A Little Piece of Home
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > A Little Piece of Home

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2008, 04:17 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Default A Little Piece of Home

Okay guys - All political BS aside, we know that we have plenty of brave men and women stationed all around the globe standing guard on our behalf. I would hope no one on this forum would take that lightly. If you have ever been away from home, from your friends & family, in a foreign land, I am sure you can sympathize with the feelings of just wanting a little piece of home to ease some of the "fishbowl" syndrome.

A group has come up with a program called Take a Soldier to the Movies that I think is a great cause. They accept donations of new or old DVD's, microwave popcorn, powered drinks and movie candy, box them up in individual containers wrapped in American flag colors and send them out, free of charge, to any of the troops that request a movie. The troops can then arrange to have a regular "Night at the Movies" for anyone interested and maybe forget about being away from home, in hostile territory, missing a loved one, or anything else that might be bothering them for a couple of hours of escapism.

Now, if your home is anything like my place, we have a ton of old DVD's that we bought, for whatever reason, and many duplicates that my finacee' had in her collection and I had in mind. We went through the closet and found 32 DVD's, all current titles, that we sent out, along with a Costco edition of microwave popcorn. We included a note, wishing the troops well and hopefully they enjoyed the show. To our surprise, we got our first letter back and it was quite touching. I am going to see if I can get it scanned so I can post it, but suffice to say, the troops at an airbase in Afghanistan had a night of watching "Collateral" and greatly enjoyed the show.

I have found this a very easy, cheap as I had already bought the movies previously and had burned them into my home system and Zune, & rewarding way to send some love to the troops that we, in our house, thank everyday for doing what they do.

I thought maybe some of you might have some DVD's that you no longer watch, or could throw a few bags of microwave popcorn in the cart the next time you go shopping. These good folks at the included link would love to get the donations and they will make sure it goes to a good place.

Thanks for your time!

JD

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-18-2008, 04:19 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Outstanding idea. I'll put some stuff together this weekend.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 06-18-2008, 04:30 PM   #3

thanks for the info. i have friends that recently depoyed (again). they'll definitely appreciate this program.

Old 06-18-2008, 04:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltm4 View Post
thanks for the info. i have friends that recently depoyed (again). they'll definitely appreciate this program.
Definitely. If they are active duty they can go right on the website and request a movie package. It looks like a great deal for the troops....

JD

Old 06-18-2008, 05:22 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

That's a good idea. I too have a bunch of DVD's I no longer really need after ripping to a server. Thanks for the link.

Old 06-18-2008, 05:43 PM   #6

Thanks for the info JD. It also will keep our troops in our hearts and minds. One of my mentorees my be getting deployed by the end of the year. I hope everyone will take advantage of this selfless act. It might make us a little more compassionate when we are spewing our political rhetoric and garbage.

Liberals And Moderates Hate Me!!

Just remember, Hitler gave great speeches too.

Old 06-18-2008, 06:55 PM   #7

Well, if everyone sent in one or two movies, each one represents 1.5 or 2 hours of escapism for several of our armed forces members, as I suspect they aren't hording them in their lockers and not sharing them out around the masses. I can tell from the letter we received that it was very nice to have some candy, some popcorn and an American flick to watch in between assignments.

Thanks to anyone that can send anything over to them....

JD

Old 06-18-2008, 08:48 PM   #8

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Stellar idea! I'm making a list for the next time I go shopping!!

Old 06-18-2008, 09:08 PM   #9
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

That's an excellent idea. I'll dig through the vast collection of DVDs and scrape some up to send.

Did we want to make this a group effort on behalf of Firearmstalk.com? Or just keep it an individual thing?

Another worthy cause is Operation Gratitude. Please check it out and consider helping out.

Old 06-18-2008, 09:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
That's an excellent idea. I'll dig through the vast collection of DVDs and scrape some up to send.

Did we want to make this a group effort on behalf of Firearmstalk.com? Or just keep it an individual thing?

Another worthy cause is Operation Gratitude. Please check it out and consider helping out.
I'm for a group thing. Maybe we could set up someone we trust and will do the buying up the movies to take paypal donations and send a bunch of movies. I personally don't own many movies, but I would be willing to throw a 5 or a 10 in there.

Liberals And Moderates Hate Me!!

Just remember, Hitler gave great speeches too.