Lost Art of Gentlemanly Virtue - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Lost Art of Gentlemanly Virtue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2009, 11:02 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Tony Dungy is a great man, a great God fearing christian man. He retired from coaching to help young men who don't have role models. He strongly encourages men to be mentors. Check out his new book , Uncommon it says it all.

If you like you could listen to James Dobson's interview with him on the focus on the family website.

Old 10-06-2009, 11:19 PM   #42

Liked 357 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2hot2handle View Post
Well sir perhaps you misunderstood my intentions when I wrote that statement.
2hot: DITTO!

Perhaps you did not notice the fact that I intentionally left your "handle" OUT of the quote I posted, so as to avoid appearing that I was directing my comments at you personally. I assure you Sir, that I was NOT.

My comments were based on (several) people I have personally met - that live by that mantra. They admit that they are society's worst, and they are eager to tell the world about it. Those are the people of which I speak.

Quote:
I can see how from your point of view I look like little piece of sh!t with that comment.
I though it an odd thing to do, yes - but your mere participation in these forums shows me that you have more common sense and maturity than a lot of your peers. So actually I knew it was more "tongue-in-cheek" than anything.

Quote:
Sir I am not going to pretend to be perfect, we all make mistakes and I will admit I chose my words poorly when I was writing that statement. However in the end it doesn't matter what you think of me. Only the big man upstairs decides who makes the cut................
All very true. I am also guilty at times of not being able to properly form a sentence to get my true meaning across. An English major I'm not.

Quote:
...and high power. you get mad at me for my saying i was a smarta$$ and then you go into the quotes thread and say "better to be a smarta$$ than a dumba$$" really?
Mad at you? Hardly. See the above.

And truth be told, you and I are more alike than you know. The majority of my "humor" is based on sarcasm. (I'm a card carrying pessimist.)
So I think, you and I both know that one can be a smarta$$ without being an "A-hole" if that makes any sense.

I do apologize for the misunderstanding I caused.
I'd buy you a beer but.... well....

So.... are we cool dude?

Old 10-07-2009, 04:42 AM   #43
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm late in this thread but keep it simple. Treat people as you expect to be treated. The clasics of opening a door for a woman, a firm hand shake with eye contact, speaking your opinion with respect and knowlege and respecting where you come from, doing as much make your parents proud they didn't raise an animal and set an example for your own children are expected.

With that said I raised two wonderful kids as a single farther. There Mother passed when they were young. Being a single parent is no excuse for raising children with out the basics. My only request of my kids is they were to be a better person than I am, learn from my life and use that to be more.

If you saw my grown kids you might think my daughter should put some more cloths on. Might joke about the "tackel box face" my son is sporting and his tattoos. If you met my daughter you would know her as a smart young lady, a mother and a RN, respectfull and well grounded in family and faith, building a good life. If you met my son you would meet a 4th generation Marine, that served fours years active in the USMC, three tours in Iraq and is now a reserve USMC Sgt. He loves his country so much and it took a lot to talk him out of doing a reup, settled on the reserves. After his first two year enlistment he took the reup money and opened a tattoo and piercing shop. Something I don't understand but it is his passion. He now has a "tackle box face" wears his jeans lower than I would expect and has more tats than I can count. At fist look these are the young ereyone is bitching about.

Don't judge the book by the cover. The way my daughter dresses bothers me all the same I know her as a happy married woman with a child she is devoted to and a works hard as a ER nurse. My son on first sight is the "poster child pin up" for the new generation but if you take the time to know him he is the next generation expressing who he is. He served his country with honor, owns his own business and making a reasonable living in a tough time.

Two truly old school young people doing life right while expressing there generation respectifully. At the same time if you question how they dress, "tackle box face" or tats they will respond based on how you asked the question.

Not long after my son got home a person made a comment to my son "pull your pants up punk", I was was pissed and went to make it right. My son stopped me and talked to the person. My son came back with a smile and said "your generation needs to lighten up". I told him the guy was an AZZ he said he was but if I let you go talk to him you guys would be parking lot beating the hell out of each other. When the bill came it was paid for by the guy who made the comment. I don't know what my son said to the guy. Would of rathered had the knock down the parking lot.

It is a different world.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 10-07-2009, 05:50 AM   #44

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Highpower

Yes sir we are cool. I am sorry for not having the common sense to notice why you might have left out my name personally.

I tend to get defensive way too quickly, that whole puberty/emotion sh!t

Funny how the people most like you seem to set you off the most eh? lol reminds me of Seinfeld when he finds a girl exactly like him and in the end they hate each other.

Forgive my transgresions and let us leave this all behind us. We have too many enemys against us to pick petty fights among us. Touche on the beer, but I won't tell if you wont............

The truth will set you free, but first it's going to piss you off.

"Time to nut up or shut up." - Tallahassee

"Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid." - The Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddn View Post
I'm a man, I see it as my obligation to like guns. And they are just so fun.

Old 10-07-2009, 11:37 AM   #45

Default I agree

I agree with 99% of the statements here. Only thing I could add is Lay off all the fishing tackle in your body, and Tattos. Metal goes in the tackle box, decals go on your race car, and shut your filthy mouth till you can make a statement that is pertinent to the subject without all the four letter words. I hate going out to eat, and the server has decals all on the arms, and wire hanging out of their face.

SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS

Don't blame the tool, blame the fool.

Old 10-07-2009, 12:24 PM   #46
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
Tony Dungy is a great man, a great God fearing christian man. He retired from coaching to help young men who don't have role models. He strongly encourages men to be mentors. Check out his new book , Uncommon it says it all.

If you like you could listen to James Dobson's interview with him on the focus on the family website.
James Dobson was just talking about him the other day, him and Joe Gibbs. Two great Christian men. My dad works for Joe Gibbs Racing and I can confidently say that man practices what he preaches.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 10-07-2009, 03:12 PM   #47
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyb13 View Post
I agree with 99% of the statements here. Only thing I could add is Lay off all the fishing tackle in your body, and Tattos.
That's just fashion, IMO; think about the slime guys used in their hair back in the '50's, poodle skirts accompanied by boob-magnifying sweaters, the vaugely phallic beehive hairdo's, and not to even mention those who used cigarettes as a fashion accessory. In my day, it was ripped up jeans, weird hair, ear rings, and later, lots of flannel. Every generation has some goofy way of rebelling through odd fashion choices; the tats and piercings will eventually go the way of rolled up jeans & greaser hair.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.