Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Looking at a compact pickup

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2009, 06:54 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default Looking at a compact pickup

So it seems that the only true compact pickup is Ford Ranger/Mazda B Series. But why can't a person get a truck with 4wd, and a 4 cylinder under the hood? If you opt for the 4wd, they make you take the V-6. Not only that, you have to get the ext. cab. Am I just being difficult and too picky?
Is there a truck that I may have over looked that might fit my criteria?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-27-2009, 07:03 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

The only one that I'm aware of is the Toyota. Ford used to build a ranger exactly like you're asking for but they stopped in the late 90s. Most people don't want a 4cl, 4wd, regular cab pickup anymore. I am a Ranger fan though.

I've got a 1994 Ranger, 4.0 v6, ext cab, 5 speed, 4x4 with 275,000 miles on it and going strong! Doesn't even use oil between changes. My dad has a 91 with 260,000 on it when he got rid of it and he's got a 97 Explorer with 270,000 on the 4.0 SOHC. Good trucks!

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 07-27-2009, 07:10 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I'm on my fourth Ford pickup. I had two F150 2x2 XLT Supercabs, then a 3.0 V6 Ranger XLT Supercab with a 5 speed and now a fairly loaded 2008 4.0/auto Ranger XLT Supercab 4x4.

I love this new Ranger. The cab has four actual doors. That and the 4WD are the main reasons I bought it. It's got way more stuff than I needed or wanted, but it is nice to have some of it.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Last edited by CA357; 07-27-2009 at 07:36 PM.

Old 07-27-2009, 07:35 PM   #4

Liked 39 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default Chevrolet Colorado

Chevrolet Colorado makes it... in Venezuela you can find it with L4 (or L5) in single or crew cab with 4WD and manual 5 spd trans. In U.S. Isuzu sells it too...

“You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that, my dear friend, is the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Dr. Adrian Rogers”

TELL CHAVEZ NOW! CLICK HERE

Old 07-27-2009, 09:19 PM   #5

I've driven full size chevys all my life. In 2007 I bought a Colorado Z-71 crew cab with 3.73's and a locker. I'm running Goodyear Dura-trac tires and I get 27MPG on the highway with a 5cyl.

I just bought a Nissan because I'm not buying anymore american cars. Nothing seems to get the gas milage of the little chevy.

Old 07-27-2009, 09:32 PM   #6

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

The Chevy Colorado is more of a midsize truck.

But maybe I'm just different in that I really don't want all the frills of a vehicle. I like 4wd, manual tranny, and a good hard working engine. Manual windows and seats, sliding rear window. Something that I won't cry over when I get a scratch on it when I'm playing in the woods.

Oh well, to each his own I guess.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:12 PM   #7

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I too like 4x4, manual transmission, and a good engine BUT the (IMO) biggest optional engine is barely adequate if you're going to really use it like a truck should be used. The manufacturers are so concerned about fuel economy that performance suffers-especially in smaller than full size trucks. My Dakota has a V8 and I've added performance goodies & lifted it. Now I can not only go anywhere I want, I can also haul/pull whatever I want-damn the measely 18 mpg fuel milage.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 07-28-2009, 01:49 AM   #8

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
I too like 4x4, manual transmission, and a good engine BUT the (IMO) biggest optional engine is barely adequate if you're going to really use it like a truck should be used. The manufacturers are so concerned about fuel economy that performance suffers-especially in smaller than full size trucks. My Dakota has a V8 and I've added performance goodies & lifted it. Now I can not only go anywhere I want, I can also haul/pull whatever I want-damn the measely 18 mpg fuel milage.
That's exactly why I'm wanting the 4 banger. I would look for a good used Toyota pickup (pre-Tacoma) or Nissan Hardbody, but people seem to want more than they're worth around here.

Old 07-28-2009, 02:19 AM   #9

I agree with the toyota, I disagree with the manual tranny. I likes to keep power to my wheels and concentrate on other stuff besides shifting and I ain't never messed up a chevy or Jeep auto tranny while 4wheelin.

Old 07-28-2009, 10:49 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 886 Times on 528 Posts
Likes Given: 289

4X4 = more weight and more moving parts so more energy required to do the same task. The 4 cylinder may not be able to handle the extra work required and still have the longevity customers expect.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson