A little question?? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > A little question??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2008, 11:22 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
The subject is best, right? No real way of knowing.

The Enfield's were the same way. Until semi-auto firearms replaced the bolt action, the LEs didn't need to change much. Doesn't mean they are any better than the Springfields or Mausers.
D
I agree in principle, I like the M1 and at the time it was revolutionary idea to equipe every soldier with a semi automatic weapon, when at a time when the British Army's opinion was that the British soldier was likely to 'waste' ammunition! It was 1956 before they changed their view.... The SMLE was in only one area superior to the Mausers (and M1903 of course), in that they have a far more rapid rate of fire with the bolt, due to the length of the case and the action...........

Old 05-14-2008, 02:41 PM   #12

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris View Post
I agree in principle, I like the M1 and at the time it was revolutionary idea to equipe every soldier with a semi automatic weapon, when at a time when the British Army's opinion was that the British soldier was likely to 'waste' ammunition! It was 1956 before they changed their view.... The SMLE was in only one area superior to the Mausers (and M1903 of course), in that they have a far more rapid rate of fire with the bolt, due to the length of the case and the action...........

Also because the SMLE cocks on closing. This makes rapid reloading a breeze because the firing pin spring assists in the rearward movement of the bolt when ejecting. It has been written that a well aimed marksman could fire off over 40 rds./min. Additionally, I believe the SMLE's were the only bolt guns of WWII that had a 10 rd. magazine capacity.
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 05-14-2008, 09:43 PM   #13

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris View Post
The SMLE was in only one area superior to the Mausers (and M1903 of course), in that they have a far more rapid rate of fire with the bolt, due to the length of the case and the action...........
And that's one reason I would like to have one. I love my '03 Springfield, but it's a bit slow for a left hander. I'd like to have a "mad minute" and see how they work, but it seems the supply has dried up in my area. It was a choice between the Swiss K31 and the Enfield two years ago and I went with the Swiss. No complaints though, I think it's the most accurate of the rifles I own.

9x18=Makarov

Old 05-16-2008, 06:09 PM   #14

thanks for posting that video Pioneer, i hadn't seen that yet.