Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Lyme Disease

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2013, 03:46 AM   #1
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7834 Times on 4523 Posts
Likes Given: 10088

Default Lyme Disease

On November 1st, 2013 I was diagnosed with Chronic Lyme Disease with coinfection of Babesia and Bartonella with the possibility that I have Erlichia as well (testing is under way). I am still trying to get my mind around the whole concept.

The reason I have started this thread is that several members have reached out to me in PMs to offer their support, and also to ask some more questions about the disease. I want to thank all of you for the support, but also I would like to respond in a way that others might benefit from my (limited but rapidly growing) experience.

Lyme disease is a very serious concern for anybody who is outdoors at all. The more you are outdoors and where you are outdoors might determine you possible level of exposure. Hunters are particularly susceptible due to the close contact with their prey which is often infested with ticks. But you can just as easily get it from working in your garden right in the middle of town.

I am aware of the fact that there is a lot of information available out there (as a matter of fact I highly recommend a few resources I have found), but I am wondering if there is enough interest here on FTF to support this thread, and I am also wondering if Y'All would like for Dr. Football and me to do one of our Podcast shows on the subject.

So what do Y'All say? Shall we get started or is there only limited interest in?

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-11-2013, 03:48 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 606 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 1326

You have my full support and interest.

I am very interested in your podcasts. How do I find them. (I haven't see any yet)

Last edited by kryptar19; 11-11-2013 at 03:55 AM.
People Like This 
Old 11-11-2013, 03:53 AM   #3
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20058 Times on 11409 Posts
Likes Given: 50598

my thoughts and prayers with you brother.

i have heard of the disease, but honestly know really very little about it.

if it helps you in anyway to keep this thread going, then i here for you.

if you think it can help do a podcast on it, then by all means go for it.

you and DrFootball have a great thing going with the first few podcsts and i am very much enjoying them.

People Like This 
Old 11-11-2013, 04:15 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptar19 View Post
You have my full support and interest. Anything you need brother, just PM me.
Thanks Kryptar. I do appreciate the offer. My intention is to help others and myself at the same time in educating about Lyme. I have a fantastic resource here in my housemate who has been through a battle with Lyme just in the past couple of years. She is like an encyclopedia of information on Lyme (and many other interesting things) so she is my support system.

My immediate problem (or at least one of them) is that I have serious memory issues and have difficulty retaining anything unless it is pounded into my head. That is one of the reasons for this thread as it gives me the opportunity to pound it into my own head!

One of the other members asked me in a PM what symptoms I am experiencing. It is difficult for me to come up with that list because the list is so long. My housemate (whom I am trying to come up with a name for) read his message and laughed,saying that I did not have enough time in the day to write it out.

I did come up with a very short list of symptoms this morning in my reply to him but be aware it is not comprehensive in any way shape or form. Here is what I came up with this morning.

memory loss
sleep dysfunction (I am suffering from poor sleep and not enough. Some sleep too much)
no dreams and/or dream recall
chronic fatigue
oxygen starvation
severely low libido
stabbing pains in ribcage (seriously. Stabbing. Like an ice pick.)
headache
severe tinnitus (ringing in ears- mine is much, much worse than it was)
joint pain
muscle fatigue
severe weight loss
confusion
unable to retrieve words I know
lack of confidence

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
People Like This 
Old 11-11-2013, 04:15 AM   #5
F4U
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 923 Times on 549 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have heard of Lyme disease but don't know much about it so I freak out every time I find a tick on me (3 times this year). Actual facts would be a good thing and probably not a waste of a podcast.

By the way I listened to the first one and enjoyed it very much.

Old 11-11-2013, 04:26 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6100 Times on 3346 Posts
Likes Given: 11721

http://www.cdc.gov/lyme/stats/index.html
Old 11-11-2013, 04:31 AM   #7

Liked 44 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 70

You have my support. I have not looked into it much but I am going to get into hunting soon and need to know more about it.

Join The NRA And Protect Our Rights

People Like This 
Old 11-11-2013, 04:57 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool View Post
Unfortunately the CDC is one of the worst places to get good information on tick borne diseases including Lyme. For example, I have been experiencing clear and documented symptoms since 1998 and not one doctor has even suggested Lyme, my regular doctor dismissed it outright a few years ago when I asked if he thought it might be a possibility. This with him being fully aware that I have lived my entire life out in the boonies and I told him that I have had countless tick bites over the years.

My new doctor (a recognized Lyme expert) said that I have probably had it for decades and that a severe trauma will bring it out of latency. I was in a severe accident in 1998 and that is when I started having symptoms.

If you have the time, take a look at this movie. It is 1:44:19 long so be prepared. Not all people have as severe of symptoms. Mine are mild compared to some.

Quote:
People Like This 
Old 11-11-2013, 05:04 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3858 Times on 2304 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Sorry to hear about the Lyme disease Viking.

Lyme disease is a problem over here too. My neighbor was bitten by a tick and ended up getting the disease. Always wear long pants and shirts in the woods. Have a friend or significant other check your body for ticks after a day out. Educate yourself and watch out for symptoms. Jäger out.

Old 11-11-2013, 07:39 AM   #10
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6762 Times on 4086 Posts
Likes Given: 8096

I think a podcast on Lyme disease would be a good idea.

People Like This