Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Looking at a compact pickup (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/looking-compact-pickup-16195/)

cameronguyton 07-27-2009 06:54 PM

Looking at a compact pickup

So it seems that the only true compact pickup is Ford Ranger/Mazda B Series. But why can't a person get a truck with 4wd, and a 4 cylinder under the hood? If you opt for the 4wd, they make you take the V-6. Not only that, you have to get the ext. cab. Am I just being difficult and too picky?
Is there a truck that I may have over looked that might fit my criteria?:confused:

spittinfire 07-27-2009 07:03 PM

The only one that I'm aware of is the Toyota. Ford used to build a ranger exactly like you're asking for but they stopped in the late 90s. Most people don't want a 4cl, 4wd, regular cab pickup anymore. I am a Ranger fan though.

I've got a 1994 Ranger, 4.0 v6, ext cab, 5 speed, 4x4 with 275,000 miles on it and going strong! Doesn't even use oil between changes. My dad has a 91 with 260,000 on it when he got rid of it and he's got a 97 Explorer with 270,000 on the 4.0 SOHC. Good trucks!

CA357 07-27-2009 07:10 PM

I'm on my fourth Ford pickup. I had two F150 2x2 XLT Supercabs, then a 3.0 V6 Ranger XLT Supercab with a 5 speed and now a fairly loaded 2008 4.0/auto Ranger XLT Supercab 4x4.

I love this new Ranger. The cab has four actual doors. That and the 4WD are the main reasons I bought it. It's got way more stuff than I needed or wanted, but it is nice to have some of it.

AsmelEduardo 07-27-2009 07:35 PM

Chevrolet Colorado

Chevrolet Colorado makes it... in Venezuela you can find it with L4 (or L5) in single or crew cab with 4WD and manual 5 spd trans. In U.S. Isuzu sells it too...

JohnnyLoco 07-27-2009 09:19 PM

I've driven full size chevys all my life. In 2007 I bought a Colorado Z-71 crew cab with 3.73's and a locker. I'm running Goodyear Dura-trac tires and I get 27MPG on the highway with a 5cyl.

I just bought a Nissan because I'm not buying anymore american cars. Nothing seems to get the gas milage of the little chevy.

cameronguyton 07-27-2009 09:32 PM

The Chevy Colorado is more of a midsize truck.

But maybe I'm just different in that I really don't want all the frills of a vehicle. I like 4wd, manual tranny, and a good hard working engine. Manual windows and seats, sliding rear window. Something that I won't cry over when I get a scratch on it when I'm playing in the woods.

Oh well, to each his own I guess.

stalkingbear 07-27-2009 10:12 PM

I too like 4x4, manual transmission, and a good engine BUT the (IMO) biggest optional engine is barely adequate if you're going to really use it like a truck should be used. The manufacturers are so concerned about fuel economy that performance suffers-especially in smaller than full size trucks. My Dakota has a V8 and I've added performance goodies & lifted it. Now I can not only go anywhere I want, I can also haul/pull whatever I want-damn the measely 18 mpg fuel milage.

cameronguyton 07-28-2009 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stalkingbear (Post 135359)
I too like 4x4, manual transmission, and a good engine BUT the (IMO) biggest optional engine is barely adequate if you're going to really use it like a truck should be used. The manufacturers are so concerned about fuel economy that performance suffers-especially in smaller than full size trucks. My Dakota has a V8 and I've added performance goodies & lifted it. Now I can not only go anywhere I want, I can also haul/pull whatever I want-damn the measely 18 mpg fuel milage.

That's exactly why I'm wanting the 4 banger. I would look for a good used Toyota pickup (pre-Tacoma) or Nissan Hardbody, but people seem to want more than they're worth around here.

JohnnyLoco 07-28-2009 02:19 AM

I agree with the toyota, I disagree with the manual tranny. I likes to keep power to my wheels and concentrate on other stuff besides shifting and I ain't never messed up a chevy or Jeep auto tranny while 4wheelin.

Yunus 07-28-2009 10:49 AM

4X4 = more weight and more moving parts so more energy required to do the same task. The 4 cylinder may not be able to handle the extra work required and still have the longevity customers expect.