Little help with little birdies
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Little help with little birdies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2009, 02:31 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default Little help with little birdies

Here's the scoop. I have a huge backyard with two 4month old great danes in it. They pretty much live by the back door most of the time when they're not roaming. I feed them pretty well with top of the line large breed puppy food. BUT, the stinkin' birds just won't stay away from the food no matter what I do. I put it right next to the house and they just wait til' I close the door to swoop in. My dogs don't care to share either,lol.

How do I deal with these pesky birds?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-11-2009, 02:46 PM   #2

Liked 1206 Times on 719 Posts
Likes Given: 383

Air rifle if you can't use anything larger.

Do the birds actually take the food away or just nibble on it at the bowl? If they are taking it and it's the small pieces maybe try a brand that has larger chunks, might be to big for them to eat.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 06-11-2009, 02:50 PM   #3

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

At about 8 or 9 months old I stopped free feeding my dogs. They now get one meal a day in the evening. If they don't eat it in half an hour I pick it up. For the danes probably twice a day, check with your vet.

Old 06-11-2009, 02:51 PM   #4

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Good luck! Feed the dogs inside. Do the birds "eat like a bird"? If so, how much can they consume...

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 06-11-2009, 02:55 PM   #5

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus View Post
Air rifle if you can't use anything larger.

Do the birds actually take the food away or just nibble on it at the bowl? If they are taking it and it's the small pieces maybe try a brand that has larger chunks, might be to big for them to eat.
You can try what Yunus suggests, it might just work, but the only sure two things that will work, is feed him in his doghouse, if he has one, or get a CAT. The cat will chase off them birds, catch a few, and even bring them in the house to show you his trophy, lets it loose and then you can chase the damn bird around the house. At least ours does this. I wish you luck, we have the same problem, but the cat keeps most birds away.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 06-11-2009, 03:00 PM   #6

LOL try the alkaseltzer trick. Break up alkaseltzer into halfs and put it in pieces of bread and when the birds come throw the bread out. when they eat it......BOOM they will fly away and explode. Pretty funny site to see. Thats what we did with the pidgeons in my back yard....

All it takes for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing....

Old 06-11-2009, 03:06 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Maybe some plastic netting from Lowes could be helpful for the dogs' dining room. http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productList&N=4294961544&Ne=4294967294& Ntk=i_products&Ntt=bird+netting Maybe some old school shiny pie plates like in the garden?

You might consider elevating the food bowls to make it easier on the doggies' necks, if you don't.

Old 06-11-2009, 03:12 PM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Lots of good suggestions! I'm getting the elevated dishes as soon as the pups get taller. At 4months they are as tall as labs and weigh 50+lbs.

I'd like to shoot the birds, but dang, there is alot of them and of all types. They take the dogfood with them.

Timed feedings might be the answer, liked the doghouse one too, but when the elevated dishes gets here that won't do. hmmmmmm......

Old 06-11-2009, 03:13 PM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Maybe some plastic netting from Lowes could be helpful for the dogs' dining room. http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productList&N=4294961544&Ne=4294967294& Ntk=i_products&Ntt=bird+netting Maybe some old school shiny pie plates like in the garden?

You might consider elevating the food bowls to make it easier on the doggies' necks, if you don't.
That might just work.

Old 06-11-2009, 03:33 PM   #10

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

If it's chicken flavored dog food, does that make them little bird cannibals?

I mean, I just wanna know.