A Little Piece of Home - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > A Little Piece of Home

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2008, 08:39 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
That's an excellent idea. I'll dig through the vast collection of DVDs and scrape some up to send.

Did we want to make this a group effort on behalf of Firearmstalk.com? Or just keep it an individual thing?

Another worthy cause is Operation Gratitude. Please check it out and consider helping out.
You know, that would really be an awesome idea. They accept donations through PayPal and apparently $35/ea. piece is enough to generate a complete gift pack of movie, candy, popcorn, some powered drink like kool-aid/Gatoraid and a note saying thank you. I bet we could take up a collection around the forum and purchase quite a few of those things. We should put that to a vote. If everyone chipped in $5 ea I bet we could have a monster pool to draw from.....

Really good idea bkt!!

JD

Old 06-19-2008, 03:22 AM   #12

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
You know, that would really be an awesome idea. They accept donations through PayPal and apparently $35/ea. piece is enough to generate a complete gift pack of movie, candy, popcorn, some powered drink like kool-aid/Gatoraid and a note saying thank you. I bet we could take up a collection around the forum and purchase quite a few of those things. We should put that to a vote. If everyone chipped in $5 ea I bet we could have a monster pool to draw from.....

Really good idea bkt!!

JD
Excellent thread....

Along those lines, when I was in gulf war 1 it was very nice to hear my name called to pickup a care package....

If you know anyone in the service, it means a whole lot to receive a package. My mom never spent a lot of money, but always sent the best stuff... little things. But then she sent many packages to my dad so she knew....

I'll have three to take care of in my family... was three before, but one came back wounded... now another cousin will be going over in a couple of months to join his two brothers.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:41 PM   #13

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
That's an excellent idea. I'll dig through the vast collection of DVDs and scrape some up to send.

Did we want to make this a group effort on behalf of Firearmstalk.com? Or just keep it an individual thing?

Another worthy cause is Operation Gratitude. Please check it out and consider helping out.
This is an excellent idea! My son goes over next month so if you want to make this a Forum event let me know and count me in. I also have about 250 paper back novels that I don't know what to do with. My Dad used to bring his to the VA Hospital in Montrose NY, but there aren't any near where I live. I don't know how much time the troops have in Iraq to read, but maybe they could use them?
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Last edited by RL357Mag; 06-19-2008 at 09:46 PM.

Old 07-11-2008, 07:05 PM   #14

*BUMP*

Because I feel it's a good cause and because something like this can mean a lot to you if you are away from those you love.

JD

Old 07-12-2008, 11:57 AM   #15
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Argh! Thanks for the reminder. I still have the stack of DVDs right next to me and I need to get them out the door. Hopefully, today I'll have a chance to take them to the post office.

Coordinating a firearmstalk.com-based donation may not be practical when you consider the additional shipping costs. If we were all pretty much local to one another, that would be a different story. I'm open to ideas, certainly, but it might be best to just send in what you have.

They are looking for any or all of the following items:

- New or used DVD movies
- Packets of microwave popcorn
- Packets of presweetened, powdered drink mixes (no tubs)
- Assortments of movie theater-style candy (No chocolate)
- A letter of support from you and your family or friends
- Cash donations to help cover the cost of shipping

Send what you have in a sturdy box to:

Operation: Take a Soldier to the Movies
c/o Hintzke & Associates
14775 W National Ave
New Berlin, WI 53151-4434
(262) 754-4300

Last edited by bkt; 07-12-2008 at 12:01 PM.

Old 07-13-2008, 02:02 AM   #16

That's an awesome idea! BTW about 2-3 times a year I go through all my paperback books and musclecar, gun, and woodworking magazines and send them to the troops. One organization is Adopt-a-Soldier. You can get the info from a recruiting office and also Marines Toys for Tots may have info too. Also www.subscriptions4soldiers.com. Also the soldiers of Bonecrusher Troop 3-7 Cav. are short on cleaning supplies for 5.56mm and 7.62mm like bore patches and brushes and especially Break-Free CLP. Send to: Any Cavalry Trooper
C/O SFC Lugo, 2nd. Platoon, B Trp 3/7 Cav, Unit 5972, APO AE 09378. Toss some of those DVD's and magazines in there too!

Old 07-13-2008, 02:07 AM   #17

I believe RL357Mag had a ton of used paperbacks he was looking to donate. This sounds like a great place to do so...

Everyone should dig deep in the closests. You may think it's nothing, but when you are thousands of miles away from the ones you love, a little piece of "nothing" from home is worth more than it's wait in gold...

JD

Old 07-13-2008, 02:39 AM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I wonder if booze would make it.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 07-14-2008, 06:35 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
I wonder if booze would make it.
I've heard rumors that an empty bottle of Listerene could be used. No personal experience though.

Old 07-15-2008, 12:19 AM   #20
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8842 Times on 3828 Posts
Likes Given: 1368

Gents- these are some good things you are doing. I have two units that I am supporting now- a couple of thoughts on good stuff to send (and I love the DVD/popcorn/koolaid concept). Depending on where the guys are: Writing paper, envelopes, pens. No stamps needed. Presweetened drink mixes. AA batteries. A baseball, frisbee, etc. Books, especially paperbacks are always good. Hard candy like Lifesavers, tictacs. Have sent the little cans of Pringles, they ship well. Don't forget there are FEMALE troops there as well- have sent some of my collection of hotel soaps, shampoos, conditioners. And toss in a local newspaper. I ALWAYS use Sunday Funnies for padding when shipping. and to all- thanks for thinking about the guys- they really do appreciate it.