Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > For MACH1337

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2010, 03:53 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 15 Times on 6 Posts

Default For MACH1337

Grandfathers stories

Those who know me or have followed my stories also know I teach Hunter Safety courses for the Colorado Division of Wildlife. Saturday I was teaching such a course and I had a mixed class of girls, boys, women and men. There were two blonde haired girls about 13, 14 years old sitting in the front row. They were very attentive and doing excellent note taking. In short they were the ideal students, paying attention and studying hard.
After the class was over their parents had not come to pick them up so we were talking together while waiting in the parking lot.
One of the little girls told me that I looked exactly like their Grandpa. The other one chimed in and said that he had a jacket just like I was wearing with his name on it. (I was wearing a North American Hunting Club jacket)Then they both were telling me how their Grandpa would tell them hunting stories and stories about him when he was young. They went on to tell me that he told them tales of his Army days during the War and how much they loved to hear his stories. They talked about their Grandpa with such loving looks in their eyes and smiles on their faces, that I thought to myself these girls were truly loved and had such a wonderful relationship with their mother's father.

Now the Grandfather could have just given the girls gifts at Christmas or maybe some money in a birthday card as so many Grandfathers do. But he did not. Instead he gave them some of himself. He gave them his time. He gave them personal attention. He was a real person to them, someone they admired and loved. What a wonderful thing for someone to do. All to often we try to buy our children and grandchildren's attention and love. But from the happy looks on these little girls faces their Grandfather gave them something that money could never buy. He gave them a real loving and attentive Grandfather. I was proud to accept their compliment. That I looked like their Grandfather, and that I told stories like he did.
What have you done for your children or grandkids lately? Have you bought them something or have you given them your love and attention. Do you think they will remember the money? I know they will remember the love.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-14-2010, 02:11 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8316 Times on 3595 Posts
Likes Given: 1280

Sarge- I have 7 grandkids (and one is going to make me a greatgrandad about next April).

However, I have one little girl that lost her dad before she was born. Besides the doc that delivered her, I was the first person that held her. She has been my shadow for 14 years now. We have fished, hiked part of the Appalachian Trail, and shoot together (She is a Coloradan, born in Aurora). we have done gun shows, museums, battlefields, and shopped for a dress for a first dance.

When my lady and I were raising our kids, I was doing a lot of TDY, no money, short on time, and short on sleep. we did a lot of things together, but I have become convinced that life should be reversed- give us our kids when we are older, and have the time (and sometimes, the money) to do things with them. As our kids become grown, we should grow younger, and then go to work. Still trying to figure out how to do that, tho.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 11-14-2010, 02:23 AM   #3

Default Kids

I am with you on that. My son was dating a young lady with a 5 month old baby boy and I just lost my heart to the little tike. Watching my son feed the baby and hold him on his chest while the little guy slept was something I have wanted to see since I can remember. Unfortunately the girl friend was a drinker and a liar and finally my son told her to move out and find another sucker. I know he felt as bad as I did about losing the little guy. We both were happy the mother left tho. As she carried the last box of her possessions out the door I whispered to my son, "Ask her if we can keep the baby" It was a good try but...
Sarge

Old 11-14-2010, 05:47 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Great story sarge. my favorite grandfather was the one that i got to spend the least amount of time with. but the thing was when i was with him the only thing we did was spend time together hunting fishing hiking things of that nature. all the other i spent time with but not like i did with him.

"Which is heavier a soldiers pack or a slaves chains" Napoleon
"We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."Thomas Jefferson
"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."
-- Rush Limbaugh, in a moment of unaccustomed profundity
"No combat-ready unit ever passed inspection, and no inspection-ready unit ever passed combat."

Old 11-15-2010, 02:33 AM   #5

Default Grandfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach1337 View Post
Great story sarge. my favorite grandfather was the one that i got to spend the least amount of time with. but the thing was when i was with him the only thing we did was spend time together hunting fishing hiking things of that nature. all the other i spent time with but not like i did with him.
I am glad you liked it. Your reply to my other post reminded me of that story I wrote a some time ago. I dug it up and addressed it to you so you would see it and read it. I didn't have much in the way of Grandfathers. My paternal grandfather died before I was born. My maternal grandfather was a full blood Indian (Yaqui) and could not speak very much but spanish. I did have uncles that served the post of grandfathers and I remember them well.
Sarge

Old 11-15-2010, 02:45 AM   #6

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I started out a grandfather short, as my Mothers father left her mom before she was ever born. However I love the papa i have very dearly and i remember spending alot of time at his house and hanging out with him when i was younger. I cant do much with him now as he lives in nashville and is of ill health. I keep trying to get him to go fishing with me every summer but he just doesnt feel up to it anymore ( he was an avid fisherman when i was younger and him and my dad taught me how to fish at the aerator downstream from norris dam).

I live next door to my sister so i see her kids/my niece and nephews every day. I do my best to teach them what i know and i always have. My eldest nephew comes to me often telling me about how he learned something in school today that he already knew because he remembered me teaching him it before he was in school. I didn't know kids could remember that far back but i guess it stuck with him.

I am getting a little .22 plinker for christmas with the primary intention of teaching my neice and 2 nephews (along with my girlfriend and sister) how to shoot and more importantly the love and respect of firearms that they should have and need in my opinion. I will have to wait a few years before i can let my youngest nehpew near a gun as he is just one of those kids that wont listen... if you know what i mean. Ive seen enough trying to teach him how to handle a bb gun to know he isnt ready to handle an actual firearm yet.

I don't really have anything to give them except what little knowledge i have gained in the time i have been on this earth.. Which isn't all the much time.

Old 11-15-2010, 04:32 AM   #7

Default Kids

You have more than you think. At one time I thought the same way but I was thinking of material things. Now I wish I had spent more time with my boys and less time teaching other peoples kids.
I urge you to start writing down all the things you remember from your childhood to adulthood. And even the things that others have told you. (Stories from your relatives etc.) That is why I am posting all these stories. I lost my two sons and can never tell them these stories. But I can keep a file and maybe a book of them for my grandson and grand daughter. And for my one remaining son and any kids he produces. I hope they will read the stories and see what kind a guy their father, grandfather was.