Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > a little help....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 05:00 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2583 Times on 1294 Posts
Likes Given: 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by emil View Post
hi members of firearmstalk.
im writing a report on rhetorics and gun control in the US, and i need an advise. i would just like to ask, why it is, in your opinion, important to own a gun. why do you need it? do you think crime rates are affected by the number of guns owned by citizens? do you own a weapon for self defense, hunting, target shooting, or something else?
i sincerely hope that someone will take the time to answer these questions. i'm from Denmark, and we can barely own a knife, without getting the police breathing down our necks.
have a nice day
emil
As I recall, the (theoretical) right to free speech still applies in the EU. (Unless one were to speak ill of the muslim invasion of Europe. Then it's hate speech that must be suppressed.)
Thus, I would, in response, ask you why you think you need the right to speak freely or perhaps observe your religion as you see fit? Same deal.
Our right to keep & bear arms is not subservient to other rights. (Contrary to what many would have us believe.) It is the one right that ensures that the other constitutional rights survive past our current administration. The 2nd Amendment isn't about hunting or sporting use or hobbyists or other such nonsense. It's about being able to defend oneself against an oppressive govt. That's how it was written and that was the intent of our founders. Once you put aside the rhetoric & noise generated by the gun hating left, it's really quite simple:
Quote:
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Not real complex is it? It's sort of amazing how much people have read into the original intent. The "Shall no be infringed" part is especially interesting. The amount of infringement allowed to be applied to the 2nd amendment would never be tolerated when applied to any other part of the constitution (with the possible exception of the 4th amendment and "unreasonable" search & seizure, in the context of post 9-11 air travel.)
NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman

Old 12-04-2012, 05:02 PM   #22

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

okay, i gotta give it to you, that was extremely well spoken. and im sorry if it sounded like i was generalizing Americans, which i probably did. oh, and by the way, i do want to go to America when i can afford it, and have the time, it seems like quite a nice place.

but i must ask, do you really think the second amendment still has it's place in modern politics? i mean, what are the chances of a tyrannical government taking over America today? you certainly don't need to fear the brits, that's for sure.
surely, the second amendment has served it purposes, but don't you think that there is a higher chance of hurting a loved one, than a criminal?

and our european mindset is based upon a trust towards the government, which i guess is the main difference between Americans and Europeans (maybe not south-europe). We believe, that if we are being robbed, the police will come, if our house is burning, a fireman will be there to put out the fire, and we believe, that if we are bleeding out, we will soon be brought to the hospital.

i think this is why we don't really believe in guns, as most of us believe that it is a weapon, meant for killing. I think i would probably be scared, knowing that everyone on my block slept with a loaded gun under their pillow. but of course, i don't see the whole picture before i actually go to america.

but that was a terrific answer, you have been a great help

Old 12-04-2012, 05:05 PM   #23

Liked 749 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 586

Quote:
but i must ask, do you really think the second amendment still has it's place in modern politics? i mean, what are the chances of a tyrannical government taking over America today?
Look at the world around you...tyranny never goes out of style.

The comments made herein are those solely of this writer and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency, or entity.

Old 12-04-2012, 05:08 PM   #24

Liked 3680 Times on 1756 Posts
Likes Given: 619

If you were born before 1940 you would have a different outlook. Or if you were born before 1980, east Germany.

Congress shall have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American ... The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the People."
— Tench Coxe, 1788.

America has fought wars across the globe, because we kept our firearms while others let dictators take theirs...

Old 12-04-2012, 05:10 PM   #25

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials."
— George Mason,

America has fought wars across the globe, because we kept our firearms while others let dictators take theirs...

Old 12-04-2012, 05:12 PM   #26

As a Dane, have you ever been to Switzerland? If so, we're you afraid?

"The militia, when properly formed, are in fact the people themselves, ... all men capable of bearing arms;..."
— "Letters from the Federal Farmer to the Republic", 1788 (either Richard Henry Lee or Melancton Smith).

Old 12-04-2012, 05:13 PM   #27

And my personal favorite...

"How we burned in the prison camps later thinking: What would things have been like if every police operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive? If during periods of mass arrests people had not simply sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever was at hand? The organs would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and, notwithstanding all of Stalin's thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt."
— Alexander Solzhenitsyn, Nobel Prize winner and author of The Gulag Archipelago, who spent 11 years in Soviet concentration camps.

Old 12-04-2012, 05:16 PM   #28

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

well, i guess you couldn't be more right in that case. it is true that im not old enough to have actually experienced war on close hand, after all, im 18. the closest i have ever come to a gun is holding a luger, and an AK, at a museum.
but you people must understand that we in europe only get to see a black and white picture. on one hand, we see school shootings, massacres, and people protesting government for them mentioning gun politics, and on the other hand we have.... dare i say it in this forum?... Michael Moore (PLEASE DON'T BAN ME FOR MENTIONING HIM!!). Bowling for Colombine has been a huge succes, and im sorry to say it, but that has often had a big influence on peoples view on America.

Can i ask you guys another question? where do you draw your personal line? what should one be allowed to own? a handgun? An UZI? Weapon grade plutonium?

Old 12-04-2012, 05:20 PM   #29

Liked 749 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 586

Quote:
where do you draw your personal line? what should one be allowed to own? a handgun? An UZI? Weapon grade plutonium?
Now that's a good question...I await the answers

The comments made herein are those solely of this writer and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency, or entity.

Old 12-04-2012, 05:20 PM   #30

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

and yes, i have been to Switzerland, and no, i wasn't scared (probably wasn't even old enough to actually be scared about it back then, but thats beside the point).
i probably wouldn't be scared to go to the US either, but i wouldn't feel right knowing that everyone was potentially armed. it just heighten the risk of accidents happening