Low threat threshold

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Low threat threshold

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2013, 02:47 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1139 Times on 591 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Default Low threat threshold

There's a saying about when the only tool you have is a hammer every problem looks like a nail. I've seen a few posts on this forum about folks shuckin' iron in response to perceived threats that to me seemed a little premature. I don't assume that every strange face I see in my neighborhood or every bump in the night requires an armed response. Don't get me wrong, I usually have a weapon handy, but I don't assume one is called for without some more substantial indication of a threat. Any time a weapon is drawn or shown the situation can escalate unnecessarily.

Thoughts?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-18-2013, 02:53 AM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21585 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpossum View Post
There's a saying about when the only tool you have is a hammer every problem looks like a nail. I've seen a few posts on this forum about folks shuckin' iron in response to perceived threats that to me seemed a little premature. I don't assume that every strange face I see in my neighborhood or every bump in the night requires an armed response. Don't get me wrong, I usually have a weapon handy, but I don't assume one is called for without some more substantial indication of a threat. Any time a weapon is drawn or shown the situation can escalate unnecessarily.

Thoughts?
i agree. i believe that bringing a firearm into the equation is the last resort when all other options have been exhausted.

now if a BG breaks into my home in the middle of the night, then the firearm is my last resort as the other options didn't work, such as the barking dogs and the locked doors!

Old 04-18-2013, 03:00 AM   #3

Liked 117 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Unknow people walking around outside= investigate further. Unknow people in the house in the middle of the night with the door kicked in=boom

Don’t go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first. –Mark Twain

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 04-18-2013, 03:04 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 156 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbomar4 View Post
Unknow people walking around outside= investigate further. Unknow people in the house in the middle of the night with the door kicked in=boom
^^^ simply put^^^

Old 04-18-2013, 03:06 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5758 Times on 3257 Posts
Likes Given: 5197

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpossum View Post

Thoughts?

Agreed. Lethal force is the last step in the progression.

Winston Churchill

Old 04-18-2013, 03:06 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8888 Times on 3848 Posts
Likes Given: 1391

You are correct, sir. Under most circumstances, it should stay right there in the holster. Under some circumstances, that holster may be unsnapped. But present a firearm without just cause, you may be about to learn the legal definition of Brandishing a Firearm.

Or at least learning the penalty for Stupid in a Smart Zone.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

People Like This