Longest owned vehicle? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Longest owned vehicle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2011, 02:12 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 713 Times on 381 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post

1989 pontiac formula 350
I had one of those when I turned 21. Great car but they can't handle a roll over for $hit

I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
~George Washington

Old 01-22-2011, 03:01 AM   #22
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2169 Times on 1182 Posts
Likes Given: 786

1984 Ford Crown Victoria. Got in 1987 at the start of 3rd college year (40k miles). Sold in 1994 when I graduated from grad school (180k miles). I had THE car when anyone had a hankering for a road trip.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 01-22-2011, 03:09 AM   #23

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walley View Post
My 1963 Chevy pickup, which I have owned since 1960, runs better than my 2006 ford pickup and does more work. Better gas mileage and much easier to work on. I also have a 1950 Farmall M that works every day of the week and started this morning at twenty below. They sure don't build them now the way they did back then.
Where did you find the time machine in the 1960's?

Old 01-22-2011, 08:10 AM   #24

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

Default Thanks All!

It seems like me have our share of "part-time gear heads" here! I have some
good news about my poor Toyota to be seen @ my next post! Btw, my
"big girl", 1982 Ford f-150 4x4 is on the road once again with a new radiator
& "barely" 45K miles on the rebuilt engine I installed a few years ago. Pop has
a 1982 long bed 2wd version of mine, but it is in nearly "pristine condition"
when compared to mine as my truck is our hunting rig but his will need a
rebuilt engine soon as it is nearing the 300k mile mark soon!

Old 01-22-2011, 11:37 AM   #25

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdeserthills View Post
Where did you find the time machine in the 1960's?
I bought the 1953 3/4 ton four speed granny gear pickup from a neighbor for $125.00 and put a clutch in it. Since then a fuel pump and regular maintenance. I have no idea how many miles are on the old girl as the odometer quit working in the seventies and I never felt the need to replace it. I picked up the M eight years ago at a farm sale for $1,500.00 and have turned down three grand for it. I have two other tractors and the newest one is a 1964 Allis Chalmers. The Allis is mostly used to blow snow with a six foot blower and front loader. The 1952 Super M is used for haying and general hauling around the place. In this area almost everyone has a tractor made in the forties or fifties as a utility tractor.

My brother drives a 1956 Lincoln he bought new. He also has a 1956 Ford half ton that he also bought new. It has over four hundred thousand on it and he would not trade it for a new one.

Most of you young bucks don't know good machinery when you see it. If it isn't shiny with all the bells and whistles it is a pile of junk.

Last edited by Walley; 01-22-2011 at 11:39 AM.

Old 01-22-2011, 03:42 PM   #26

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walley View Post
I bought the 1953 3/4 ton four speed granny gear pickup from a neighbor for $125.00 and put a clutch in it. Since then a fuel pump and regular maintenance. I have no idea how many miles are on the old girl as the odometer quit working in the seventies and I never felt the need to replace it. I picked up the M eight years ago at a farm sale for $1,500.00 and have turned down three grand for it. I have two other tractors and the newest one is a 1964 Allis Chalmers. The Allis is mostly used to blow snow with a six foot blower and front loader. The 1952 Super M is used for haying and general hauling around the place. In this area almost everyone has a tractor made in the forties or fifties as a utility tractor.

My brother drives a 1956 Lincoln he bought new. He also has a 1956 Ford half ton that he also bought new. It has over four hundred thousand on it and he would not trade it for a new one.

Most of you young bucks don't know good machinery when you see it. If it isn't shiny with all the bells and whistles it is a pile of junk.
You are so right, Walley. I'd love to see some pics of your old gals, if you get a moment. And your brother's, too.

I have a '64 Falcon convertible that runs like new, but suffers from a lot of rust. Not quite sure if she is worth restoring, or just for parts. Too much rust underneath.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 01-23-2011, 08:25 AM   #27

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

Default Old cars & trucks are a lot easier to...

Work on rather then the newer ones, where the engine is hidden under a
"panel"? Whats with that?! Moms 1998 Corrola is not much different than
my 1990 Camry...but in the next generation of cars, (it's as if they were
designed to be "owner unfriendly")! The oldest car I have ever owned
was a 1967 VW station wagon that I restored, but the "oldest vehicle" I have
operated was a 1951 Chevy dump-truck & the first 4 wheeled vehicle I
learned to drive was a 1929 Ford farm tractor.

Old 01-23-2011, 01:20 PM   #28

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've had my 1985 Dodge Ramcharger for some 16 years, though it is currently not running.
Have owned my 1991 Toyota Tercel for 9 years, but 'retired' it last year. Drive a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan now.
Owned a 1975 Firebird for eight years - drove it hard and it was totally 'used up' when I traded it in on a short-lived Mazda pickup truck. That old 'Bird took me coast-to-coast twice in my Navy Daze, and only broke down a couple times. Once in a little Mississippi town that looked like something outta "Dukes Of Hazard"! But Cooter got me back on the road pretty quickly.
Got a ticket for speeding on my way out to California the second time - a Louisanna cop nailed me at 75MPH late one night - I saw him first and managed to haul it down from the cruising speed of 85MPH before his radar pegged me on I10.......
Had 213,000 miles on it when it finally couldn't be trusted to run more than ten miles without throwing a rod. That 'semi-big-block' Poncho 350 V8 was one tough motor.....

Old 01-23-2011, 07:42 PM   #29

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Long time vehicle

I bought a '67 chevy p/u short narrow bed that I owned over 35 yrs. Went crazy and sold it last year.

Got a good price but I learned a long time ago
that after you sell something you like, soon the money and the p/u are gone
forever.

some people are born on third base and go through life thinking they hit a triple...barry switzer

11B10 '67-'68

Old 01-23-2011, 10:12 PM   #30

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Longest owned truck is my 95 chevy had it around 6 years now. Rebuilt the entire drive train with my own sweat and blood 2 years ago so I could afford to buy the only new vehicle i have ever owened my 09 harley superglide and not have to buy a new truck hopin to make it last another 10 years repairs to it happen monthly.

Dave

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"
Denis Diderot