Mach 5.1 aircraft
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Mach 5.1 aircraft

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2013, 07:04 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3861 Times on 2305 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Default Mach 5.1 aircraft

This would make an excellent first strike weapon, or put it on a rollercoaster.

http://news.yahoo.com/experimental-air-force-aircraft-goes-hypersonic-191935934.html

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-04-2013, 01:48 PM   #2
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2169 Times on 1182 Posts
Likes Given: 786

Yowzer! That's fast.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 05-04-2013, 02:34 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5828 Times on 3295 Posts
Likes Given: 5307

Let's just hope that our isolationist, anti military POTUS has enough common sense to finalize this system and get several thousand of them deployed ASAP.

The possibilities here are endless. Not just as a strike craft, but an almost real time recon vehicle and possibly as a launch platform for an advanced missile interceptor.

And think of the psychological value.

Winston Churchill

Old 05-04-2013, 04:51 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1226 Times on 835 Posts
Likes Given: 1244

Hell yes thats fast, they estimate that the speed of a Scramjet could theoretically reach 15 to 25 times the speed of sound...........

When all else fails.

Old 05-04-2013, 07:57 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1786 Times on 1170 Posts
Likes Given: 1540

Pretty cool but for now I'll stick with the X-15: Mach 6.7 with a pilot on board

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/dryden/news/FactSheets/FS-052-DFRC.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_X-15

“Somebody has to speak for these people. Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything, I know this—they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people...better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave.” Mal Reynolds Serenity/Firefly

WebleyFosbery38 Likes This 
Old 05-04-2013, 09:39 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1620 Times on 869 Posts
Likes Given: 2634

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFlynt View Post
Pretty cool but for now I'll stick with the X-15: Mach 6.7 with a pilot on board

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/dryden/news/FactSheets/FS-052-DFRC.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_X-15
And they mapped all that out in smoke filled rooms using slide rules with pencils behind their ears.

Old 05-04-2013, 10:03 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1104 Times on 612 Posts
Likes Given: 469

A functioning scramjet "wave rider" capable of hypersonic speeds is "leap ahead" technology.

This will mean we can make long range, fuel-efficient missiles with very simple, from a manufacturing standpoint, propulsion technology.

The pilot is a limiting factor for manned aircraft, but I can see high-speed recon drone overflights being a definite possibility. That is, until our enemies perfect working rail guns or DEW's.

We already have rail guns and DEW's, but we're just starting to deploy them.

Old 05-05-2013, 12:06 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5828 Times on 3295 Posts
Likes Given: 5307

I have to laugh when I think of the reports from 10-15 years ago about the USAF testing the "Aurora" (which, of course, didn't exist) at a secret base in Nevada which also didn't exist..

The AF tried to get the UFO crowd interested to "explain" it, but most retired USAF pilots and techies didn't buy into that.

Winston Churchill

Old 05-05-2013, 03:23 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1104 Times on 612 Posts
Likes Given: 469

The Groom Lake facility exists, I just don't think the Air Force has "UFO's" there. It does or did, however, test a lot of unconventional and highly classified aviation-related technology there.

At one point in time, the Air Force actually tested "flying saucers". The technology was abandoned because the engines of the day weren't powerful enough to make flying saucers supersonic, even though the disc lifting body technology is or should be the most efficient airframe form for what the Air Force wanted to use the disc lifting body for. We have far better and more efficient turbine technology now, but so far as I know they've not shown any further interest in testing that type of airframe. There are probably more efficient technologies available now for supersonic flight, like the "wave rider" airframes.

If memory serves, the XB-70 and to a lesser extent the SR-71, were the first airframes to use compression lift to boost efficiency at supersonic speeds. By designing hypersonic airframes with appropriate lifting surfaces, the effect of compression lift further improves fuel efficiency and lessens the amount of thrust it takes to keep the airframe hypersonic.

I'm very interested in what they want to use the technology for. You could potentially engineer lower cost single-stage-to-orbit vehicles with scramjets. They tested a variety of boosting technologies in decades past- everything from conventional rockets to carrier aircraft to special electromagnetic acceleration ramps (rail guns).

Old 05-05-2013, 03:25 AM   #10
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2169 Times on 1182 Posts
Likes Given: 786

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
I have to laugh when I think of the reports from 10-15 years ago about the USAF testing the "Aurora" (which, of course, didn't exist) at a secret base in Nevada which also didn't exist..

The AF tried to get the UFO crowd interested to "explain" it, but most retired USAF pilots and techies didn't buy into that.
Towards the end of his career in the USAF, my father ran into another officer who he had gone through some of his early training with. Turns out, he had eventually wound up working in "black projects".

The only thing he could tell him about his job was that anything the Air Force is willing to let people know about, they are testing technology 25 years in the future.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA
locutus Likes This