Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Long night ! (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/long-night-83138/)

dango 02-02-2013 05:56 AM

Long night !

Just had my furnace fixed last Friday,new circuit board! It just went on the FRITZ again! I have two ladies to keep warm,my lovely wife and her 89 year old mother.
I have three fire places and plenty of wood so's it looks like I'll be up all night!
Of the three fire places , two are pretty efficient the one , is hungry all the time. Got to stoke the fires,I'll be Baaaccckkk ! Brrrr, it's 5 degrees out,Brr..!:)

Axxe55 02-02-2013 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dango (Post 1120198)
Just had my furnace fixed last Friday,new circuit board! It just went on the FRITZ again! I have two ladies to keep warm,my lovely wife and her 89 year old mother.
I have three fire places and plenty of wood so's it looks like I'll be up all night!
Of the three fire places , two are pretty efficient the one , is hungry all the time. Got to stoke the fires,I'll be Baaaccckkk ! Brrrr, it's 5 degrees out,Brr..!:)

dang Dango, better break out the longjohns!:eek:

dango 02-02-2013 06:20 AM

I just went through this last week for five days,NO PROBLEM-O !
It took three phone calls to get them last time !

OH well , we'll be fine , I'm good at this crap ! :)

dango 02-02-2013 06:23 AM

Texas...?

Texas Cold..!

High Texas Cold: Prepare chicken and place on pick-up hood,Baste,turn every 30 min. !

Low Texas Cold: Turn every 45 min. , Baste !

:D...............:)

Axxe55 02-02-2013 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dango (Post 1120215)
Texas...?

Texas Cold..!

High Texas Cold: Prepare chicken and place on pick-up hood,Baste,turn every 30 min. !

Low Texas Cold: Turn every 45 min. , Baste !

:D...............:)

i know, i know, but anything below 60 and i get a chill in my bones!:eek:

dango 02-02-2013 06:30 AM

I ain't got no bones,"TITANIUM" thank you ! Lighter , stronger , faster , etc..!:)
It has been fun though..!

I have two sisters living done yon Texas , out side of Huston..! :D

PS: And rust proof..! (SMILEY-FACE)..!

Axxe55 02-02-2013 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dango (Post 1120222)
I ain't got no bones,"TITANIUM" thank you ! Lighter , stronger , faster , etc..!:)
It has been fun though..!

I have two sisters living done yon Texas , out side if Huston..! :D

i grew up in Houston and worked there in the early 90's. all the traffic, i can honestly say i don't miss it!

dango 02-02-2013 06:36 AM

All this liken stuff , does this mean we're goin steady ? :D

Just kidding , besides , my wife would hurt me ! :)

Colby 02-02-2013 06:36 AM

Not sure what you're looking for here - with your post.
But... I can offer up some possible solutions. I hate to think you and your ladies are having trouble in that cold weather.

Depending on your furnace - it's type, age, etc ... I say this because a lot of newer furnaces are going to newer technology and may not have thermocouples and traditional pilot lights. But if it does have a pilot light:

Try to relight the pilot. Do you know how. Most furnaces will have relighting instructions printed on a label on the front.

Check that it is not just a bad thermocouple. Thermocouples get old and start going bad. You might be able to relight the thing and it could keep burning long enough for you to get through the cold and get to a store for a replacement.

If it won't relight - and stay lit - then you may need a new thermocouple. I realize you can't get a new one tonight - but you can tomorrow - and they are cheap. Go to Lowe's, Home Depot, or local hardware store. First it would be good to find out what type and length thermocouple you have. Don't know about your mechanical abilities - but the thermocouple will be a long wire looking thing attached to the gas controller on the front of the furnace - down low - and extending into the burner - to a location beside and to the front of the burner (and pilot).

It's possible that the pilot light (if it has one - lot of newer ones don't) is mis-adjusted. The thermocouple (sensor) may be too far away from the flame and not able to get enough heat from the flame to keep a good signal going to the gas controller. Many repairmen cannot figure this out. And many of these repairmen will just try to sell you a new furnace - when they can't get it to run. But just a simple readjusting of the thermocouple or it's support can solve the problem. The thermocouple must be very close to the flame. Move it or bend the support to get it slightly closer to the flame.

Or - if it is windy - you may be getting "wind gusts" - actually pressure variations due to wind gusts - upsetting a pilot flame - or a marginally close thermocouple - causing the thermocouple heat signal to weaken momentarily and shut the controller off.

The "circuit board" replacement doesn't sound good. Not that I don't trust repairmen - but I guess I don't. I've seen too many guys not be able to fix things because they don't have a good understanding of the thing they are working on. Many, many, ... They just replace things - until they finally replace the "whole thing".

If the furnace truly does have a circuit board (did you actually see it?), then the furnace has to be a newer type and be digitally controlled. And you know what that means... Computer. So... unplug the thing - the furnace. And plug it back in (wait 30-60 seconds) and try to restart it. This is, of course, an attempt at resetting the computer. Computers have glitches all the time. It could work.

Good luck.
Stay warm.

tri70 02-02-2013 06:40 AM

Do you have space heaters? I bought one of the ones with the big quartz tubes to heat the kids rooms upstairs, we use a fireplace downstairs too. Stay warm!