M1s for all!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > M1s for all!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2009, 05:12 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default M1s for all!

Or 100 000 anyway...

South Korea planning sale of 86,000 Garand rifles to US citizens

'South Korea's defence ministry has announced plans to sell up to 86,000 M1 Garand rifles to gun enthusiasts and collectors in the United States. Along with a reported 22,000 M1 carbine rifles, the total value of firearms for sale exceeds $100 million.

The U.S. government has approved the plan for sales of the rifles, which were originally given to South Korea as part of a U.S. aid program in the 1950's.

The M1 is reportedly the first semi-automatic rifle generally issued to the infantry of any nation and saw service in the U.S. military from 1936-1966, primarily during World War II, the Korean War, and the Vietnam War. Subsequently, the M1 became a highly sought after collectors item, particularly through the Civilian Marksmanship Program. The U.S. military also sells surplus M1 rifles through the program.

A well-maintained Garand is both accurate and reliable, and the rifle is popular for hunting, target shooting, competitive shooting, military parades and reenactments as well as being prized collector pieces.

South Korea expects this sale to raise tens of millions of dollars.'

South-Korea-planning-sale-of-86000-Garand-rifles-to-US-citizens

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-24-2009, 05:21 AM   #2

OOH, I'll take one! (or 2) The M1 is a great all purpose firearm in what I think is the perfect caliber (for a rifle, not that good for a side arm). Interesting post, I will do research now, thanks!

The truth was always the truth, even before anyone figured it out. It always was and always will be.

Old 09-24-2009, 01:47 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I wonder if there will be any left after the collectors finish.

Old 09-24-2009, 03:02 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I had two Inland M1 carbines that are long gone, but I do have a 1943 Springfield M1 Garand. It's mostly Springfield with a Winchester bolt and a Buffalo barrel and it's a sweet shooter.

If someone has a chance to pick one up, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by how nice they are.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-24-2009, 03:44 PM   #5

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Let's do the math. If they expect "tens of millions of dollars" for 100,000 rifles, then each rifle will have an average cost of..........

Old 09-24-2009, 05:39 PM   #6

Any indication who will be bringing these into the U.S.? Maybe the NRA can buy them for their Civilian Marksmanship Program. CMP Home

Check out: GUN FRIENDLY

Old 09-24-2009, 05:57 PM   #7

Most likely rack grade quality or worse. Depending on the price and the condition of the rifle, these may or may not be a good deal for the shooter, but may make great wall hangers. From my own experience with garrands, the best way to go is get one form the CMP. I own two ..........markerdown

USAF, Retired .. "From My Cold Dead Hands!"

"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." ........ Edward R. Murrow

Old 09-24-2009, 06:34 PM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Hopefully they go through CMP!

Old 09-24-2009, 06:49 PM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Nope wont go through CMP. Just checked their forum CMP Discussion Forum - Will the CMP get any of the South Korean returns?
We Gave them to S.Korea, now they're gonna sell them back.
86,000 M1 and 22,000 carbines together valued at 130 billion won (108 million dollars)
108,000 rifles at $1000 each possibly more with import fees/taxes/profit

Old 09-24-2009, 07:34 PM   #10

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post
Nope wont go through CMP. Just checked their forum CMP Discussion Forum - Will the CMP get any of the South Korean returns?
We Gave them to S.Korea, now they're gonna sell them back.
86,000 M1 and 22,000 carbines together valued at 130 billion won (108 million dollars)
108,000 rifles at $1000 each possibly more with import fees/taxes/profit
Uh yeah, they should be handed out free to us. We paid for them already with our taxes....

9x18=Makarov