Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > mailbox theft/destruction

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2011, 10:40 PM   #51
hmh
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 140 Times on 96 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragunovsks
I think its total bs that anyone who reinforces thier mailboxes or takes measures to keep vehicles out of thier yard could be held responsible for damage, injuries or death that may occur. Heck if law enforcement would do something about it then people wouldnt have to errect "combat mailboxes" or set up d-day style defences to keep it thier property safe.

I have to replace my mailbox every year because of snowplows that go by on the highway throwing chunks of ice and snow into it, the door was the first to go and all winter my mail would get wet or end up in the ditch but didnt see the point in replacing it till after snowplow season.

Good luck though, hope you get it taken care of.
I work for a state dot. They have to get many miles of road clear so they have so they do not have time to slow down in front of every mailbox. But were I live after the roads are clear they go out and replace or fix broken mailboxes. After one snow last year they replaced 70+ for 5 counties. I know the road crews would love it if people built mailboxes like what are being discussed.

Old 12-18-2011, 01:01 AM   #52
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7741 Times on 4472 Posts
Likes Given: 9991

Try one of these out. It is a commercially available mailbox so that should be enough to clear you of responsibility. Fort Knox Mailbox - High security and heavy duty 1/4 inch steel locking mailboxes.

I know I am in a unique situation, but what I did was to move my mailbox off of the roadside to a turnout on my property. It takes some zigging and zagging if someone wanted to mow it over. Plus they would run a very real risk of driving into the ravine. I set the post over the edge. I got approval from the post office first though.

It seems to me that if you get a police report every time you have to replace your mailbox it should show a clear history of malicious vandalism in your neighborhood. With that recorded background and a commercially available bomb-proof mailbox like the Fort Knox you should be OK.

Old 12-18-2011, 02:36 AM   #53
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 102 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Personally, I would be furious if someone kept vandalizing my mailbox and it would be tempting to build something that makes the vandal regret hitting it again or to catch him in the act.

Just keep in mind that it is only a mailbox.

Trip and orangello both have good points in my opinion. It isn't worth being sued, arrested, or being retaliated against by a crazy person who likes to blow things up. I know how it feels to have your personal property taken, but look out for yourself first and foremost.

Old 12-18-2011, 03:11 AM   #54

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmh

I work for a state dot. They have to get many miles of road clear so they have so they do not have time to slow down in front of every mailbox. But were I live after the roads are clear they go out and replace or fix broken mailboxes. After one snow last year they replaced 70+ for 5 counties. I know the road crews would love it if people built mailboxes like what are being discussed.
Really snowplows damaging my mailbox isnt a problem to me, i mean when the weather gets bad they have to plow the roads so we can get out.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 12-18-2011, 05:10 AM   #55
Kostriker
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1750 Times on 997 Posts
Likes Given: 3530

This is an old story; but, if they steal or damage mailbox or mailboxes.

Vandals hit neighborhood mailboxes | www.toacorn.com | Thousand Oaks Acorn

"Nelson said detectives are aware of the problem and are working to combat it. Although usually perpetrated by young people, the vandalism is not considered to be just a prank, he said. Each incident of mailbox vandalism is considered a misdemeanor if the damage is under $400 and carries a penalty of six months in the county jail and/or a $1,000 fine. Causing damage over $400 is a felony that could lead to a year in state prison and a higher fine possible, he said.

According to the U.S. Post Office website, damaging a mailbox is also a federal crime since mailboxes are federal property. That means the penalty goes up to $250,000 or up to three years in prison for each act."