Little help with little birdies - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Little help with little birdies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2009, 06:57 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

LOL @ you guys!!

Well, they are the little fat brown birds and starlings too mostly, but some cardinals, blue birds, and wren are mingled in too at times.

Looks like the only feasible solution I see is timed feedings.

I have some bird feeders in the yard too. I don't want the birds to go away completely because of the insects.

My dogs would eat the netting or the rubber snakes,lol. What about those plastic hawks or owls?

Old 06-12-2009, 11:44 AM   #22

Liked 1109 Times on 657 Posts
Likes Given: 348

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
LOL @ you guys!!

Well, they are the little fat brown birds and starlings too mostly, but some cardinals, blue birds, and wren are mingled in too at times.

Looks like the only feasible solution I see is timed feedings.

I have some bird feeders in the yard too. I don't want the birds to go away completely because of the insects.

My dogs would eat the netting or the rubber snakes,lol. What about those plastic hawks or owls?

Don't waste your money. We have a starling problem in my neighborhood. Fake owls will work for a day or 2 but then the starlings will get so bold they will land right on them. The city came by and tried some kind of noise makers, like a shotgun with blanks, only worked for a little while. When I park my red car in my driveway under the overhang of the tree, the next day it's mostly white. I hate starlings, luckily we only have this problem like 1 month a year, well only 1 month of really bad problems.

Timed feedings sounds like your best option but until they are over a year or 2 make sure you feed them at least twice a day. After that it's safe to feed them once a day, its not cruel as some might tell you.

Well I can think of another way but its a bit more expensive. They make dog doors that only open when the dog collar gets close enough to the sensor. This could be modified and rigged to work with a small motor. Make a wooden box with a hinged lid for the food bowls. Attach the motor to the lid so that it can open it, connect the sensor and relay to the motor and bam! You have a dog food station that will open only when your dog is near the box. Of course you would have to plug this in as batteries would probably run out pretty quick. I guess you could make a non-powered version and just train your dogs to step on a lever to open the container, my bassett hound mastered my lever action trash can in just a couple days.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 06-12-2009, 01:08 PM   #23

Get rid of the blanks and shoot it up into your tree. I'd be interested to see how many fall out and re paint your car red

Old 06-12-2009, 02:22 PM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Wasn't there an early 1900's World's Fair in Chicago that was so nastied by starlings that officials allowed visiting tribal bowmen to shoot & eat the lil buggers? I can't find a reference, but that braincell is still firing (fix that this weekend).