Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   looking for a decent priced 308 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/looking-decent-priced-308-a-50244/)

bigbrum55 10-21-2011 01:56 AM

looking for a decent priced 308

I've been looking for a 308. Automatic that I can mount a good scope to and do some long range plinking. Considered the century cetme but seems to be a little to cheesy. Any suggestions would be great!

c3shooter 10-21-2011 02:05 AM

Decent priced
Auto
Long range

Bandwidth exceeded. Remove one search term.

Actually a hunting rifle, and not a target rifle, but surprisingly accurate- Browning BAR. Shop carefully amongst the used rifles, and price may surprise you. Also made in 300 Win Mag if you want more range.

But it will NOT be "Tacticool", and have an eleventeen round magazine.

JTJ 10-21-2011 02:16 AM

What is decent priced? An AR platform will run $1000+ while a Saiga will run$3-400. Guess which one is long range.

texaswoodworker 10-21-2011 02:47 AM

AR-10s are .308 semi autos but they are a little pricy. You could probable find one for around $1300-$1400. I think you can get a used one for about $1000 on gunbroker.com. If you just want a gun for plinking, .223 is another good option. It's a very popular and cheap round. You can find a good used Ruger mini 14 on gunbroker with a 20 rd mag for under $500. A Ruger Mini 14 Ranch rifle is pretty accurate.

bigbrum55 10-21-2011 12:19 PM

I have a Smith and Wesson MP ar15 at the moment. I absoultely love this gun. I am leaning more towards a 308 with an ar platform. Who makes one that isn't astronomical in price? All I have been seeing are stripped down models for 1400-2100$. Any suggestions?

Firearms4ever 10-21-2011 01:14 PM

Usually .308 + semi automatic= pricey. Some of the ones that come to my mind are the M1A, AR10, FN FAL, SCAR, and so on. Out of those three the FN FAL is the most affordable one I believe.

Dillinger 10-21-2011 09:09 PM

I think you are going to be hard pressed to find an AR-10 platform in .308 ( or other calibers requiring the larger frame ) on the "cheap".

They are the popular flavor of the year. Everyone wants to upgrade to the larger, more damaging round that the AR-10 can offer.

As such, you have an increased market demand and prices are "competitive".

One thing to keep in mind is that unlike the AR-15, there are two dynamic schools for the AR-10. You are either going with Armalite's version/platform or you are going with the DPMS version/platform. And right now there are not cross over parts that fit both.

Once you decide on one or the other, make sure you buy parts that work for that style/variation.

Shopping used is going to be an option but if you find one for sale, and they are rare is these parts, they are going to be 90% plus of a new model just because there is a strong market for them right now.

Outside of the AR platform is a decision that I am not amply equipped to delve into, but there are other options like the M1A or the M14 that could be considered.

Good luck!

JD

edhunter85 10-21-2011 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTJ
What is decent priced? An AR platform will run $1000+ while a Saiga will run$3-400. Guess which one is long range.

I have both and if no one answerd you yet, it would be more so th ar platform depending what you get. Now dont get me wrong I love the siaga but for shooting at longer ranges the ar has the longer barrel and it is usually better quality. Hope that helps sorry if it doesnt