Lost Angeles melts down 40,000 pounds of weapons
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Lost Angeles melts down 40,000 pounds of weapons

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2009, 01:55 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 29 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Lost Angeles melts down 40,000 pounds of weapons

ETA: i didn't see the post in the Legal & Politics forum so count this as a duplicate post.

I find this thoroughly disgusting:

Gun meltdown (unfortunately you have to wait for the ad to end)

Everyone seems so happy that all of these "evil" weapons have been removed from the streets. They all seem to think that if they weren't melted down, they'd all end up in the hands of criminals. But then, this is the gun-grabbing nanny-state of Kal-ee-four-niya, so I guess it should be expected. There wasn't any reference to what the people got as "compensation" in the buy-back. A Starbucks card, maybe?? Me? I'm glad as hell that I live in Nevada, although we have a lot of "immigrants" from the farce to our west and they seem to be trying to screw things up here as badly as they've screwed things up in their home state. So far, their gun-grabbing attitude hasn't caught on, mainly because so many of us Nevadans have guns. Some of us have a lot of guns (and the ammo to "power" them) and that helps keep things in check when it comes to gun-grabbing attitudes.

It's also the state that has enacted microstamping legislation. Barrett, before that legislation, informed the LEOs that they wouldn't be performing any more service on SWAT .50 cal rifles. After the legislation, Sig Sauer and Smith & Wesson both informed that state they would not be selling weapons there because they were not going to retool their factories to make special weapons for one state. I haven't seen if any other gun manufacturers have rejected sales but that doesn't bode well for the LEOs there. They'll have to come to my state to buy new guns because there won't be any available there. But then, they'll be in violation of their own state law......

I even have had friends from Kalifornia ask me why I have so many guns. My answer? Because I can, courtesy of the Second Amendment.

Last edited by AcidFlashGordon; 05-23-2009 at 02:17 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-23-2009, 05:42 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidFlashGordon View Post
I even have had friends from Kalifornia ask me why I have so many guns. My answer? Because I can, courtesy of the Second Amendment.

My girl also asks me what my fascination is with weapons and owning them. I inform her that along with my 2A right, that I find firearms to be fascinating, and that each one serves its own specific purpose.

As for the video, he holds up an AR and says "This is an assault weapon".....

someone PLEASE inform me as to what an assault weapon actually is?!?!?!?

Jumpin Geez-us on a pogo-stick.....I HHHHAAAATTTEEEE that term....

Old 05-23-2009, 06:44 PM   #3

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

California has NOT enacted micro-stamping legislation. Please check your facts before posting.

Ronnie Barrett announced that his company would not sell to, or service any law enforcement agencies after the statewide .50 Cal ban/registration was enacted years ago. If every gun company did the same, it would not take long for the state to change its tune. I blame the greed of the gun companies for prolonging the gun bans/restrictions. Bravo, Ronnie Barrett.

In Los Angeles last week we elected Carmen Trutanich as City attorney, over Jack Weiss. Trutanich is law partners with Chuck Michel, legal counsel for the NRA and CRPA. Chuck Michel is the one directly responsible for getting the Off List guns approved in CA. He is now working on magazine capacity restrictions, CCW, AW's, etc.

In every one of Jack Weiss' ads he stated that he was running on a platform of more gun control. I knew it was a mistake, and so did Los Angeles.

Californians are not anti-gun. California has a crappy legislature, but after the election last week in which Californians voted against several oppressive new taxes perhaps the legislature will take note.

California is Ground Zero in the battle for gun rights in this country. We are on the front lines in your fight. Gun buy back programs take place all over the country, and are nothing new. And as the economy worsens they will become more common.

How would my neighbors in Nevada feel if I blamed the gun owners of Nevada for Harry Reid?

We need to hang together and make a concerted front, or they will pick us off one at a time.

Old 05-23-2009, 11:48 PM   #4

Liked 29 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
California has NOT enacted micro-stamping legislation. Please check your facts before posting.

R
From Microstamping - Coalition to Stop Gun Violence

Quote:
On October 13, 2007, California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger made history by signing a first-of-its-kind microstamping bill into law. Several other states, and the U.S. Congress, are now considering microstamping legislation.

Old 05-24-2009, 01:13 AM   #5

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Your original post was technically almost correct, but the assertion was incomplete and misleading. The law has been signed, but has not been enacted.

AB1471 was signed by the Guvernator. One of the provisions of that bill will require that any new handgun, not already on the CA approved roster, will be required (once the technology exists) to cause fired cases to be imprinted when the gun is fired.

Here is the block of the text that pertains to microstamping from AB1471;

(7) Commencing January 1, 2010, for all semiautomatic pistols that
are not already listed on the roster pursuant to Section 12131, it
is not designed and equipped with a microscopic array of characters
that identify the make, model, and serial number of the pistol,
etched or otherwise imprinted in two or more places on the interior
surface or internal working parts of the pistol, and that are
transferred by imprinting on each cartridge case when the firearm is
fired, provided that the Department of Justice certifies that the
technology used to create the imprint is available to more than one
manufacturer unencumbered by any patent restrictions.
The Attorney
General may also approve a method of equal or greater reliability and
effectiveness in identifying the specific serial number of a firearm
from spent cartridge casings discharged by that firearm than that
which is set forth in this paragraph, to be thereafter required as
otherwise set forth by this paragraph where the Attorney General
certifies that this new method is also unencumbered by any patent
restrictions. Approval by the Attorney General shall include notice
of that fact via regulations adopted by the Attorney General for
purposes of implementing that method for purposes of this paragraph.
The microscopic array of characters required by this section
shall not be considered the name of the maker, model, manufacturer's
number, or other mark of identification, including any distinguishing
number or mark assigned by the Department of Justice, within the
meaning of Sections 12090 and 12094.

I have added bold italics outlining the first problem with this law. More than one company must offer the same technology with no patent restrictions. There is currently no reliable technology in place to do this.

The entire roster of approved handguns is now being challenged in court where it is expected to be thrown out under Constitutional grounds.

This law is also subject to funding. CA does not have any money to fund expensive new laws, and probably never will.

And this law is a requirement for a PISTOL to microstamp/imprint information on the ammo, it is not a law that requires microstamped ammunition.

The 2000 census shows that 22.5% of California households (admit to having) have guns, with many households having multiple gun owners. That works out to about 2,600,000 households with guns in CA. And I don't know any of my associates that admitted to having a gun in the house.

The 2008 stats for Nevada show a population of just about 2,600,000 people for the whole state. That means CA has far more gun owners than the entire population of Nevada. And those numbers for CA are from the 2000 census, while the Nevada stats are from 2008.

With the amount of new gun owners in CA in the last year, I think that number gets blown away. You almost can't get a spot at the counter in most gun stores these days. The common observation by the law enforcement community in CA is that 50% of every car on the road has a gun inside, but that is based upon officer observation and is not a verifiable statistic.

The problem (especially in CA, but nationwide as well) has always been one of gun owner apathy. That is not a problem since the election last November. I don't know any apathetic gun owners anymore, even the ones that were huge supporters of Pres Obama. And most of those now admit they were misled.

We need to be vigilant and continue to fight all new gun control, nationwide. CA is the front line in the fight to keep our guns.

Old 05-24-2009, 02:00 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
We need to be vigilant and continue to fight all new gun control, nationwide. CA is the front line in the fight to keep our guns.
I don't know why you keep repeating this. It's nonsense. California is a Marxist state, and points to the shape of things to come.

California is absolutely infected with illegal aliens and liberals. The only thing CA is on the front lines of, is the war against the American way of life.

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”

Old 05-24-2009, 03:47 AM   #7

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPond View Post
I don't know why you keep repeating this. It's nonsense. California is a Marxist state, and points to the shape of things to come.

California is absolutely infected with illegal aliens and liberals. The only thing CA is on the front lines of, is the war against the American way of life.

+1,000,000 BPond. The only acceptable meltdown would be if the entire state melts down to the molecular level... then the slag could be poured into a mould and reshaped into something that resembles a free republic...I guess I'm just "California Dreamin'"
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 05-24-2009, 03:48 AM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I have pro gun friends in California. They hate the way things are going as much as us.

Old 05-24-2009, 05:27 PM   #9

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
I have pro gun friends in California. They hate the way things are going as much as us.
Everyone's got pro-gun friends in every state - obviously they're either not the majority, they don't vote, or they don't give a sh!t....can only be one of the three, but I tend to think they're a small minority of the overall population.
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 05-24-2009, 09:03 PM   #10

Liked 62 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Lost Angeles melts down 40,000 pounds of weapons

I wonder how much polutition this caused?
Or if it was done in the state of Calf. probably not.
The clip did not work, I try it again later.
After doing some reading on this subject I found that most of the gun handed in were perfectly legal and were handed in by law-abiding citizens.
The propaganda of the LAPD made the law-abiding gun owners think that there guns were illegal.

Last edited by 7.62 Man; 05-24-2009 at 09:12 PM.