Local Gunstore Issue
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Local Gunstore Issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2012, 08:17 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 2

Default Local Gunstore Issue

I'd like to get the opinion of the group.

I have a LGS that I have dealth with for over 25+ years and they know who I am when I call and know me by name when I go in. This year alone I have bought three guns from them.

Anyway, I called and asked them to order me a set of grips, a less than $50 item, for a gun. They have ordered stuff for me in the past with no issues. This time they wanted me to come in and make a deposit. From all indications they aren't losing money, as guns are flying off the shelves, and they have done this for me in the past and I have always paid for the items I requested.

When I got done, and phone routed to the Manager, whom I also have known for years, I was a bit torqued and considering not ever doing business there again or recommending them.

I am a repeat customer, have ordered stuff from them in the past, and never not paid for what I've requested. I have also sent multiple sales thier way, five .41 Magnum N-Frames, without a lock, alone in the past couple of years, and bring people to thier door. I'm loyal and request the same from them. I consider it like a slap in the face to be asked to drive down and "make a deposit" on such a small item. I called Pacmayer myself and ordered them.

I'm thinking of never gracing thier door again. What say you? I have another local FFL that handles all my transfers and buy most of my better guns online but I usually give them the first chance to match prices and if they come close, even if it cost more after taxes, I buy from them.

Biker

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-04-2012, 08:24 AM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2871 Times on 1658 Posts
Likes Given: 1235

If they had to change policy, there probably was a reason.

All it takes is another customer to order something and not pay for it. This causes the LGS to get stuck with excess merchandise. Sending it back costs additional money, so selling it is cheaper (if they can sell it).

Don't take it personally, as this could have been the result of someone else screwing up.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 01-04-2012, 11:51 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1726 Times on 897 Posts
Likes Given: 3651

Recon it would be best to just confront the manager or owner. Tell em how ya feel about their new policy.

Old 01-04-2012, 12:56 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Why wouldn't you just order a non-FFL item direct to begin with? I don't understand that part. Can the shop get enough of a better deal to make something off the transaction and still give you a comparable price to ordering direct?

I guess i just don't have a good enough LGS. I buy firearms there and that is about it. The guy doesn't sell much ammo or seem interested in going up against Wally'sworld on it; he can usually come up with a box or two to go with a firearm purchase, no more. The shop also doesn't really do much in accessories.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:13 PM   #5
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1974 Times on 1069 Posts
Likes Given: 587

I buy a lot of items locally that I could get on line. The lgs have to make a living or they wont be there. I have gotten some extremely good deals on ordered guns because they know me and know I buy there. Talk to the owner/mgr personally there and let him know you are disappointed. The person you talked to may not realize who you are.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 01-04-2012, 02:07 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 672 Times on 314 Posts
Likes Given: 391

biker, you probably just got caught up in a new store policy brought about by too many people special-ordering items, then not picking them up and leaving the store stuck with unwanted items in stock. It's difficult to have a store policy saying 'No special orders over the phone except for 'biker.' Money up-front for special-order items except for 'biker.' I understand the frustration of not being to place the order over the phone but I wouldn't take it personally.

Old 01-04-2012, 02:15 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
If they had to change policy, there probably was a reason.

All it takes is another customer to order something and not pay for it. This causes the LGS to get stuck with excess merchandise. Sending it back costs additional money, so selling it is cheaper (if they can sell it).

Don't take it personally, as this could have been the result of someone else screwing up.
I quite agree. Maybe the gun shop had gotten burnt by someone.

Old 01-04-2012, 02:31 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 672 Times on 314 Posts
Likes Given: 391

Another thought. If not being allowed to place orders over the phone is really inconvenient, why not speak to the manager and explain your problem. If you trust him, offer to let him personally hold your credit card # to cover his butt. He might just cut you a special deal.

Old 01-04-2012, 06:31 PM   #9

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I just had my lgs order some primer tubes from Dillon. They were already placing an order. I don't mind paying a little markup since I'm not paying shipping.

I would be somewhat offended had they asked for prepay.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 01-04-2012, 09:18 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 103 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I agree that they probably have changed their policy due to being screwed over by others and that it probably isn't anything personal against you.

If you let the manager know that you were so disappointed and so inconvenienced by being asked to drive there just to pay on a small item that you just ordered it directly from someone else, he might be willing to work with you more next time. The credit card suggestion wasn't a bad one, either. At my last job (which was not firearm related at all), I was happy to work with trusted regular customers and make some exceptions when I could (company policy absolutely prohibited some things.) However, I could only try to come up with a solution for people who communicated their issues with me.