Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > loved ones lost

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2013, 01:30 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2340 Times on 1521 Posts

Default loved ones lost

This is a remembrance thread, designed to honor anyone you've lost in your life. Type away with stories, descriptions of character, etc. This can be funny, boring, exciting, sad, however you want to honor the dead.

Death is a part of life, and coping can be hard for some people. Talking or typing will certainly help with coping, whether it was yesterday or twenty years ago.

I'll start with my grandfather, not my real gf, but he was close to me nonetheless. He had a lawnmower that didn't start one day, and he had been seeing red jimmy a squirrel around it. He popped the hood, and said little Jim stripped all the wiring on the mower. All of it. Ever since, he had an extreme hatred for the squirrels.

Ever since, he shot one every chance he could get, including through the window screens. My grandma threw a fit but it did not stop him. It got to the point he would buy window screen by the roll. Looking at that little .410 single shot will always remind me of him repairing the screen while my grandma b!?@%$d.

Feral cat waterboarder

People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-02-2013, 07:25 PM   #2
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2719 Times on 1869 Posts
Likes Given: 542

I guess it's difficult to accept loss for many. I know it was always hard for me. I lost my Dad At a rough time in my life, going through a divorce, and trying to finish an education while still serving in the reserves. He survived Korea, Vietnam, and a Bunch of Heart Attacks to leave us too soon at 59. I was 27. He's the reason I did many things back then and still dedicate my time to helping others now.

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 08-02-2013, 07:42 PM   #3
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1273 Times on 668 Posts
Likes Given: 591

My Dad died of three strokes in a row on Christmas Day when I was five years old, and my mother couldn't stand to live in the same house, so we moved. There was a neighbor couple who had never been able to have children, but I immediately took to the husband, nicknamed "Tiny." Tiny had a sixth-grade education and worked at a major timber mill. He drove a pickup daily and owned a military truck with a Rock Crusher transmission and rear end.

I was a book-educated intellectual idiot when I met Tiny. He taught me to drive,and it was that big military truck I learned in! When I asked him why such a big truck for my first vehicle, he said, "Do you think after learning to drive this you'll have any problem driving any other vehicle?" He was right - nothing with wheels ever bested me. He taught me to shoot, much to the chagrin of my mother. Without Tiny, I never would have touched a firearm before 18. He taught me to hunt, build buildings, grow vegetables, re-roof STEEP roofs on houses and handle chain saws. I always thought that somehow my Dad had sent Tiny to me so I wouldn't just be a big geek with no common sense. Whatever the reason, I will always credit Tiny with making me a whole person, and I will never forget him laughing his butt off every time I did something stupid and failing. He meant the World to me and emphasized how important a real man is in a boy's life while growing up.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

People Like This 
Old 08-02-2013, 07:48 PM   #4
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 508 Times on 281 Posts
Likes Given: 2250

When you reach my age,
so many have passed.
My Father, a WWI Vet. died when I was young.
My fondest memories, when to took me to work with Him, He worked in the oil fields.
My Mom,
I still feel very bad about not being a better son. or a good son.
My Brother, served in the AAF at the end of WWII.
My first ex-wife.
So many Relatives.
So many Friends.
Some co-workers.
One Great Friend, Don.
Rode motorcycles together,
Raced motorcycles together.
Went Shootin and hunting together.
He moved to Los Banos,
we went duck hunting.
yep, when you get this old,
oh well.

Last edited by shadecorp; 08-02-2013 at 07:53 PM.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 08-02-2013, 08:18 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 862 Times on 577 Posts
Likes Given: 1137

I Hurt.....

http://

Become steel or get cut.
NC1760 Likes This 
Old 08-02-2013, 08:32 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2452 Times on 1440 Posts
Likes Given: 1358

At 53 y.o., I am blessed beyond all reason, to still have my mother and my father alive and well. My heart felt condolences to all here who have lost a parent or parents!

Let me tell you a true love story.

My late mother-in-law, Barbara G. Klair, the most selfless person I have ever met, died at age 70, on July 13, 2011. In the year 2000, her mother was dying of old age at nearly 98 years old, and her family farm was being sold, against her wishes, due to legal issues and the fact that her older brothers wanted to cash in.

During this most tumultuous and stressful part of her life, she had a clause written into the land sale contract that she would retain the living rights to allow 2 family members to hunt deer on this prime real estate.

None of her biological children or my f-I-l hunted. I alone was the fortunate recipient of her thoughtfulness, for which I will forever be thankful!

Thank you & God bless you, Mom Klair.

This is only a minute example of her selflessness. She was constantly taking in stray kids & critters. Each of you reading this would have been loved by her and treated like family. She is truly missed by so many more than just those her were blessed to be her "family".

Sent from my (_E=MC² _)

We do not choose our future, we choose our habits and our habits dictate our future. - anonymous

People Like This 
Old 08-02-2013, 09:04 PM   #7
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6688 Times on 4043 Posts
Likes Given: 7958

My Mom. Nothing in my life will ever be worse than burying my Mom.

People Like This 
Old 08-02-2013, 10:32 PM   #8
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2719 Times on 1869 Posts
Likes Given: 542

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change
My Mom. Nothing in my life will ever be worse than burying my Mom.
Except for a parent buying a child...I've been a part to that as well

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

People Like This 
Old 08-02-2013, 11:16 PM   #9

Liked 2340 Times on 1521 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball View Post

Except for a parent buying a child...I've been a part to that as well
My grandpa's widow has buried four. She has three left.

Feral cat waterboarder

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 08-03-2013, 02:53 AM   #10
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19605 Times on 11128 Posts
Likes Given: 49355

i have lost many loved ones as well, many of them family. one i have to remember is friend of mine named Dale. Dale was a happy, go-lucky kind of fellow and would bring a smile to your face no matter how bad you felt. Dale liked to drink a bit from time to time, and many a morning he would show up for work just a little hungover, but would still be able to smile and make you smile. he had a funny sense of humor and was always telling funny punchlines from funny movies or shows. Dale had not long become a father to a beautiful baby girl. he was killed in a car wreck on a sunday afternoon, and had just left my house and was on his way home. he was killed about a mile from where i live. i didn't find out until monday evening when two of the guys i use to work with came by and told me. i was at a loss for words and didn't believe it at first. the realization hit me when i saw his GF and his daughter after the funeral, and it struck me, that she would never really know how great a person her father was.

i go by where he was killed from time to time and i see that little white wooden cross beside the hiway. there is no name or date on it, but i know who it's for. i loved Dale like he was family, and he was a very dear friend. RIP Dale. i miss ya little buddy.