Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Local Las Vegas shooting park prevails (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/local-las-vegas-shooting-park-prevails-13888/)

AcidFlashGordon 05-15-2009 04:09 AM

Local Las Vegas shooting park prevails

For 20 years, the Clark County Shooting Park has been on the books. Originally, the land was 6 miles away from any housing. Recently, during the "land boom" here, developers bought up land by the hundred acre and constructed housing tracts. So, due to urban sprawl, fueled by unprecedented growth, homes have drawn to within a couple of miles of the proposed shooting park.

It seems that now, as construction continues, those homeowners in the area are suddenly concerned about the "noisy gun nuts" shooting near their homes. Some homeowners have even complained of the excessive gun noise, even though the shooting park is STILL under construction and no gun owners have been able to use the park. There IS a skeet range even closer to these homes but NONE of these homeowners even knew that.

A couple of the local newspaper stories:
IN THE OUTDOORS: Study: Shooting park no nuisance - Sports - ReviewJournal.com
Study: Noise at gun park falls within accepted threshold - News - ReviewJournal.com

Well, as of 12 May, the court battles are over. The shooting park will be open, as scheduled, in August.

Quote:

Clark County Shooting Park Opponents Defeated in District Court

On Tuesday, May 12, the United States District Court in Nevada issued a ruling denying a federal injunction that would have halted construction of the multi-million dollar Clark County Shooting Park. The months long legal battle began when a small band of homeowners, called the Residents for the Relocation of the Clark County Shooting Park, claimed that the County failed to provide adequate notice of the Park's construction, that the land was improperly zoned, and that the noise from the construction site and future shooting disciples would violate the county's noise ordinance and would be a nuisance as defined by state law.

According to court documents, U.S. District Court Judge Lloyd George was very clear in his decision, finding that "the plaintiffs had not met their burden of offering evidence establishing that irreparable harm is likely in the absence of an injunction."

According to the Shooting Park General Manager, former NRA Board of Director Don Turner, the plans for opening the Park in August remain intact and construction will be moving forward.
Even though August and September are the hottest months in Las Vegas, I'll still be taking my AK-47, AR-15 and Mosin-Nagant out there to run rounds downrange. AND, if I get off my butt and order the Dragunov (actually the PSL Romanian PSL-54C 7.62x54R Rifle at aimsurplus.com), I'll be taking THAT one out there, too.

dragunovsks 05-15-2009 04:17 PM

Maybe those people should have done a little research into what was in the area before they built/bought thier homes. Glad to see stupidity was struck down this time.

Last year they built a hospital right across the interstate from my place of work, a limestone quarry. Quarries use explosives to lossen the rock and a noisy processing plant to process the rock. Now the hospital wants the quarry owners to stop using explosives because it bothers the patients at the hospital. My opinion, the patients will get over it because the rock quarry has been there since 1953. I wish people would use thier heads when they build.

AcidFlashGordon 05-16-2009 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dragunovsks (Post 106303)
I wish people would use thier heads when they build.

Unfortunately, the great god, Money, runs the lives of many developers. They don't give an aerial intercourse through a highly motivated circular pastry about anything else. And besides, where they've got their heads would involve employing a very good proctologist to find it.