A Little More Help From Former/Current LEO's

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > A Little More Help From Former/Current LEO's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2012, 03:25 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 188 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 304

Default A Little More Help From Former/Current LEO's

Hey guys, I appreciate any of you taking the time to read this and offer any help you can.

I'm currently in school with a major in Ciminal Justice with an emphasis in Law Enforcement with a minor in Spanish.

I'm also on the University's shotgun shooting team. I've also been a gun nut since I was about 7 and spend the majority of my free time researching and learning.

The other day my professor who is a former Missouri State Trooper, Nevada State Trooper and St. Charles Police Officer was talking about Police Armorers and the job really piqued my interest after not being sure what I wanted to do with these studies.

What steps should/can I take to try to become a Police Armorer???

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-19-2012, 01:38 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2865 Times on 1492 Posts
Likes Given: 254

Most agencies are not large enough to have a full time armorer. In the days of the six shot revolver, there was actually some work to be done on the guns. With the modern semi-auto pistol and limited amunition budgets, the guns just don't break. At best, you could hope for a small sideline in an agency working on some guns. Most places have a range officer that is also armorer trained.

Most manufacturers have armorers courses. I have been to S&W (revolver and pistol), Sig, Colt (AR's and M-16's) armorers courses. In an agency of over 1000 sworn, it was never more than a sideline. The occasional staking of a gas key or detail cleaning of an older Winchester shotgun is about it.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 10-19-2012, 02:38 PM   #3

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Is your underlying message, about your professor not being able to keep a job?

Seriously, I agree with Robocop. I know GT Distributors hosts Glock courses throughout the U.S, but I do believe they only accept certified LEO's for the course.

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 10-19-2012, 03:07 PM   #4

Liked 515 Times on 325 Posts
Likes Given: 952

My department like most requires you to be a certified firearms instructor in order to be an armor.

Jeremy

Member: NRA

The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!” – Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 10-20-2012, 03:24 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car54 View Post
Is your underlying message, about your professor not being able to keep a job?

Seriously, I agree with Robocop. I know GT Distributors hosts Glock courses throughout the U.S, but I do believe they only accept certified LEO's for the course.
Not at all. Every time he moved it was a promotion. State Trooper -> Chief of Nevada Troopers -> Moved back home as Chief of St. Chuck Police.

Old 10-20-2012, 03:24 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
Most agencies are not large enough to have a full time armorer. In the days of the six shot revolver, there was actually some work to be done on the guns. With the modern semi-auto pistol and limited amunition budgets, the guns just don't break. At best, you could hope for a small sideline in an agency working on some guns. Most places have a range officer that is also armorer trained.

Most manufacturers have armorers courses. I have been to S&W (revolver and pistol), Sig, Colt (AR's and M-16's) armorers courses. In an agency of over 1000 sworn, it was never more than a sideline. The occasional staking of a gas key or detail cleaning of an older Winchester shotgun is about it.

I had heard that it's mostly a side job that is combined with firearms instruction. I'm just not sure I can hack it as a patrol officer.

Old 10-20-2012, 02:53 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

VERY rare for a non certified PO to become an LE firearms instructor. Cops do not take instruction well from non-cops. You must have a certain degree of credibility to get to that position.

"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 10-20-2012, 04:12 PM   #8

Liked 515 Times on 325 Posts
Likes Given: 952

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm
VERY rare for a non certified PO to become an LE firearms instructor. Cops do not take instruction well from non-cops. You must have a certain degree of credibility to get to that position.
Agreed... :-D

Jeremy

Member: NRA

The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!” – Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 10-20-2012, 11:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
Of course. I realize that means going through academy, getting the job, and being sworn in.

I just don't neccesarily want to be a beat cop.

Old 10-21-2012, 12:12 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Well then, I think you have a nearly insurmountable task on your hands.

"Robo is right" Fuzzball