Lost Art of Gentlemanly Virtue - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Lost Art of Gentlemanly Virtue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2009, 05:57 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Why do country boys/rednecks/whatever we call them in some degrading fashion get the rep that they're without manners, when in fact they seem to have the best manners and are oft times the hallmark of what a gentleman should be?

Old 10-05-2009, 06:01 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
Why do country boys/rednecks/whatever we call them in some degrading fashion get the rep that they're without manners, when in fact they seem to have the best manners and are oft times the hallmark of what a gentleman should be?
Because the yuppie/liberal elitists snobbishly put down anything of true virtue.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 10-05-2009, 06:05 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
I've always thought that must be some kind of self-deprecating humor by remote thing. It should be pointed out that the reddest of the red have a rep for not caring for the "prettiness" of their yards; i think this has more to do with a rejection of others' ideals than a lack of interest in lawn maintenance or decorating.

Personally, i don't consider myself a gentleman. I'm big on "function over form" as an ideal. I don't generally eat at places that would be appropriate for "table manners" or with anyone who would appreciate them. I view the video game/texter/ipod devotees similarly to the people who look at the ground to avoid eye contact; i don't mind if someone doesn't want to interact, so long as they stay out of the way of others. I do find myself referring to people as Mr. ___ or Mrs. ___ , even if the blank is a first name, hard-wired from youth.

I think most of the appearance-related problems are more due to a generational gap than intentional disrespect or a comprehensive lack of care for one's appearance. I remember wearing torn jeans and having long hair in the '80's. I see no reason for a person to wear a suit in this day and age, unless they are attending a formal meeting of a group that expects such a costume (a sport coat and tie is not a suit).

Last edited by orangello; 10-05-2009 at 06:15 PM.

Old 10-05-2009, 06:06 PM   #14

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Kids today are crap.

I get some many supried looks and jaw hanging open in awe when I open and hold doors for women. I do it for young or old all the time.

When you take a young lady out on a date you the guy pays the bill dosent disrespect her and pays for the movie and popcorn as well. You open the doors for her and you pull chairs out if you eat a nice restruant. You tip good and don't go leaving $2.09 as a dam tip because you want the bill to be $33.00 even. Your effing bank account is not even all the time. SO screw it give that person a nice $3 or $4 tip for working their azz off.

TREAT PEOPLE AS YOU WANT TO BE TREATED.

Old 10-05-2009, 06:12 PM   #15

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I don't think women wait and hope that the guy will have manners, I think that they have never seen manners, also have no concept, and therefore don't miss them.

Old 10-05-2009, 06:13 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Kids today are crap.

TREAT PEOPLE AS YOU WANT TO BE TREATED.
Funny how easy it is to learn how to treat people. Golden rule works everytime.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 10-05-2009, 06:22 PM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

There is a big difference between a Redneck and Whitetrash . A Redneck does have manners , whitetrash don't .

Any gun owner that voted for obama is a gun owner I don't trust with a gun !

Old 10-05-2009, 06:38 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Rednecks, country folks, whatever you want to call them actually hold to many of the virtues this country was founded on. Part of that is the family unit and neighbors. They are taught how to treat people because they help each other and when it hits the fans, they need each other.
Libtards don't need anyone but themselves. When it hits the fan for them, they want the government.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 10-05-2009, 06:41 PM   #19

Liked 355 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
Because the yuppie/liberal elitists snobbishly put down anything of true virtue.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:03 PM   #20

I shat you not, while at a company picnic a coworkers son held the door for my wife and I as we entered the dining area. Being thankful that a youngster (8-10ish) would have the common courtesy to hold the door for a lady I said something to the effect of "Quite the young Gentleman, Thank you." To which he replied "shut up, I ain't no *expletive for gay*".

Now i'm still a young man but It still shocks the crap out of me when I see today's youth this far out of touch. Since when did Gentleman start translating to a homosexual?

I confess that I have no desire to confess.