Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Lyme Disease

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2014, 03:42 PM   #91
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7826 Times on 4516 Posts
Likes Given: 10075

I had surgery on Friday to install a PICC line- Peripherally Inserted Central Catheter- It is an IV line that goes in above my elbow and the tube dumps straight into my heart. The antibiotics that I am supposed to be starting here soon are too strong for me to be putting in my arteries, they must be put in at the heart so they mix with a larger volume of blood. Doing two drips twice daily, takes 4 hours every day. I mix up an IV bag every night and put it by the bed for the morning. That way I can start the drip when I surface and then go back to sleep while it is running its course. The IV drips are Rocephin and Septra.

On the plus side I am starting to see some improvement in my brain functions- processing and all of that is getting better. Short term memory is also improving. The downside is that physically I am in more pain and have less stamina. Also dealing with nausea which is a problem because I have no appetite and getting enough food is a real challenge.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 06-02-2014, 04:14 PM   #92
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2354 Times on 1531 Posts

Hang in there Viking, we are rooting for ya.

Feral cat waterboarder

Vikingdad Likes This 
Old 06-02-2014, 09:20 PM   #93
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1075 Times on 695 Posts
Likes Given: 2007

Thanks for the update and hopefully you won't have much longer before things start dramatically improving!

Old 06-02-2014, 11:41 PM   #94
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!

Liked 2837 Times on 1945 Posts
Likes Given: 582

We pray for you every day Brother.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

Vikingdad Likes This 
Old 06-02-2014, 11:52 PM   #95

Liked 360 Times on 206 Posts

Growing up, a friends mother had advanced Lyme disease. It was very tough on her and the family. Hoping things get better for you bud. Prayer and good vibes your way.

Old 06-02-2014, 11:54 PM   #96
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 1028 Times on 726 Posts
Likes Given: 157

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
I had surgery on Friday to install a PICC line- Peripherally Inserted Central Catheter- It is an IV line that goes in above my elbow and the tube dumps straight into my heart. The antibiotics that I am supposed to be starting here soon are too strong for me to be putting in my arteries, they must be put in at the heart so they mix with a larger volume of blood. Doing two drips twice daily, takes 4 hours every day. I mix up an IV bag every night and put it by the bed for the morning. That way I can start the drip when I surface and then go back to sleep while it is running its course. The IV drips are Rocephin and Septra.

On the plus side I am starting to see some improvement in my brain functions- processing and all of that is getting better. Short term memory is also improving. The downside is that physically I am in more pain and have less stamina. Also dealing with nausea which is a problem because I have no appetite and getting enough food is a real challenge.

Remaining in my thoughts and prayers
Old 06-03-2014, 12:13 AM   #97
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1742 Times on 947 Posts
Likes Given: 547

Viking, we recently needed some prayers and we are praying for you now too. We hope all works out well for you.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Vikingdad Likes This 
Old 06-03-2014, 02:48 AM   #98

Liked 238 Times on 169 Posts

I feel for you viking. This whole story makes my heart surgery seem like nothing. I will be much more vigilant now. Thank you.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

Old 06-03-2014, 04:30 AM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardiacColt68 View Post
I feel for you viking. This whole story makes my heart surgery seem like nothing. I will be much more vigilant now. Thank you.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk
Every health issue has its challenges. Once you know what they are you know what you are dealing with and for me that has made it easier. I am going in on Thursday to have my doc look at my lung pic. I talked to my Lyme doc and he didn't know of any specific correlation between the Lyme and related diseases and the lung issue. I hope it is nothing major.

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."

Old 06-03-2014, 04:32 AM   #100

I just looked at my last post and saw I didn't mention that when the surgeon looked at my chest X-Ray to check the placement of the catheter in my heart she saw some "shadows" in my lungs that she was very concerned about. I have never before had any lung issues. I looked at the pics and I see it too. Dammit!

Quote: