Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Looking for TIG welder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2014, 09:54 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Looking for TIG welder

Need some advice from the gun smith on this forum. I am in the market to buy a new TIG welder. I have spoken to some of the bigger companies like lincoln,miller,harbor freight and they are a little to expensive for me at the time so I was wondering if anyone had any advice on Longevity?
Has anyone ever heard of them?
Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-02-2014, 07:20 PM   #2

anyone?
Here is the TIG welder I'm looking into:
http://www.longevity-inc.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=tigweld+200sx
any suggestions on it? or experience?

Old 05-03-2014, 03:46 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5324 Times on 2779 Posts
Likes Given: 338

I'm not sure we have a lot of folks using welders for gunsmithing. There isn't a huge call for it since it really runs up costs due to the ned to heat treat after major welding is done.

Only folks I know of that really do a lot of that is mainly in repairing nfa full auto recievers and registered sears. Everything else the costs of refinishing reheat treating far exceed the cost of a new reciever or barrel.

Any reason your looking at this in relation to firearms??

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 05-03-2014, 04:12 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 328 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 149

Generally I would stay away from harbor freight IF you are planning to do more work than casual. Brand to go with are Miller (brand blue). What is your budget? For the heat treatment, TIG is the way to go because you can use an oxy-fuel rig to fix the heat treatment. Once an arc is established with a TIG, you can change the AMPS (usually with a foot pedal). So this means the difference between melting and heating.

Haven't got a lot, I don't need a lot. Coffee's only a dime. Living in the sunlight, Loving in the moonlight, Having a wonderful time!

I CAME, I SAW, I CONQUERED...

Old 05-03-2014, 04:17 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 328 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 149

Also: TIG welders are very $$$ for the good ones. It really all depends on how you are going to use it. $2,000 is the lowest you will pay for a good system. Miller dynasty series is also something to look into. Pricey, but will get you far!

Haven't got a lot, I don't need a lot. Coffee's only a dime. Living in the sunlight, Loving in the moonlight, Having a wonderful time!

I CAME, I SAW, I CONQUERED...

Old 05-03-2014, 08:36 PM   #6

Liked 2354 Times on 1531 Posts

I'd go with a miller. The miller I use is from the early 90s, maybe late 80s even. No problems ever other than replacing the gun a couple times.

We had two Lincolns in the shop, one fried after two years, the other took two years to get running right! Both Lincolns were MIG welders though.

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 05-03-2014, 08:59 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1655 Times on 718 Posts
Likes Given: 1248

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer1 View Post
I'd go with a miller. The miller I use is from the early 90s, maybe late 80s even. No problems ever other than replacing the gun a couple times.

We had two Lincolns in the shop, one fried after two years, the other took two years to get running right! Both Lincolns were MIG welders though.
I have a Lincoln 255 mig but wished I had gotten a Miller. As far as the tig goes if I couldn' t get the Miller I would forget it.

Old 05-03-2014, 09:51 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1389 Times on 942 Posts
Likes Given: 487

I would send the welding out to another shop if I couldn't afford a high quality welding machine. When you save more cash buy a welding machine.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato