a little truck trouble

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > a little truck trouble

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2013, 10:47 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 562 Times on 371 Posts

Default a little truck trouble

So I bought a new 2010 f150 back in july of 2010. Its white and I love the truck. After the first winter I noticed tiny rust spots all over the truck. Especially bad on the rocker panels, sides of the bed and tailgate. I took it back to the dealer and they used a special neutralizing acid and clay barred the truck and it looked brand new. Another winter goes by and same deal. This time ford says I'm on my own. So I clayed the truck myself and it loolks new again. My wife bought a 2012 white honda pilot and I'm noticing the same thing on hers. Anyone have any experience with this?? Ive read up in rail dust but I'm fairly sure that its not the cause. I also read it could be the brake pads. I read if I change to all ceramic pads it could help. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Clay bars are a times consuming process

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-04-2013, 11:15 AM   #2

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

keep them waxed well through the winter and wash more often.not sure where your at but i'm assuming they use salt on the roads there.

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America,and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation, under God, indivisible,
With Liberty and Justice for all.

dango Likes This 
Old 03-04-2013, 11:18 AM   #3

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Yeah, rail dust is a big culprit. But that's usually gone after being clayed. You said it snows there. Rocker panels and sides are where many vehicles affected by road salt stat to rust the most, rail dust usually affects the upper horizontal planes of a car body the most, such as the roof, hood, and trunk lids on cars.

I think you're having a road salt problem. Regular washing even during the winter, paying particular attention to the undercarriage (if you have access to a lift, use it), should help quite a bit.

Old 03-04-2013, 12:12 PM   #4

I'm in Massachusetts so lots of road salt. Ive clayed but not waxed after. I will try it thanks. Love the truck but hate claying 2-3 times a year

Old 03-04-2013, 01:11 PM   #5

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rurak
I'm in Massachusetts so lots of road salt. Ive clayed but not waxed after. I will try it thanks. Love the truck but hate claying 2-3 times a year
What is claying? Ive never heard of it. Im from indiana and get our fair share of salt and brine on the roads.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

dango Likes This 
Old 03-04-2013, 01:24 PM   #6

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragunovsks View Post

What is claying? Ive never heard of it. Im from indiana and get our fair share of salt and brine on the roads.
Ever taken silly putty and pressed it on a newspaper to lift the print for fun as a kid? Same concept, except you do it to a car and draw all kind of filth out of your paint job. And the clay isn't much bigger than a ball of silly putty, so you can understand the frustration...
Old 03-04-2013, 01:29 PM   #7

Liked 156 Times on 93 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragunovsks

Claying uses well; a piece of clay and some lubricating fluid. Literally run it across your paint to remove small imperfections as the soft clay picks it up. Ever run your hand across your paint and felt little imperfections? After proper claying your paint will feel smooth as silk, you'll be amazed. As for the OP and as others have said, WAX WAX WAX! If you wanna go over board like me use a cleaner paste->polish->then wax= 3 steps for best results. As far as wax goes, I've become a big fan of the synthetic wax's (Meguiar's or eagle one work well for me). In between true waxings, wash and use a simple spray on/wipe off wax that takes seconds; or even use the wax at the self car wash places. Just Do what you can to keep a nice barrier between the salt/grime and your paint. I have had more than a few vehicles over 10-15 years old that look factory fresh (save for a few scrapes and chips along the way) just by keeping a nice layer of wax on em.

The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved

dango Likes This 
Old 03-04-2013, 01:33 PM   #8

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286

Ever taken silly putty and pressed it on a newspaper to lift the print for fun as a kid? Same concept, except you do it to a car and draw all kind of filth out of your paint job. And the clay isn't much bigger than a ball of silly putty, so you can understand the frustration...
Ah hell, i see. I guess its not very common in my area or they use a different concoction on the roads. Here they pretreat the roads before a winter storm with liquid brine, creates dark lines in the road. Salt and embers are also used when snow and ice is already down.

Ive never had a rust issue on my vehicles and i usually only wash mine once or twice all winter versus every other week in the summer. Our weather here is so screwed up its funny, youll get a nice 50 degree day to wash the truck followed to 15 degrees the next day with snow/ice. I figure whats the point if it doesnt stay clean more than 24 hours.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

dango Likes This 
Old 03-04-2013, 02:00 PM   #9

I don't mind the clay but I want to make sure I'm doing the most I can because I am going to have this truck for a long time I hope. I hate waxing but ill do it I guess. Ill try and get some pics of it. Next vehicle won't be white!!!!

Old 03-04-2013, 02:15 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3175 Times on 1805 Posts
Likes Given: 18420

Doing what I do for a living gives me much spray stuff to play with.
Every oil change . I strain it , put my truck on blocks and everything I can via spray gun and tube, spray it.! Messy , but worth it...!

After it quits "Ooozing" , I clean and wax.