Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Lost Wallet

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2013, 01:42 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 619 Times on 330 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Default Lost Wallet

Some learnings from others on my current issue would a big help.

I went to a car show yesterday and lost my wallet. There was about 15 minutes in the time fram that I last used it and noticed that it was gone. I called my wife and she shut down the two personal cards and I had work shut down the company card. I also called the local police station to report it missing in case it's found.

My primary concern through all of it is the information that someone now has with my driver’s license and past military ID and the possibility of what they could do with that info.

So, at the risk of becoming overly paranoid over the next few years, what are some of the risks and are there any ways to head those risks off???

I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
~George Washington

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-14-2013, 01:43 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5308 Times on 2914 Posts
Likes Given: 10141

Lifelock....

No offense and none taken

Old 07-14-2013, 02:08 PM   #3

What's life lock do?

I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
~George Washington

Old 07-14-2013, 02:19 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1441 Times on 771 Posts
Likes Given: 2393

Howdy Court, I can relate in a way. Two weeks ago my wife emails me and says our account is overdrawn. I'm on a ship 6,000 miles away. I explain that no, I haven't ordered any guns, jeep parts, optics, you know, the usual stuff She drives to the bank and they explain that someone in the U.K. is quite busy using my ATM card right now... We had to put a stop on the card and now when I travel home I won't have any credit to use. Just cash. The thing that worries me is where the info was obtained. I did order some items online two months ago from Amazon.com, thinking it was the usual Amazon site. I was ordering some tennis shoes for my Nigerian Chief Mate. He never had access to my account info, nor did anyone else on the ship. Anyway, I get home in the U.S. and voila, a few weeks later the shoes arrive with "Air Mail" stickers all over them. The shoes came from.... The U.K. which is very suspect. All I can do now is NEVER order anything online from the ship's computer or this country and keep a watchful eye on my account. Cheers

Old 07-14-2013, 02:28 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5308 Times on 2914 Posts
Likes Given: 10141

Quote:
Originally Posted by CourtJester
What's life lock do?
They contact you if anyone checks your credit or attempts to open an account in your name.

No offense and none taken

stratrider Likes This 
Old 07-14-2013, 02:32 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1441 Times on 771 Posts
Likes Given: 2393

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool View Post
They contact you if anyone checks your credit or attempts to open an account in your name.
I was thinkin' 3 choices here, Life Lock, Call a Friend, or 50/50
Old 07-14-2013, 02:46 PM   #7
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1798 Times on 921 Posts
Likes Given: 971

I have Lifelock for my personal and business. Some of my business cards require I show ID when using them. In addition for a while I would have a credit check company do random checks regarding any attempts to purchase something or applications for a load. But most times if a person is dishonest and has no intention of contacting you regarding the wallet they found. If it does not have cash in it they simply throw it in a trash receptacle never to be seen again. My hope is someone who found it maybe attempting to find a way to contact you since it was only yesterday. Did you contact the event planner to see if someone may have turned it in?

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 07-14-2013, 02:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
I have Lifelock for my personal and business. Some of my business cards require I show ID when using them. In addition for a while I would have a credit check company do random checks regarding any attempts to purchase something or applications for a load. But most times if a person is dishonest and has no intention of contacting you regarding the wallet they found. If it does not have cash in it they simply throw it in a trash receptacle never to be seen again. My hope is someone who found it maybe attempting to find a way to contact you since it was only yesterday. Did you contact the event planner to see if someone may have turned it in?

Thanks for the info on LifeLock. I'll get signed up today.
It had $50.00 in it and there was a good bit of kids at the car show and quite a few guys walking around that didn't look smart enough get anything more than the money in it. But ya never know. My hope is that some 12 year old emptied the cash and chucked the rest.

~George Washington

Old 07-14-2013, 03:34 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 97 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 37

If you had anything with a bank acct # on it (like a blank check, etc.) I would switch to a new acct # and close the old acct to be on the safe side. You are also able to obtain one free credit report per year from each of the major credit bureaus and can check it to make sure you recognize all the credit accounts listed there. Some people get one from one different bureau every four months to check more often at no cost.

Old 07-14-2013, 04:00 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1466 Times on 652 Posts
Likes Given: 1066

You will also need to contact all three of the credit bureau's and and issue an alert. They will contact you if someone try's to open account in your name and it will keep your credit score from being lowered when they see you have canceled your card. I had mine stolen a few years ago. Good luck