mailbox theft/destruction - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

mailbox theft/destruction

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2011, 06:44 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker
Stay up one night and go "hunting".
The first time it happened the person also did a doughnut in our yard too. This was my idea and my wife is highly against it.

Old 12-16-2011, 06:47 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragunovsks
This idea was once given to me by a sheriffs deputy in my county.

Bolt the bottom plate (2x6 under the box) to the post with a long lag bolt with washers down the center line of the post but not centered on the post. What you want is for the post to be closer to the front of the box. Next put a small nail through the bottom plate into the post and leave the lag bolt a little loose. Then mount your mailbox to the post.

A friend of mine did this to his. When the trouble makers hit his mailbox with a ballbat it pivoted around on the lag bolt breaking loose the small nail and the longer back end of his mailbox smashed out the small side window of the teens truck. If they try to get you to pay to replace the window then you know who did it and can report them.
The problem with this idea is they haven't used a ball bat. The one time they destroyed it; they removed it and ran over it or something. The pole was fine just the box removed and destroyed.

Old 12-16-2011, 06:54 PM   #13

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Another idea is reinforcing it in the ground, my fil had trouble with a guy running his mailbox over with a car. He used a 6 inch steel tube for the post that went about 4 feet into the ground, he had rebar welded onto the underground portion of the pipe going out in all directions up to about 3 feet out. He had to dig one hellva hole to get it in the ground, then filled the hole with concrete. Lets just say the car that hit it had to be pulled off it with a tow truck and the driver went to jail.
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 12-16-2011, 06:56 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

http://www.amazon.com/Lorex-LW2110-Wireless-Digital-Security/dp/B004T9Y0MW/ref=br_lf_m_1000751501_1_10_ttl?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIK X0DER&s=photo&pf_rd_p=1333356262&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_t=1401&pf_rd_i=1000751501&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIK X0DER&pf_rd_r=0QXNRPDR9WYPJ4EE1D2P

The one i got for my sis was similar to this, but not the same brand.

Old 12-16-2011, 07:19 PM   #15
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2879 Times on 1580 Posts
Likes Given: 810

We were having some vandalism problems when I lived in CA. The 3rd time I replaced the mailbox, I made the pole out of 3" rigid pipe and poured it in concrete. Filled the pipe too. I then boxed the pipe with wood and mounted the mailbox. There is going to be a lot of damage if someone hits that mailbox. One night I heard some mailboxes being hit and went out to mine with an aluminum bat. It was not kids that were smashing the boxes. These guys were in their mid 20's. They had their plates covered but the police got a description. They just missed the yard with big rocks across the street avoiding me. No mailboxes were smashed for quite a while. My son used pipe for his mailbox pole and welded his mailbox out of 1/4" steel plate. Anybody its that mailbox with a bat is going to be hurting.
The neighbor on the corner across the street was getting tire tracks on his front yard so he put in some rocks that were just high enough to high center a car and some other rocks that would stop a truck. He found a couple of abandoned cars in his yard and some bad scrapes on the big rocks. He found one rock in the street and an oil trail.

Old 12-16-2011, 07:35 PM   #16

Liked 374 Times on 255 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Back in the 1970's we had a similar problem with our mailbox at the ranch. The mailbox was on a rural road along with about 12 or so other boxes on this road spread about a mile and a half apart. It commenced one summer that about every 2 weeks or so that someone would run them over during the early AM. We had repoaced the box and post about 7 or so times and were fed up with it.

So my brother and his friend decided to fix the problem for good. They went to the store and bought 8 or 9 12' long pieces of 1/2" round rebar. Then they dug a hole with a post hole digger and a trenching shovel about 8 ' deep and 8" in diameter. They then put a few sections of 6" stove pipe into the hole and placed all the pieces of 12' long rebar in it. They then filled the hole with the rebar in it and the stove pipe to about 4' above the ground with cement. The stove pipe acted like a form or mold and it was a shooth surface to be painted above ground. When it cured they placed a new mailbox on it and painted the stove pipe around the cement with white enamel paint and stuck yellow reflective tape strips around it. It sat about 4' inbound off the shoulder of the road. The finished job looked real good and stood for a few weeks.

Then one morning we go to the road and find that the post with the mailbox is leaning about 30 degrees and upon closer inspection there is alot of motor oil and antifreeze on the ground around the mailbox and heavy duty extra deep post. Also there is some glass, chrome, and grill parts laying close by as well. Upon further inspectrion all other mailboxes down the road were flattened again. This aparently happened on a Friday night or early Saturday morning.

Three weeks later 5 boys in their late teens came to our house and said that they were told by the local judge to fix the mailboxes on this road as they had been caught running them over. Part of their punishment. We asked how they got caught and they said it was our mailbox that stopped them. They further said that they hit it at 45MPH and it stopped their 1968 Ford F-250 truck cold and that it had totaled the truck. Also two of the boys were threw through the windshield and one was still in the hospitol from going through the windshield. These guys were still real bad busted up and were lucky they were all alive. Later we were sued by the parents of the boy still in the hospitol and our home owners policy paid them off. We were also told by the law to not put up another post for our mailbox like that so near a public road. We went back to a 4"X4" wood post and never had our mailbox run over again.

Last edited by mrm14; 12-16-2011 at 07:43 PM.

Old 12-16-2011, 07:39 PM   #17
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3467 Times on 1987 Posts
Likes Given: 1520

Game camera should be able to do the trick.

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 12-16-2011, 08:02 PM   #18

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

In my hometown there is a guy that put concrete "dragon's teeth" in his yard bordering the road because the county road made a 90 degree left turn just before his yard. It was a 15 mph speed limit. After school alot high school kids going that way to the highway would go into the turn too hot and overshoot right into his yard. He got tired of his yard looking like a rutted up construction site. Ive seen more than a few cars and trucks sitting up on those concrete triangles with bent bumpers and smashed oil pans.
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 12-16-2011, 08:03 PM   #19

Liked 9211 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Mama just chased em off with a broom.

First off, your local law enforcement should be all over that, isn't it a federal offense? That's what I was told by LEO when our mailbox was destroyed, which ended in a similar story to some of the others here. We had some kids come by with a baseball bat doing about 30mph, when one of them swung at our mailbox. It was the concrete post type, set about 4 feet in the ground, no concrete in the hole, just well packed dirt. It broke both the batter's arms, and when the bat flew out of her hands it also gave her a skull fracture.

Her family also tried to sue us, but one of the things that saved us (the family eventually dropped their suit), was that we were able to prove there was nothing home made about the post, we had a receipt from a local hardware store. The Lawyer we had to retain told us that was one of the deciding factors for the other lawyer when he advised the family to drop the case.

The girl ended up with some pretty fat fines, and supposedly almost went to jail. I heard through the grapevine that her little batting practice cost her family and their insurance well over 150k. And that's not even counting the little hussy's pretty face getting ruined.

Old 12-16-2011, 08:09 PM   #20
hmh

Liked 187 Times on 128 Posts

Ir flash game camera. And you can take a big mailbox set a small one inside of it in concrete mount it to a good pole. When they hit it with a bat it will ring there hands so bad they will not want to do it again. And if they run it over it should cause enuf damage to persuade them that it isn't worth it. It shouldn't seriously injure though