You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

mailbox theft/destruction

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2011, 09:12 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 499 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Mama just chased em off with a broom.

First off, your local law enforcement should be all over that, isn't it a federal offense? That's what I was told by LEO when our mailbox was destroyed, which ended in a similar story to some of the others here. We had some kids come by with a baseball bat doing about 30mph, when one of them swung at our mailbox. It was the concrete post type, set about 4 feet in the ground, no concrete in the hole, just well packed dirt. It broke both the batter's arms, and when the bat flew out of her hands it also gave her a skull fracture.

Her family also tried to sue us, but one of the things that saved us (the family eventually dropped their suit), was that we were able to prove there was nothing home made about the post, we had a receipt from a local hardware store. The Lawyer we had to retain told us that was one of the deciding factors for the other lawyer when he advised the family to drop the case.

The girl ended up with some pretty fat fines, and supposedly almost went to jail. I heard through the grapevine that her little batting practice cost her family and their insurance well over 150k. And that's not even counting the little hussy's pretty face getting ruined.
Well our post was home made and of course in the eyes of the law that was a no-no. Pretty much an unmovable object a bit too close to the shoulder of the road. Quite the hazard. Possibly lethal. It did total their parents truck and put a couple of them in the hospitol. So that was cool. At least the dreaded destroyers of mail boxes were stopped. The rest of the trouble we got into, however, wasn't really worth it.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:15 PM   #22

Liked 1385 Times on 877 Posts
Likes Given: 813

what about putting two large rocks maybe about half the height of the mailbox. put one on either side
when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:35 PM   #23

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 10

a buddy of mine is a welder for military aircraft. and what he did was made himself a mailbox out of '3 inch thick solid steel. then welded it to his fence. he had that problem too, someone was driving with a baseball bat and destroyed his mailbox 3 times. whats funny is he told me one night not too long ago he heard a loud bang come from his front yard. when he went out there, there was a broken wood baseball bat on the ground and his mailbox was still intact. he never saw who did it though. they must have hauled booty out of there.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:37 PM   #24

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

I think its total bs that anyone who reinforces thier mailboxes or takes measures to keep vehicles out of thier yard could be held responsible for damage, injuries or death that may occur. Heck if law enforcement would do something about it then people wouldnt have to errect "combat mailboxes" or set up d-day style defences to keep it thier property safe.

I have to replace my mailbox every year because of snowplows that go by on the highway throwing chunks of ice and snow into it, the door was the first to go and all winter my mail would get wet or end up in the ditch but didnt see the point in replacing it till after snowplow season.

Good luck though, hope you get it taken care of.
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 12-16-2011, 09:39 PM   #25

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragunovsks View Post
Another idea is reinforcing it in the ground, my fil had trouble with a guy running his mailbox over with a car. He used a 6 inch steel tube for the post that went about 4 feet into the ground, he had rebar welded onto the underground portion of the pipe going out in all directions up to about 3 feet out. He had to dig one hellva hole to get it in the ground, then filled the hole with concrete. Lets just say the car that hit it had to be pulled off it with a tow truck and the driver went to jail.
It some cities and states that's illegal. Setting a trap like that or the spinning/pivoting mailbox and the other destructive "tricks" mentioned. They're considered booby traps and are illegal due to the personal injury they can cause the vandals and (more importantly) the innocent people who might hit your indestructible mailboxes while trying to avoid and accident, child/animal running in the road, oncoming car in your lane etc.. I would check your local laws before putting drivers/passengers in danger for the cost of a mailbox. You would hate to be on the hook for a $20, 000 - $30,000 car/truck and even more in medical bills should someone get hurt or die.

Brick mailboxes were outlawed some years back around here for the same reason, too much damage and injuries for what it would cost to replace your mailbox. I wanted to build one after my second mailbox was hit, but was told I couldn't.

If you want to catch the vandals the cameras are the only legal and safe way to do it. Anything destructive or harmful to others could land you in jail instead.

Quote below is from 2006.
Quote:
Those big mailboxes are actually outlawed on state roads. Georgia Department of Transportation code says "a mailbox installed with a support structure of stone or masonry...is considered a Right of Way Encroachment." Such encroachments are unlawful on "any public road."
Couldn't verify this story, but real or not it's the reason they're outlawed.

Truck Collides with Brick Mailbox, Killing One | wltx.com

Brick Mailboxes Illegal Along State Roads - News Story - WSOC Charlotte

Old 12-16-2011, 09:46 PM   #26

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 10

i get where your coming from. due to experience... i fell asleep at the wheel heading home from work one night. and destroyed the front end of my 1976 dodge 100... believe me i was not too happy about the entire situation

Old 12-16-2011, 09:47 PM   #27

Liked 5756 Times on 3368 Posts
Likes Given: 4889

For what little actually comes through the USPS, it might be simpler not to have a box, just a P.O. Box to check weekly.

I just think busting them with a NV camera would be fun.

edit* Until you get this worked out, howsabout you paint Obama's face on the side of the box?

Last edited by orangello; 12-16-2011 at 10:01 PM.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:56 PM   #28

Liked 499 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 50

Knew a guy who actually welded 2 foot long razor sharp spikes all around the 3" thick solid steel post on his mailbox up on the boulevard. He did this because his box was always getting run over. This was in the late 1960's and he owned a metal fab shop further down the same boulevard.

Well about after four or so months a motorcyclist impailed himself on this mailbox post and it killed him instantly. It was pretty gruesome. The guy with this mideval mailbox post lost his house, lost his business, and went to jail for the death of this man.

Old 12-16-2011, 10:03 PM   #29

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello
For what little actually comes through the USPS, it might be simpler not to have a box, just a P.O. Box to check weekly.

I just think busting them with a NV camera would be fun.

edit* Until you get this worked out, howsabout you paint Obama's face on the side of the box?
Wouldnt that attract more damage? At least it would in my neck of the woods...haha
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 12-16-2011, 10:13 PM   #30

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlin-owner View Post
i get where your coming from. due to experience... i fell asleep at the wheel heading home from work one night. and destroyed the front end of my 1976 dodge 100... believe me i was not too happy about the entire situation
On one hand we get tired of replacing mailboxes and need to "teach" the vandals a lesson. But the last thing I want to do is injure, kill or destroy the vehicle of someone who innocently drives off the road. Had it been my mailbox you hit I would've felt like a horses ass for the damage to your truck and even worse had you been hurt or killed.

If we could design a mailbox and post that would retract to ground level when not in use it would solve our problems.