Make your own target stands
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Make your own target stands

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2008, 12:26 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Default Make your own target stands

How many times have you gone out into the great outdoors to shoot and had to utilize whatever was laying around to hold up your targets? Well, one too many times for me. As I was walking back to my house from the mailbox one day, I spied an old chaise lounge frame on the sidewalk in a trash pile. Needless to say, a light bulb went on above my head. I blogged about it here.

Anyone else make their own?

9x18=Makarov

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-24-2008, 02:39 AM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Here's one that is easier to carry

Made from pvc pipe and i built one for just a few cents over $5.00 . PLEASE don't glue it.

http://www.alphacgsn.com/warlord/leo/pvctstandc.htm

The only times in this nations history that anything great happened it was because normal men put aside their petty differences and fight for a common cause.

Chester

"The great object is that every man be armed . . . Everyone who is able may have a gun." (Patrick Henry, in the Virginia Convention on the ratification of the Constitution.)

Old 04-24-2008, 03:04 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I use campaign posters

Old 04-24-2008, 03:07 PM   #4

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

I make mine out of 3/4" PVC pipe

cut 6 2' sections, 4 1' sections, 4 4" sections
6 90* elbows
4 T-fittings
4 end caps

The main body is the 6 2' sections 2 elbows and 2 t-fittings all glued together. to form an H that is closed on top.

Take the 4 1' sections 4 4" sections 4 elbows 2 t-fittings and 4 end caps.
Glue the 1' sections to the t fitting on the two joints oppsite of eachother. Now Glue the elbows facing oppsite of the unused joint. Glue the 4 4" sections in to the elbows then glue the end caps on to the 4 4" sections.

I glue mine together so they do not fall apart. You can add sand to the feet and seal off with calking or epoxy or something like that. I do not glue the feet on so that can be taken off for transport. I use the foam craft board to mount targets too and just drilled holes in the PVC pipe and used 1.5" 1/4x20 bolts and washers.

Last edited by cpttango30; 04-24-2008 at 03:09 PM.

Old 04-24-2008, 04:06 PM   #5

Liked 2058 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

I made mine out of 2"x2" I will photo it after I get back from Georga next week end

Old 04-24-2008, 04:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Righteous View Post
I use campaign posters
Same here.

Old 04-24-2008, 05:42 PM   #7

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I once made one of PVC pipe, very similar to that one. I filled the bottom sections with lead shot to give it a bit of weight on breezy days. It worked well until my daughter put a round through one of the vertical pieces and the pipe disintigrated.

Although I didn't make them, I found that free standing garden plant hangers made of wrought iron, similar to the ones pictured, work pretty well. They are easy to move around and don't take up much room. Just stick 'em in the ground and using large metal binder clips, mount a piece of cardboard between them. Plus, they can take a bullet.

Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 04-24-2008, 11:38 PM   #8

so sorry for going a little off topic but look at this link for making your own targets

http://www.willitdetonate.com/

Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress....
But then I repeat myself.
-Mark Twain

Old 04-25-2008, 12:09 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnoll View Post
so sorry for going a little off topic but look at this link for making your own targets

http://www.willitdetonate.com/
I believe that is tannerite. You can find the recipe by doing a google search. Saves money on the book that way.

Old 04-25-2008, 02:21 AM   #10

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

I'm glad to see that others of us go the do it yourself route. I tried using campaign/realtor signs, but sometimes they're not available. They also tend to not hold up very well. I was going to go the pvc/angle iron route, but when I found that chaise frame, I knew it wouldn't cost me anything but time as I already had all the parts in the garage.

It held up to six en bloc clips from my garand without failing, so it must be good to go. If a thirty aught won't knock it over, nothing will. Except heavy guns of course....

9x18=Makarov