Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   mailbox theft/destruction (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/mailbox-theft-destruction-53695/)

bkt_tater 12-16-2011 06:01 PM

mailbox theft/destruction

:mad::mad:

History: My wife and her family lived in our current house. They bought the house next door, and moved in there. We got married and moved into our house.

Current: In the past year, we have had to replace our mailbox several times. Someone has stolen our mailbox 2 times, destroyed our mailbox 1 time, removed the mailbox from the pole 1 time, and last night someone (with some serious gonads) dug up the concrete and all. It has a cubic foot of concrete on the bottom on the pole (almost a whole bag) and is heavy as he//.

But I'm tired of having to deal with this. The local LEO's (county patrol officer) have told us there is nothing they can do unless we can prove who is doing it. I have thought about applying some low voltage/high current to give them a real adrenaline rush when they mess with it. :p But that is against the law.

Any ideas to help relieve this issue?

winds-of-change 12-16-2011 06:08 PM

I was going to suggest mount it in cement but I see you did and they dug it out of the cement. GEEZE. Do you have a mailbox made out of gold????

I've seen mailboxes fully encased in a brick and mortar structure.

How To Build a Brick Mailbox : How-To : DIY Network

orangello 12-16-2011 06:22 PM

Get an inexpensive wireless surveillance camera and the shinyest, fancyest mailbox you can find. Revenge!

BTW, i picked up a little nightvision wireless camera & receiver setup for about $45 last month. Christmas gift for a sister with a chicken thief. You only get about 30-50 foot of nightvision, though.

bkt_tater 12-16-2011 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winds-of-change
I was going to suggest mount it in cement but I see you did and they dug it out of the cement. GEEZE. Do you have a mailbox made out of gold????

I've seen mailboxes fully encased in a brick and mortar structure.

How To Build a Brick Mailbox : How-To : DIY Network

Nope. No gold. I've thought about bricking it, but figure they'd just knock it over then. Not as easy to fix.

fmj 12-16-2011 06:29 PM

Build you one lika this!!!

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...5cal/15412.jpg

But yeah, one of those Infra red trail cameras with video option would the way to go.

texaswoodworker 12-16-2011 06:30 PM

Stay up one night and go "hunting". :D

bkt_tater 12-16-2011 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangello
Get an inexpensive wireless surveillance camera and the shinyest, fancyest mailbox you can find. Revenge!

BTW, i picked up a little nightvision wireless camera & receiver setup for about $45 last month. Christmas gift for a sister with a chicken thief. You only get about 30-50 foot of nightvision, though.

Well I tried using my deer cam (I thought it had infrared) but the FLASH was way to bright and scared drivers-by. I was instructed to remove it due to road hazard.

I need to look more into the wireless security systems.

bkt_tater 12-16-2011 06:33 PM

I've also thought about using high gauge steel and making a pole/ tube that the mailbox goes into. And also attaching an old car spring attached to the pole via weld. That way if someone hits it with a car it hits them back several times.

dragunovsks 12-16-2011 06:40 PM

This idea was once given to me by a sheriffs deputy in my county.

Bolt the bottom plate (2x6 under the box) to the post with a long lag bolt with washers down the center line of the post but not centered on the post. What you want is for the post to be closer to the front of the box. Next put a small nail through the bottom plate into the post and leave the lag bolt a little loose. Then mount your mailbox to the post.

A friend of mine did this to his. When the trouble makers hit his mailbox with a ballbat it pivoted around on the lag bolt breaking loose the small nail and the longer back end of his mailbox smashed out the small side window of the teens truck. If they try to get you to pay to replace the window then you know who did it and can report them.

bkt_tater 12-16-2011 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texaswoodworker
Stay up one night and go "hunting". :D

I've thought about that, but usually it happens during the weekend (this being the first time during the week). And basically I go to work Friday afternoon and don't get off till Monday night (usually I have enough time each night to get home and sleep about 5-6 hours) not really able to do this.