Little help with little birdies - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Little help with little birdies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2009, 02:37 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If it's chicken flavored dog food, does that make them little bird cannibals?

I mean, I just wanna know.
Thats fowl.

"This is not about land or money...but the one thing that no man should never be able to take from another man: the freedom to make his own choices about his life, where he'll live, how he'll live, how he'll raise his family. "

William Travis, The Alamo: 13 Days to Glory

Old 06-11-2009, 02:42 PM   #12

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
Lots of good suggestions! I'm getting the elevated dishes as soon as the pups get taller. At 4months they are as tall as labs and weigh 50+lbs.

I'd like to shoot the birds, but dang, there is alot of them and of all types. They take the dogfood with them.

Timed feedings might be the answer, liked the doghouse one too, but when the elevated dishes gets here that won't do. hmmmmmm......
Birds are like libs on the gubmint dole, no matter how many rules or hoops required to access the 'free' lunch they will overcome!

We had two shop dogs and fed them on the back loading dock until we were washing down the area twice a day. Our birds would eat shit then eat more! The even found out if they put the dry food in the water bowl it would soften it so they could consume it easier!

It doesn't matter where you put the food. If it is outside the birds will get to it! We tried the dog house route and moved the mess there and the dogs out!

We moved the feeding into the warehouse and that just moved the birds inside along with the mess. We stopped open feeding and would bring the dogs in the office area in the AM and again just before closing time for feeding.

This ended the bird issue but a new problem surfaced. With no midnight snack to munch on the dogs started to show up in the morning with trophies from the previous night's hunt. Possums, coons, squirrels and the occasional cat. They also were sporting war wounds from this increase in night hunting.

Ah, pets. They are a labor of love!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 06-11-2009, 02:44 PM   #13

Get a bird dog I have two and anything in the yard be it a chipmunk, squirrel, cat, or a Bird up to a Turkey is going to be running for its life when my dogs set eyes on it!

A Cat is a good suggestion or maybe a wire mesh area around and over the food with a front entrance big enough for the dogs.

Old 06-11-2009, 02:44 PM   #14

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubergopher View Post
Thats fowl.
Ohhhh, Uber is quick this morning!

Well done, sir.

Old 06-11-2009, 02:46 PM   #15
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2864 Times on 1492 Posts
Likes Given: 254

My dogs get fed once a day. My Mastiff would gain another 50lbs if I open fed him. Pups will get by just fine with 2X daily feedings. The only problem with taking away the open feed is they can get into mischief when not occupied with eating.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 06-11-2009, 04:01 PM   #16

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
Here's the scoop. I have a huge backyard with two 4month old great danes in it. They pretty much live by the back door most of the time when they're not roaming. I feed them pretty well with top of the line large breed puppy food. BUT, the stinkin' birds just won't stay away from the food no matter what I do. I put it right next to the house and they just wait til' I close the door to swoop in. My dogs don't care to share either,lol.

How do I deal with these pesky birds?
You can try rubber snakes placed near the bowls. Lawn and garden places also sell plastic owls that you can put in your back yard. They work sometimes. Just a suggestion.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 06-11-2009, 05:04 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I just thought of an actual use for one of those singing/animatronic fish things! Put it by the bowl after the pups have breakfast & crank up the volume. I bet the birds get sick of billy bass pretty quickly. I bet the dogs will get used to it quickly enough, as they get hungry. (might want to hang it out of pup reach)

Quote:
If it's chicken flavored dog food, does that make them little bird cannibals?
I had a buddy whose college pet was a parrot (red-headed mexican, i bleve); it looooooooooved Church's fried chicken.

Last edited by orangello; 06-11-2009 at 05:10 PM.

Old 06-12-2009, 01:53 AM   #18
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Put a bird feeder at the far point of the lawn, it won't take away all of the birds but will move most. The birds are nice to have about as they eat the insects and bugs in your yard/lawn.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 06-12-2009, 03:25 AM   #19

I just recently got rid of the birds that would eat about 5 cups of dog food in less then 10 minutes.

I had to put those little spike things on every place i saw them perching just waiting for my dog to just turn his head. I also ran fishing line in a tight checkered pattern about 12 feet off the ground. So far it has kept them away for about a week now. If they return i will be getting some sort of motion sprinkler or something like that.

It seems as if there migration pattern has changed from where ever they come from to my back yard. I have a 2 year old that loves to play out side but with all the bird crap out there, he's either going to pick it up and get sick or get very very muddy from me washing off the deck 90 billion times a day.. Not to mention birds carry fleas and ticks "all i need to have infest my yard"

good luck if you come up with any clever effective techniques PLEASE!! let me know. .

Old 06-12-2009, 03:29 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDB View Post
Put a bird feeder at the far point of the lawn, it won't take away all of the birds but will move most. The birds are nice to have about as they eat the insects and bugs in your yard/lawn.
I have a couple feeders in my yard "about an acre", they only birds that feed from them are the type of birds you want in the yard, colorful little birds, the ones good on the eyes. The ones that rape my dog food are ugly brown fat little birds "maybe fat from the dog food"