You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Lyme Disease

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2013, 12:41 PM   #41
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2281 Times on 1442 Posts
Likes Given: 5423

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer1 View Post
$1200? Sheesh. Maybe you can wash some dishes for them.
That is the big kick in the rear right there; when you're that sick it's really hard to earn the money for stuff like medicine because you are sick!

Vikingdad, I really hope it makes a difference for you.
dango Likes This 
Old 11-23-2013, 02:10 AM   #42
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9095 Times on 5278 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

I forgot to mention, the "regular" price for Mepron is over $10,000 a bottle (30 days), the $1,500 is the lower "negotiated" price through my insurance- and what I am responsible for (hey, look at the bright side. The stuff tastes like crap so I won't be taking more than I have to and run out early).There is no other drug on the planet that works against this co-infection, Babesia. This blood parasite is related to Malaria and has many of the same symptoms, including fevers, drenching night sweats, headaches, oxygen starvation even under little exertion. Oh. And death. Did I mention that? At least I am not a igh risk for that symptom though because I am in generally good health, and I have a spleen.

http://www.lymedisease.org/lyme101/coinfections/babesia.html

I also received the results for the $1,400 blood tests I had done. Looks pretty clear that I am indeed infected. I think there was some Erlichia and Bartonella in there and maybe a few others. I'm too wiped out to get up and look.
dango Likes This 
Old 11-23-2013, 02:15 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker View Post
That is the big kick in the rear right there; when you're that sick it's really hard to earn the money for stuff like medicine because you are sick!

Yeah, the worst part is that I have been dealing with this for around 15 years now, and also been unemployed for nearly all of the time I have been actively symptomatic. I try to get work but I just fall apart and can't do it. its tough to describe, but believe me it is devastating. Back in Spring I an old friend called me out of the blue with some work and it turned into a full time job, but I was not able to handle the grind and so it only lasted 3 or 4 months.
dango Likes This 
Old 11-23-2013, 02:55 AM   #44
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
Yeah, the worst part is that I have been dealing with this for around 15 years now, and also been unemployed for nearly all of the time I have been actively symptomatic. I try to get work but I just fall apart and can't do it. its tough to describe, but believe me it is devastating. Back in Spring I an old friend called me out of the blue with some work and it turned into a full time job, but I was not able to handle the grind and so it only lasted 3 or 4 months.
I was really worried when my problems started as to whether or not I would be able to continue working - after I got well enough to not have to worry about staying alive. I was out of work for 2 years before I figured out the food allergies. Notice I said "I" figured it out- my blood pressure just went up a few points thinking about those dumb a** doctors I had to pay money to tell me it was all in my head or I must have been on drugs. Fortunately I was in a position that I could be out of work for 2 years but I also realize how fortunate I was and that most aren't nearly so lucky. I never realized just how much people have to go through with a serious illness until it hit me. It just sucks and you're hit with a catch 22 at every turn.

Thankfully you figured it out and can see the light at the end of the tunnel - and not the one with departed family members saying "Hi". Hang in there a little longer and things will start heading in the right direction again.
People Like This 
Old 11-23-2013, 02:56 AM   #45
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4041 Times on 2621 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker View Post

I was trying to make a funny, evidently I failed again. Sorry if offended anyone.

A guy at work missed some days a couple weeks ago, I asked him today how he was doing. He said fine, the pain is gone. I asked what kind of pain, he said sharp stabbing pains in the ribs, and the docs are clueless ad to why. I immediately thought of this thread, showed him vikingdads list of symptoms, and the websites for testing. He didn't say much, especially when I told of the testing costs and px coats.
Old 11-23-2013, 03:13 AM   #46
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer1 View Post
I was trying to make a funny, evidently I failed again. Sorry if offended anyone.

A guy at work missed some days a couple weeks ago, I asked him today how he was doing. He said fine, the pain is gone. I asked what kind of pain, he said sharp stabbing pains in the ribs, and the docs are clueless ad to why. I immediately thought of this thread, showed him vikingdads list of symptoms, and the websites for testing. He didn't say much, especially when I told of the testing costs and px coats.
I certainly wasn't offended and I hope Vikingdad or anyone else wasn't. I just wanted to point out just how hard it is financially when you get hit with an illness. It really is one catch 22 after another. The doctors and pharmacies all have to get paid but their clients are the least able to pay because they are sick. I'm really starting to rethink socialized medicine and how our healthcare currently works - or doesn't.
dango Likes This 
Old 11-23-2013, 03:45 AM   #47

I wasn't offended. Remember? Thick skin! I didn't even think of being offended (matter of fact I though it was good advice!)
dango Likes This 
Old 11-23-2013, 04:17 AM   #48
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

When someone says , I think o pizzed them off. Not the first time here.
Old 11-23-2013, 04:23 AM   #49

Oh, and yes, I am going through a divorce right now too. I filed for the divorce and found out that I have Lyme etc. within a week or so of each other. Quite honestly I am better off this way as my (ex) wife was hindering me more than helping going back several years now. We have both known for quite a few years that there was something wrong, but she was absolutely convinced that it was PTSD from an accident I was in back in 1998 when in fact it appears that the trauma of the accident is what triggered the Lyme disease (and other co-infections) to become symptomatic, and they then grew more and more problematic over the years since then.

With all of the doctors I have visited over they years, more so in the past 2 or 3 years, I have been asking my wife to go with me because I could not begin to explain what was happening to me and needed her there to help explain the symptoms and concerns that she had. Many of the issues she has with me revolve around some personality changes that began with the accident (and are also symptoms of Lyme) and I cannot see these things from my side of it, so I needed her to go and explain it.

With one doctor there was a barrage of questions and tests that I had to complete before going in, then they ask that "someone close to you" fill out several sections of that same questionnaire. I had already filled out several pages and handed her my computer with the pages she was supposed to fill out starting on something like Page 10 and told her to fill out the questions only in that section, and if she had any questions or problems to ask me.

About 20 minutes later she exclaims "That's not true!" and goes on the berate me over some of my answers, get this, HALFWAY DOWN THE PAGE ON PAGE 2!!!!. I asked her why she was reading my answers on page 2 when she was supposed to be answering her questions on page 10 and she said she got lost.

Anyhow, that was as far as I let her get that time.

Then another time a month or two later I asked her to go in to the doctor with me, she went in and basically sat there and didn't really answer any of the questions. That was the one and only time she went in with me.
dango Likes This 
Old 11-23-2013, 06:29 AM   #50
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Ya'd think if she's gonna spend the time to go along, she might as well be helpful. That's just too much to ask of some people. I work with plenty of the same type.
People Like This