Live Tissue Training
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Live Tissue Training

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2009, 01:34 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 16
Default Live Tissue Training

I'm new here, so I'll give a quick intro. I am active duty Army, a medic in 3rd ID.
I have heard that there are civillian companys that can provide both EMS and Military medics with live tissue training. I havent heard much details about it because of nondisclosure agreements (thank you PETA), but what I have heard is the animals, usualy swine or goats, are kept unconsious from before it begins untill they die, either from **** ups or leathal injection at the end of the day.

My question is: Does anyone here have a problem with this kind of training for medical personel? I think its a great idea, but i'm kind of biased. I want the best, most realistic training possible before my boots hit the ground overseas. Would most rational people support this idea, or is in not just PETA nuts who would be upset?

Also, I heard that they cant use "ballistic injuries," aka "shoot the damn thing and then take care of it." Ideas on this? Ok to cut but not shoot? What about burns? or amputations? If you think its ok to do in the first place, where should the line be drawn on the injuries they can recieve, if at all?

Witchdoctor 4-Hotel

__________________
DOC_Hinman is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 09-16-2009, 01:52 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
bgeddes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 441
Default

When I got out of the Army and left Ft. Bragg (20ish years ago) I KNOW they were still using the 'Goat lab' at Fort Sam. The SF medics all had to complete it to pass. If I recall it was a gut shot .30-06 on a full grown goat.

For that level of training, I have zero problem with it. The folks training for that job don't have years to do an internship and learn to treat high level trauma. I'm on the fence for Civilians, stuff like this tends to get out of hand.

__________________
bgeddes is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 02:00 AM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
skullcrusher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ohio,Ohio
Posts: 10,949
Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Default

Imho, animals in full is good to go. Pigs, goats, cows, manitees, dolphins, koalas, etc. Why not chimps?

Human trauma training should be done in Emergency Rooms of established hospitals.

__________________

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!


Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!
skullcrusher is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 02:00 AM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
IGETEVEN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Tornado \"Just Blow Me\" Alley,Oklahoma U.S.A.
Posts: 8,424
Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC_Hinman View Post
I'm new here, so I'll give a quick intro. I am active duty Army, a medic in 3rd ID.
I have heard that there are civilian companys that can provide both EMS and Military medics with live tissue training. I haven't heard much details about it because of nondisclosure agreements (thank you PETA), but what I have heard is the animals, usually swine or goats, are kept unconscious from before it begins until they die, either from **** ups or lethal injection at the end of the day.

My question is: Does anyone here have a problem with this kind of training for medical personel? I think its a great idea, but i'm kind of biased. I want the best, most realistic training possible before my boots hit the ground overseas. Would most rational people support this idea, or is in not just PETA nuts who would be upset?

Also, I heard that they cant use "ballistic injuries," aka "shoot the damn thing and then take care of it." Ideas on this? Ok to cut but not shoot? What about burns? or amputations? If you think its ok to do in the first place, where should the line be drawn on the injuries they can receive, if at all?

Witchdoctor 4-Hotel

This is as realistic trauma soft tissue and stabilization medical training you will receive, if they are still allowing it to take place. I will not go into details about this training and the type of trauma tissue injuries these animals are presented with for training and labs on a this open forum. I will say I participated in a number of them and was required to stabilize and keep alive my traumatized "animal patient" in order to graduate my SF 18D medical course training.

Please PM me if you would like me to go into greater detail on this subject and discuss it further.

Also, I had to correct a lot of your spelling there soldier, pay closer attention to detail, you are not a doctor yet.

Jack
__________________
Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”
IGETEVEN is offline  
dog2000tj Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 02:05 AM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
skullcrusher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ohio,Ohio
Posts: 10,949
Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGETEVEN View Post
This is as realistic trauma soft tissue and stabilization medical training you will receive, if they are still allowing it to take place. I will not go into details about this training and the type of trauma tissue injuries these animals are presented with for training and labs on a this open forum. I will say I participated in a number of them and was required to stabilize and keep alive my traumatized "animal patient" in order to graduate my SF 18D medical course training.

Please PM me if you would like me to go into greater detail on this subject and discuss it further.

Also, I had to correct a lot of your spelling there soldier, pay closer attention to detail, you are not a doctor yet.

Jack
Hell, Jack, why not correct punctuation as well. Conjunction function, my friend.
__________________

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!


Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!
skullcrusher is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 02:25 AM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
IGETEVEN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Tornado \"Just Blow Me\" Alley,Oklahoma U.S.A.
Posts: 8,424
Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Hell, Jack, why not correct punctuation as well. Conjunction function, my friend.
True, I will give him a break.............this time.

Jack
__________________
Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”
IGETEVEN is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 02:35 AM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 16
Default

Apologies for my misspelling and lack of proper grammar. My IBA needed cleaning, and I was in a rush once I looked in the lower right hand corner.
Also, I apologize if my name offends, I just chose what my tankers call me.

__________________
DOC_Hinman is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 02:47 AM   #8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgeddes View Post
When I got out of the Army and left Ft. Bragg (20ish years ago) I KNOW they were still using the 'Goat lab' at Fort Sam. The SF medics all had to complete it to pass. If I recall it was a gut shot .30-06 on a full grown goat.

For that level of training, I have zero problem with it. The folks training for that job don't have years to do an internship and learn to treat high level trauma. I'm on the fence for Civilians, stuff like this tends to get out of hand.
You say you don't have a problem with "that level of training." Is that just for SF guys, or military medicine in general. I'm just a run of the mill, one per platoon, PFC Combat Medic. But when I go outside the wire, I'm responsible for that entire platoon. Short of a company level mission, I'm the only medic out there. Short of a battalion level movement, I provide the highest level of care. Sure, the NCO's have more experience, but unless our PA comes with us, everyone has had the same training. So do I deserve Live Tissue Training, or is it just the 18D MOS who gets it?
__________________
DOC_Hinman is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 02:49 AM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 16
Default

bgeddes, I'm sorry if I came across as agressive in my last post. I just would like clarification, I'm not trying to attack you.

__________________
DOC_Hinman is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 02:55 AM   #10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Imho, animals in full is good to go. Pigs, goats, cows, manitees, dolphins, koalas, etc. Why not chimps?

Human trauma training should be done in Emergency Rooms of established hospitals.
I would love to do that. However, there are a lot of medics, and not so many trauma patients. Also, most of the wounds in civilian ERs are unlike the kind we are likely to encounter. Even GSWs are likely to be by pistols and small caliber rifles, instead of the high velocity rifle, shrapnel, and blast injuries medics are likely to see. I could see benefit from working at a burn center.
__________________
DOC_Hinman is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Stuff You Won't Live Down user4 The Club House 6 02-15-2009 02:43 AM
Do you live in California? 40CalComfort Politics, Religion and Controversy 8 02-13-2009 11:38 PM