Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Lube the AK Gastube?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2008, 09:25 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Lube the AK Gastube?

I myself just recently picked up my first AK-47 and was told by the dealer NOT to oil the gastube...is this true? While I have no reason to distrust the gentlemen, I am a big fan of second opinions and becoming completely familiar with the weapons I own.

Thanks in Advance for anyone's input on this question

P.S. Oh Yeah, I'm new here! I appreciate the forum & All the "Like-minded" folks here (especially) when it comes to what we see regarding Mr. Obama-lama-ding-dong!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-13-2008, 12:20 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I wouldn't oil it.

It's already a hostile environment without adding oil that will certainly burn.

Old 11-13-2008, 01:12 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 2262 Times on 1188 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Any sort of oil on the gas piston area would be a VERY BAD IDEA. The hot gasses will carmalize the oil into (at best) a thick sticky goo and at worst a nearly indestructable crust that will take sandpaper to remove (not that I'm recommending using sandpaper).

If you REALLY want to have some sort of friction reducing material in this area consider Sentry Solutions dry lube. The gas piston on my Saiga 12 ga like it. It works very well for all your lubrication needs. It is a bit of a chore to first apply as you must remove ALL the oil from the part you want to treat but you do not have to reapply very often (maybe every 3-4 cleanings). I use it on the bolt carrier group on my AR's and do not have to oil at all and have flawless functioning.

Old 11-13-2008, 04:38 PM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I agree. The AK seems (to me, at least) to heat up hotter and more quickly than most EBRs. Getting the metamorphic rock that the lube will turn into out of there will be daunting at a minimum.