The Lone Survivor - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > The Lone Survivor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2014, 05:44 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 460 Times on 267 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoobee View Post
The whole operation was a blunder. The intelligence was bad from the start.

The QRF was not standing by or ready.

Long before they spotted the goat herders, they saw that they were vastly outnumbered by muj. That was the time to call-in an air strike while getting the heck out of there.

Would I have killed the goat herders? No. But I would have tied them up enough so that their walk home would have taken a long time.

Watching a CF in the guise of an action movie is not entertaining to me.

And you know all of this.....how? It's their job to be in areas where they're outnumbered..

America doesn't need a Marine Corps, they want one

Old 06-01-2014, 05:46 AM   #12

Liked 186 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShagNasty1001 View Post
And you know all of this.....how? It's their job to be in areas where they're outnumbered..
I've explained to you what went wrong and what they should have done such that all 4 would have lived to fight another day. Instead, it was a CF.

Old 06-01-2014, 06:12 AM   #13
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21592 Times on 12249 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
I've explained to you what went wrong and what they should have done such that all 4 would have lived to fight another day. Instead, it was a CF.
Shoobee, if you really were in the military, then you would know that soldiers don't get to pick and choose which orders, missions or operations they decide to follow or accept.

even if the intelligence were bad, that isn't the fault of the soldiers on the ground. they went in and did the job that they tasked to do.

simple and sad fact is, soldiers do die sometimes on missions. and here you are, trying to malign the honor of these men, with some of the same nonsense you spout all the time. you are sorry excuse of an American and even sorrier excuse for a human being.
Old 06-01-2014, 11:27 AM   #14
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3189 Times on 2169 Posts
Likes Given: 695

Shoobee, I suggest you write to Petty Officer Lutrell and tell him how you feel. Or better, just mosy on over the UDT in San Diego and tell that to the Instructors Cadre there,..
One thing I will say about the few Frogs I have met, aside from not talking much, is they don't like folks who "Weren't there " talking to them about it. So you go right ahead there with that.
I'd be interested to hear what you'd say to someone who was on the Ground at Desert One...

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...
People Like This 
Old 06-01-2014, 04:55 PM   #15

Liked 460 Times on 267 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:

Nobody had any idea what was going to happen when they got there. They did what they were supposed to, complete the mission.. If you've ever dealt with radios and comms, you'd understand that things go wrong and especially around mountains, signals are sketchy and they knew that.. Not their fault, it's the nature of the beast. Nobody knows what went right or wrong there except Petty Officer Lutrell and the three who gave their lives to protect their brothers in arms. So quit talking like you know what happened when you don't..

America doesn't need a Marine Corps, they want one
Old 06-01-2014, 08:18 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 977 Times on 646 Posts
Likes Given: 1258

READ Lutrell's BOOK.... For a closer to reality account of the battle. The movie adds to the "Hollywood prose" of the story Where as the book informs the truer account and actions of the team (as allowed by Naval Intel review of opp-sec issues)

Become steel or get cut.
People Like This 
Old 06-01-2014, 08:40 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 977 Times on 646 Posts
Likes Given: 1258

I honor these 4 men who fought that fight. They were given the short end of the stick, and they laid waste to many enemy fighters before they themselves could fight no more. Bushido!

Ya know gents. When it comes to the fight of battle, no matter how hard you analyze, predict, train, and seek to control outcome. Those who have been where the bad things happen know that the FIGHT is of itself entirely. IT goes and develops the way IT wants to. We react "within it" with our training, firepower, courage ,wit and a whole lotta luck. So lets not cast dispersions/and discredit upon those who fought and there mission. Let us accept (as they did) that it was necessary for them to be there at that time.

Same blood ,Different mud

Become steel or get cut.
People Like This 
Old 06-01-2014, 09:35 PM   #18

Liked 466 Times on 259 Posts

imageuploadedbyfirearms-talk1401658310.868640.jpg

Reguardless of your stance and or opinion let them rest in peace.
Old 06-01-2014, 11:01 PM   #19
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3189 Times on 2169 Posts
Likes Given: 695

Default The Lone Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel_Talon View Post
READ Lutrell's BOOK.... For a closer to reality account of the battle. The movie adds to the "Hollywood prose" of the story Where as the book informs the truer account and actions of the team (as allowed by Naval Intel review of opp-sec issues)

Excellent Book! I read it on my Bermuda Cruise Trip in Nov. of 2011. S_T is Correct. Only Petty Officer Lutrell and those who did not return know what happen. Anyone who was not there, has no business calling the Op a "CF" And CT is also "Correct" Lets let the men who did not return from Operation Redwing RIP as Fallen Brothers are Supposed to be....

Unless Shoobee is in the ROTC and Needs a Paper to write....In that Case Shoobee, since I taught ROTC & JrROTC for over a decade after my Discharge, write me with the Parameters of your assignment and i'll be glad to read for you. If not,..lets leave those Seals Rest In Peace...
If you need to read more of accounts of Seals work,..You want to read Dr. Howard Wasdin's Book( was a Seal Sniper In Somalia before becoming a Chiropractor), or Chuck Faraar's Book,.

Note: Shoobee's Bio States he was Marine Arty, so I will give him a "partial Pass" here,..

Shoobee: Having Been an Army WO, I can't attest to the fact of how difficult it is to go through BUDS, but I have attended & Passed Sections I & II of "The Benning School for Wayward Youth", and I can tell you that at the age of 19 heading for 20, It darn near Killed me(Ranger School),..So I can only Imagine, and go on what Petty Officer Lutrell wrote about BUDS in his Book, My copy of which he graciously Autographed for me when I met him at an Special Operations Warrior Foundation event. His Book sits in a honored place on my "Memorial Mantle Wall" next to Gen. Hal Moore's Book, and Col. R.K. Brown's Book, and my Fathers Korean War Diary notes. I'm sure 200 folks would have reacted 200 other ways then Petty Officer Lutrell did,...

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Last edited by DrFootball; 06-01-2014 at 11:26 PM.
People Like This 
Old 06-02-2014, 12:44 AM   #20
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2767 Times on 1446 Posts
Likes Given: 241

More trolling by one of our resident trolls.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

People Like This