Mach 5.1 aircraft - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Mach 5.1 aircraft

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2013, 04:32 AM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1274 Times on 709 Posts
Likes Given: 549

Lots of times the government does things just to see if they can be done. There doesn't have to be a grand plan and quite frequently it's hard to discern that there ever was a plan.

Old 05-07-2013, 02:46 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7027 Times on 3891 Posts
Likes Given: 6764

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbd512 View Post
Lots of times the government does things just to see if they can be done. There doesn't have to be a grand plan and quite frequently it's hard to discern that there ever was a plan.
Ya mean like JFK vowing to put a man con the moon?

Old 05-07-2013, 05:15 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1788 Times on 1171 Posts
Likes Given: 1552

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
Nah more like LBJ's "War on Poverty"

“Somebody has to speak for these people. Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything, I know this—they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people...better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave.” Mal Reynolds Serenity/Firefly

Old 05-07-2013, 05:57 PM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2159 Times on 1280 Posts
Likes Given: 1086

That better than a mile a second! It would not take long to get from coast to coast at that rate!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 05-07-2013, 07:10 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
That better than a mile a second! It would not take long to get from coast to coast at that rate!

Do ya think that a pioneer could have imagined traveling from St. Joe to the Willamette valley in 20 minutes??

Old 05-08-2013, 12:46 AM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1274 Times on 709 Posts
Likes Given: 549

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
Going to the moon was a hell of a lot better use of our money and people than fighting wars without realistic objectives and entitlement programs that can't possibly be funded to the levels required for sustainment.

What's sad is that we didn't continue with our exploration objectives. We have the technology, right now and today, to put a man on Mars.

We can and should continue our space exploration and stop wasting money and lives killing people who can't read and write their own names.
Old 05-09-2013, 02:58 PM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbd512 View Post
Going to the moon was a hell of a lot better use of our money and people than fighting wars without realistic objectives and entitlement programs that can't possibly be funded to the levels required for sustainment.

What's sad is that we didn't continue with our exploration objectives. We have the technology, right now and today, to put a man on Mars.

We can and should continue our space exploration and stop wasting money and lives killing people who can't read and write their own names.
Well said. But money wasted in those wars is a mere pittance compared to the amount wasted on buying votes for the democRAT party, through social programs.

The cost of Obamacare alone could put a COLONY on Mars.

Old 05-09-2013, 03:36 PM   #28

Liked 159 Times on 96 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFlynt
The one that has me wondering is the X-37, I really wonder what it was doing the 6 months or so it was up in space on the 2 missions it has flown.
There are websites out there that I've seen dedicated to narrowing that very question down. Composed mostly of amateur satellite skywatchers, they video observable overflights and compute general trajectories of these flights. Also, I would imagine much of its 2 test flights involved the launch and possible recovery of specialized micro satellites it carries in its cargo bay.

The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved

Last edited by MoreAltitude; 05-09-2013 at 03:47 PM.

Old 05-09-2013, 05:13 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1788 Times on 1171 Posts
Likes Given: 1552

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreAltitude View Post
There are websites out there that I've seen dedicated to narrowing that very question down. Composed mostly of amateur satellite skywatchers, they video observable overflights and compute general trajectories of these flights. Also, I would imagine much of its 2 test flights involved the launch and possible recovery of specialized micro satellites it carries in its cargo bay.
Could you post up one or two sites you've piqued my curiosity!

“Somebody has to speak for these people. Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything, I know this—they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people...better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave.” Mal Reynolds Serenity/Firefly

Old 05-09-2013, 06:45 PM   #30

Liked 159 Times on 96 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFlynt

Could you post up one or two sites you've piqued my curiosity!
Some options-

1.) Mainly (although not practical if your not really into this kinda stuff) is a general satellite watcher mailing list. These guys are
"ON THE BALL" with this stuff, and are the ones with the best unfiltered tracking data.

http://mailman.satobs.org/mailman/listinfo/seesat-l

-> Example of a message concerning the X-37: http://satobs.org/seesat/Aug-2010/0249.html

2.) Traditional websites

http://www.spacedaily.com/# (General space news but was putting out good stuff when the x-37 was flying)

http://www.n2yo.com/ (Real time satellite tracking and predictions)

http://www.heavens-above.com/
Summary for the X-37b -> http://www.heavens-above.com/PassSummary.aspx?
satid=39025&lat=0&lng=0&loc=Unspecified&alt=0&tz=U CT

Interestingly, some of you were discussing the SR-71 earlier messages. The X-37b actually brings back a lot of the usefulness that made the SR-71 so effective when compared to fixed satellites, eg; the capability of customizing sensor packages for specific missions, instead of one size fits all approach when using traditional sats. Basically, X-37B can deliver the best of both worlds. Not only that, word is they can "fly" it during re-entry to such an extent that it has the capability to be launched and landed in an orbit or less making tracking extremely difficult even for nation-states.(or so they speculate)

The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved

Last edited by MoreAltitude; 05-09-2013 at 07:35 PM.