Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Malfunctioning firearms

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2013, 10:10 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1691 Times on 1027 Posts
Likes Given: 355

A pre '64 Winchester 94 in .30-30. No matter what I did, or what loads i tried, or handloads I tailored, that thing wouldn't keep rounds on a pie plate at 100 yds off a bench and sandbags. Shot my Brother-in-laws Marlin 336 right next to it, and was pissed at how much better it grouped.
I've been a 336 fan ever since. Though I've had friends with fine shooting Winchester 94s, I can't bring myself to buy another.

My Olympic Arms AR15. It was my first AR and I learned a good chunck of what I klnow about ARs from that thing breaking and failing so often. Always had a tight mag well, so mags never just dropped free. The upper to lower fit was extremly tight, to the point that i had to drive the take down pin out with a mallet and a delrin punch. The bolt broke in under 500 rounds. The hammer pin cracked. Teh gas tube retaining pin walked out and left the gas tube floating and made the rifle a singe shot for a while. The gas key bolts started walking out, causing a gas key leak and more feeding issues. The front sight pins were so tight that it took a torch to heat them up to be able to drive them out once I go around to just scraping and parting the rifle out, and the front sight base turns out to be a cast part instead of a forged one. The barrel was the one redeeming quality, becausee it was always accurate. I still have the barrel, and that is the only original part I still have of that rifle.

Old 10-30-2013, 04:06 AM   #12
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1032 Times on 667 Posts
Likes Given: 5294

My mom's old Jennings J-22, and my Charter Arms AR-7. Could not get either one to cycle properly for the longest time. I wound up cleaning both, adjusting the magazine lips, and beveling the chamber on both to make them work right. Neither one is a tack driver, but at least both are now reliable. The only reason I keep the J 22 is that it belonged to my mother, and she passe away 10 years ago in July. It is one of the few things I have left to remember her by, that little better than unarmed pistol. The AR 7 is one that my wife has adopted, and the last time I fired it was over 2 years ago. Sure, I fix the FTF and FTE issues, and the only time I have fired it since was when I tested it out at the range.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem parabellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Old 10-30-2013, 04:36 AM   #13

Liked 4781 Times on 2677 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Kimber has slowly over time gone to cast parts. These casting are big cost cutters but weak links in the chain. Kimber has improved the 40% return rates of ten year ago. Most of the serious shooter have the Kimber sears, disconnectors etc. replaced with milled steel parts.