Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Lost Art of Gentlemanly Virtue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2009, 04:48 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default Lost Art of Gentlemanly Virtue

Let me preface by saying I start way too many threads, and need to slow down, I think. I'm going to try to limit myself to a "responding to others" role for awhile.

That said, I feel that this may, by far, be the most important one I've ever done. We'll see.

This is not a guys only thread. Indeed, input from the ladies is crucial here.

I hope this runs awhile, and I hope the older gentlmen feel free to offer the majority of the input.

You see, I notice a decline in manners. Not here, so much, but in society at large. People have forgotten, or more sadly, never had, simple manners. Holding doors, "Sir and Ma'am", and my God, table manners.

We can blame liberated women for this, but if we were manly, we would hold a door no matter how much they objected, and maintain our manly stoicism.

Common courtesy is no longer common, it's rare. What courtesies have we forgotten, and what will the wayward youth that stumbles across this thread learn, my friends?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-05-2009, 04:54 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

My kids say sir and ma'am. I can not stand it when a kid says "huh" instead of sir to me. I know I'm young, but if I would have said that when I was his age I'd be picking myself up off of the ground. Wish it was "the good 'ole days". Just sayin'...

Old 10-05-2009, 05:02 PM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

A return to the good old days is what I'm shooting for. I know we won't change the world, but if a kid says "Sir", people are awed, then impressed.
And that's sad.

Old 10-05-2009, 05:03 PM   #4

Liked 30 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 4

The youth lucky or smart enough to join this forum will learn plenty!! That said, here's the list:

1. Saying "excuse me" when you bump into someone unintentionally.
2. Excusing yourself when passing in front of someone at the grocery store who is trying to focus on the sh!t they're shopping for without their glasses on.
3. Refering to your elders as Sir, Mr., Mrs. or Madam.
4. Standing (on your feet) when a woman enters a room.
5. Removing your hat when eating.
6. Using your turn signals properly.
7. Not talking with your mouth full of what ever you just took a bite of.
8. Interrupting a conversation with an injected comment that has nothing to do with the original conversation, but it is more important for you to be the center of the discussion.
9. Not mowing your yard or caring for you property because you're just too lasy and don't give a sh!t about what you're neighbors have to look at.
10. Not taking credit for your actions and blaming society, your parents, wife, kids, the gold fish, the undercooked hamburger you ate or the crap on TV.

People get the government they deserve.

Old 10-05-2009, 05:04 PM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Well done, Dune. Precisely what I'm talking about.

Old 10-05-2009, 05:17 PM   #6

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3471 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Wear you god damn ball cap like it was supposed to be worn - as seen in the Major League.

Pay attention when someone is talking to you - not half listening and texting away on your cell phone.

GET OFF THE EFFING PHONE IF YOU ARE IN SORT OF LINE, FOR ANYTHING!

Nobody cares the name that is on your underwear. Put on a god damn belt and cinch the thing just below your belly button, like god intended...

Stop whining!

Get the tackle box out of your face. You are not unique. You are not sticking it to the man. You are not special.

Kurt Cobain is dead. Deal with it and move on you bunch of crybabies.

Get the metal out of your mouth. Your parents did not pay good money for braces and dental care so you could smash up your teeth with some metal stud. You want eveyone to think you give good head, okay we get it. Just get a shirt or something.

Proper English. Just enough to carry on a conversation, you don't have to be the Earl of Flatbush. Is that too much to ask??

Give two sh!ts about property and material that doesn't belong to you.

If you see some kid getting his brains bashed in on the bus or subway, don't sit there and cellphone the images, do something before the kid dies.

Show some respect. You don't know everything. You don't know half what you think you do. And you aren't as fast, as tough or as witty as you think you are either.

Stay in School.

Welfare is for quitters and Eff ups! Get a job and be a responsible member of society to pathetic waste of flesh....

Geez, kind of got off on my own personal Tango for a minute.....

Old 10-05-2009, 05:20 PM   #7

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Things I try to remember to do.

Walking on the traffic side as you and a lady walk down the street.

Saying how nice she looks as you leave the house together.

Smiling at strangers as you pass on the street.

Dropping a dime in a parking meter when you see someone about to get a ticket.

Picking up a piece of paper on the sidewalk and putting it in the trash.

Clean up your dog’s sh1t when walking them.

Thank the poor guy at the store for working on Thanksgiving as you buy the cranberry sauce she forgot.

Take a plate of food to the homeless guy that lives under the over pass.
(the girlfriend does this one)

Last edited by Jo da Plumbr; 10-05-2009 at 05:22 PM.

Old 10-05-2009, 05:40 PM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I may have been too fast, perhaps not so lost an art.

Old 10-05-2009, 05:41 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Say please and thank you

Pull out a lady's chair for her

No cussin' in front of ladies

Carry a handkerchief

Bathe regularly

One earring may be acceptable. More than that is ghey.

Respect your elders

All work is honorable, so get off your ass and get a job

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 10-05-2009, 05:54 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

What is with kids now and the foul language...ALL THE TIME. When I'm in the shop with a couple of guys if you want to curse like a sailor I don't care but when I'm sitting in the Red Robin with my wife, surrounded by families with small children I don't want to hear it. More then once I've told some dumb a$$ed kid to watch his mouth only to get a deer in the headlights look because the retard has never been told no and had to process the fact someone was telling him that.

Turn off the ipod, you don't need music 24/7, how about interacting with people for once.

Kids, put down the video games when someone talks to you. I swear, every time a kid does that I want smack them in the back of the head.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer