Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Low threat threshold (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/low-threat-threshold-89052/)

txpossum 04-18-2013 02:47 AM

Low threat threshold

There's a saying about when the only tool you have is a hammer every problem looks like a nail. I've seen a few posts on this forum about folks shuckin' iron in response to perceived threats that to me seemed a little premature. I don't assume that every strange face I see in my neighborhood or every bump in the night requires an armed response. Don't get me wrong, I usually have a weapon handy, but I don't assume one is called for without some more substantial indication of a threat. Any time a weapon is drawn or shown the situation can escalate unnecessarily.

Thoughts?

Axxe55 04-18-2013 02:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txpossum (Post 1217687)
There's a saying about when the only tool you have is a hammer every problem looks like a nail. I've seen a few posts on this forum about folks shuckin' iron in response to perceived threats that to me seemed a little premature. I don't assume that every strange face I see in my neighborhood or every bump in the night requires an armed response. Don't get me wrong, I usually have a weapon handy, but I don't assume one is called for without some more substantial indication of a threat. Any time a weapon is drawn or shown the situation can escalate unnecessarily.

Thoughts?

i agree. i believe that bringing a firearm into the equation is the last resort when all other options have been exhausted.

now if a BG breaks into my home in the middle of the night, then the firearm is my last resort as the other options didn't work, such as the barking dogs and the locked doors!

bigbomar4 04-18-2013 03:00 AM

Unknow people walking around outside= investigate further. Unknow people in the house in the middle of the night with the door kicked in=boom

95sniper 04-18-2013 03:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbomar4 (Post 1217708)
Unknow people walking around outside= investigate further. Unknow people in the house in the middle of the night with the door kicked in=boom

^^^ simply put^^^

locutus 04-18-2013 03:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txpossum (Post 1217687)

Thoughts?

Agreed. Lethal force is the last step in the progression.

c3shooter 04-18-2013 03:06 AM

You are correct, sir. Under most circumstances, it should stay right there in the holster. Under some circumstances, that holster may be unsnapped. But present a firearm without just cause, you may be about to learn the legal definition of Brandishing a Firearm.

Or at least learning the penalty for Stupid in a Smart Zone.