Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Lost Art of Gentlemanly Virtue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2009, 08:09 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 30 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
You tip good and don't go leaving $2.09 as a dam tip because you want the bill to be $33.00 even. Your effing bank account is not even all the time. SO screw it give that person a nice $3 or $4 tip for working their azz off.
Never tip less than $5.00. Example: You go to a nice (sit down) restaurant for lunch. Your and your lady order and the bill comes to $15. 20% of the bill would be $3.00, but your waiter/waitress made several trips to the table to see if your burger and her salad were what you expected, brought you Tabasco, Ketchup, extra Mayo, made sure your water glasses and other drinks were adequate. That service is worth a little more.

On the other extreme: You are seated and it takes someone 10 minutes to bring a glass of water, another 5 minutes to ask if you have been waited on, after 20 minutes at the table your order is finally taken and delivered to the kitchen, 15 minutes later your lunch is served, under cooked burger, cold fries, salad looks like it was rejected hog feed, cigarette ashes on your plate and the bill is delivered with the meal. The fish hook tackle box wait staff are all outside smoking and you can't get another glass of water, much less another beer. That service deserves an a$$ kickin'!!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:14 PM   #22

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts

I can tell the kids in my school that have older parents or father/ mother in the USMC. They say sir and ma'am.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:14 PM   #23

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpower View Post
ZING!!!

Best quote by a new member. You have just hit the nail on the head

Old 10-05-2009, 08:20 PM   #24

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Being an older guy I've seen manners literally become extinct among the youth of today - and I blame poor parenting. My kids use Sir and Ma'am because that's how we raised them. Another problem is some of us compensated for growing up poor by showering our kids with material things. My kids NEVER had an allowance period - they were given the opportunity to earn money with good grades and chores around the house.

Folks that never learned the value of a buck are hopeless...

Old 10-05-2009, 10:08 PM   #25

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am 2hot2handle and I am an offending A$$ hole. I am 16, I have friends who's language is sometimes more colorful than a Rembrant. I too am guilty of using such language on occasion. How ever I choose my location and surroundings carefully. I must say as well that I can control my mouth. Such language has a time and a place and that place is not around women. My mother, sisters and other women will never hear me utter such language in their presence. I must say though that there are many girls who's language would make their mothers ears turn pink. Many of them as well partake in this unhealthy habbit. It is not only the boys..........sadly enough.

I don't get money for no reason from my parents. They require a trade off.....chores. And these aren't regular chores like make your bed and clean up your crap. They are things like paint the fence, wash the car (inside and out), and mow the lawn etc. Most everything else is your job and you are expected to do it with out expecting pay.

When I first started eating out by myself with my friends and paying for dinner. My father gave me some general guide lines on tipping. And how I do it is as follows. Usually at least 20%, unless a miserable job is done, and if the job is well done you will recieve more depending on how much effort you put into it.

I do wear my pants at my waist. Not below. Not above. It is comfortable for me to wear them at this level. You don't see my underwear and you don't see a plumbers crack. I wear a belt and my pants go every where with my body.

I try to open doors for women in my family and not. I must say however it is a rat race if the woman does not expect it to be done for her. I have yet to beat a woman out of the car fast enough to race around the car and open the door for her. And those D@mn newfangled automatic doors will screw you every time when entering a building.

My point is that there are a few of us getting the proper "training". Have faith.

The truth will set you free, but first it's going to piss you off.

"Time to nut up or shut up." - Tallahassee

"Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid." - The Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddn View Post
I'm a man, I see it as my obligation to like guns. And they are just so fun.

Last edited by 2hot2handle; 10-05-2009 at 10:14 PM.

Old 10-05-2009, 10:18 PM   #26

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2hot2handle View Post
I am 2hot2handle and I am an offending A$$ hole. I am 16, I have friends who's language is sometimes more colorful than a Rembrant. I too am guilty of using such language on occasion. How ever I choose my location and surroundings carefully. I must say as well that I can control my mouth. Such language has a time and a place and that place is not around women. My mother, sisters and other women will never hear me utter such language in their presence. I must say though that there are many girls who's language would make their mothers ears turn pink. Many of them as well partake in this unhealthy habbit. It is not only the boys..........sadly enough.

I don't get money for no reason from my parents. They require a trade off.....chores. And these aren't regular chores like make your bed and clean up your crap. They are things like paint the fence, wash the car (inside and out), and mow the lawn etc. Most everything else is your job and you are expected to do it with out expecting pay.

When I first started eating out by myself with my friends and paying for dinner. My father gave me some general guide lines on tipping. And how I do it is as follows. Usually at least 20%, unless a miserable job is done, and if the job is well done you will recieve more depending on how much effort you put into it.

I do wear my pants at my waist. Not below. Not above. It is comfortable for me to wear them at this level. You don't see my underwear and you don't see a plumbers crack. I wear a belt and my pants go every where with my body.

I try to open doors for women in my family and not. I must say however it is a rat race if the woman does not expect it to be done for her. I have yet to beat a woman out of the car fast enough to race around the car and open the door for her. And those D@mn newfangled automatic doors will screw you every time when entering a building.

My point is that there are a few of us getting the proper "training". Have faith.

Can I adopt you son?? Somebody broke the mold after you fell out young man. All I can say son, is keep up the great work and mannors, and KUDO's to your parents!

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 10-06-2009, 04:21 AM   #27

I think it all comes down to how each individual raises his own kids. I have two sons one 15 and one 13 and for the most part they are good respectfull boys.Both go to church,say yes mam/sir,do good in school,arent quitters,etc.I would like to believe my wife and I have instilled these values on them.I am 45 and still dont cuss,smoke,or drink in front of my mother I still address my elders as mam and sir and still open doors for people.(although I dont go to church)And yes I still will stop and help someone one the side of the road.I see those disrespectfull"brats" all the time and if you watch thier parents they either turn thier backs,are completely oblivious,or blame society or the schools for thier kids problems.

if you dont shoot you dont hit,if you do shoot you might hit ..................... Once a soldier always a soldier A trp 1/7 cav

Old 10-06-2009, 04:53 AM   #28

Default Thankful to live in a small town in Idaho

When I drive to town on hiway 37 every oncoming car I pass waves. The kids in high school are polite and dress as most farm kids do, caps, jeans, boots, and a tee shirt. I know every kid in the senior class this year even though my son graduated 4 years ago. I live in a community of kind caring folks who are proud to call themselves Americans.
Doors are opened, sir and ma'am are used, and neighbors help one another when the need arises.
I thank God I don't live where you guys do. I would find it unacceptable for a young person to act in anyway but polite and resectful. Have you tried a simple punch to the face when you encounter this behavior? I bet you would find a fast change in attitude...

Old 10-06-2009, 05:23 AM   #29

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I will give all the credit to my parents. They have raised my three sisters and I well.

Don't let me fool you, it nice and easy to be a good boy on the internet you don't have to deal with my smart@ss comments 24/7. Hehehehe get that from my daddy-o and proud of it.

I know lots of kids who just need a good parent to be there for them. Not a friend. Friends are the family you choose. Family you are stuck with. Let me say from a kids perspective....your job as parents isn't to be my friend. In many ways you are my enemy. But I respect you, AND THAT IS KEY! Many childern just write off their parent's and the parents take it. I like the quote from a Comedian.

"My wife and I have decided to not spank our children, now don't judge us but that is how be have decided to raise our children. We won't be spanking them...................we are going to use a taser. Kid smarts off 'what ever dad' buzzzzzzzzzz"

We need good role models, kinda short on those these days.

The truth will set you free, but first it's going to piss you off.

"Time to nut up or shut up." - Tallahassee

"Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid." - The Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddn View Post
I'm a man, I see it as my obligation to like guns. And they are just so fun.

Old 10-06-2009, 06:28 AM   #30

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

It's a shame, but today's youth is very different from even my generation (X). The reason being is there is no family structure. There are ALOT of absentee fathers and growing daily. Women can't make boys into men, it just doesn't happen. There is no father figure to back-hand the boys for being disrespectful to their mother, etc.... he's just not there.

Be a mentor to a young man without a father and make a change in society. Coaches do it all the time. There are lots of programs out there to get involved in.

If you see a young man acting like a , to quote Tango, "douchebag", kindly straighten him out in the way he should go.