Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Local tire prices. Interesting (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/local-tire-prices-interesting-106864/)

boatme98 05-08-2014 05:15 PM

Local tire prices. Interesting

I need 2 New tires for one of my cars.
Michelin Primacy MXV4s. 225/60H16s.
I went to three places for quotes. I got the totals-tax, disposal fees, valve stems, balance, etc. Out the door prices.
Here's the line up.
1. The Michelin Company store - $349.95 Of course, you get the factory warranty.

2. Wal Mart - $347.58 These are not Primacy' s. They're Defenders. Slightly lower rating. Michelin dealers will not honor WW warranay.

3. Local dealer that sells Michelins - $338.80 Also includes factory warranty.

I was surprised. WW is only $1.19 cheaper per tire than the company store!
I'll be going to my local dealer for tires.

MoreAltitude 05-08-2014 05:31 PM

Just some peace of mind for ya if you have no experience with them, but I bought four Primacy's about a year ago. I have been very happy with them; pretty quiet tire, good wet weather traction, and while not sporty they handle the twisties surprisingly well.

boatme98 05-08-2014 05:49 PM

Thanks. Somebody mixed tires on the car before I bought it and 2 Primacy' s are on the rear, so I'm replacing the fronts.
It's a fwd car, so it should make a big difference.
I don't put nearly the miles on my vehicles I used to. Now I usually have to replace tires due to dry rotting rather than mileage. :D

Bigcountry02 05-09-2014 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boatme98 (Post 1572392)
I need 2 New tires for one of my cars.
Michelin Primacy MXV4s. 225/60H16s.
I went to three places for quotes. I got the totals-tax, disposal fees, valve stems, balance, etc. Out the door prices.
Here's the line up.
1. The Michelin Company store - $349.95 Of course, you get the factory warranty.

2. Wal Mart - $347.58 These are not Primacy' s. They're Defenders. Slightly lower rating. Michelin dealers will not honor WW warranay.

3. Local dealer that sells Michelins - $338.80 Also includes factory warranty.

I was surprised. WW is only $1.19 cheaper per tire than the company store!
I'll be going to my local dealer for tires.

Did you try tire rack website?

www.tirerack.com

Axxe55 05-09-2014 02:46 AM

WallyWorld ain't always the cheapest. it does pay to shop around.

if there isn't that big a difference, i'll use a local shop over WallyWorld.

303tom 05-09-2014 03:00 AM

What kind of car ? And do they have to be Michelin`s ?...................

303tom 05-09-2014 03:14 AM

I just put 2-215/60R16`s on the front of my Taurus Wagon. They are 60,000 mile Coppers, mounted & balanced for a 100 bucks each !...................

TankTop 05-09-2014 04:23 AM

Local tire prices. Interesting

Unless you're buying the high end Michelins don't bother and get something else for much less. Their quality has suffered on their lower end tires for years, somewhat of a back story and a certain retailer, but anyway don't bother unless you buy the best! Their high end tire is worth every penny btw. I have their costco brand on my 4runner (came with the vehicle) and they suck in the snow, bad!!!

Edit: if you're not in snow check out BFG traction T/A

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Bigcountry02 05-09-2014 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TankTop (Post 1572813)
Unless you're buying the high end Michelins don't bother and get something else for much less. Their quality has suffered on their lower end tires for years, somewhat of a back story and a certain retailer, but anyway don't bother unless you buy the best! Their high end tire is worth every penny btw. I have their costco brand on my 4runner (came with the vehicle) and they suck in the snow, bad!!!

Edit: if you're not in snow check out BFG traction T/A

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

I had a VW GTI with Michelin's 225R4517's on them. They were okay; but, driving on the autobahn in the unlimited portions, the tires would loos grip at 100 mph in a slight bent. Driving on the cobble stone streets of Mainz, Germany at slow speed of 10 to 18 mph, no traction what so ever. It was scary!

I ordered new tires, Pirelli P Zero Nero tires, loved the rain and the dry. Snow not so good, I purchased some winter tires, Bridgestone Blizzak WS50 (No longer available), great on snow and ice. I later picked up some Pirelli high speed winter tires after the Blizzak's.

boatme98 05-09-2014 11:36 PM

The two remaining tires are Primacy' s.
I only need 2 tires.
I won't mix radials, so the same tire goes on the front.
I've used Michelins for decades, on more vehicles than I can count. I have no reason to switch.

I tried Tire Rack. By the time I drove to the nearest one, I wouldn't be saving anything.