Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Little Featís Richie Hayward: 1946-2010 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/little-feat-s-richie-hayward-1946-2010-a-30410/)

Bigcountry02 08-14-2010 05:23 AM

Little Featís Richie Hayward: 1946-2010

This is from Little Feat website, very sad day indeed. Love the music.

Richie Hayward RIP!

Little Feat | Homepage

Little Feat | News

Our brother Richie Hayward was the baddest drummer that ever picked up sticks, the rhythm and pulse of Little Feat, and we lost him yesterday, August 12th, to pneumonia and complications from lung disease. Our prayers are with his soul mate Shauna, and all those who loved him. May he find peace.

Some of you might like to know more about Richie. He was born February 6, 1946 in Clear Lake, Iowa. He was in a band called The Factory in Los Angeles whose front man was Lowell George. Eventually, Lowell joined Frank Zappa, offered him the song ďWilliní,Ē and Frank wisely said, ďGo start your own band, son.Ē The result was Little Feat, and Richie was the first and, until his health took him off the kit in 2009, eternal drummer for Feat. He was the master of space, time, and drums, and he had as much to do with Featís sound as Lowellís voice, Billy Payneís keys, Paulís and Fredís guitars, Kennyís bass, or Samís percussion.

Donít just take Featís opinion: Richie played with seemingly half the members of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame at one time or another, an LA session star who was a peer of people like Ry Cooder and Van Dyke Parks. He recorded and performed with Eric Clapton, James Cotton, Bob Dylan, Buddy Guy, Robert Plant, Carly Simon, Tom Waits, Warren Zevon, and many, many more.

The worldís a little quieter and a lot less rhythmic today, although heavenís a lot funkier. We urge everyone to hug your loved ones, light a candle, listen to something righteous, and pledge to give more to the world Ė because Richie sure did.

Anyone wishing to remember Richie financially is invited by the family to make a donation to Sweet Relief, the Richie Hayward Fund, at Sweet Relief

DrumJunkie 08-14-2010 05:30 AM

Waiting for Columbus has been a favorite of mine for a good while. I always look to a bands live shows as a good way to see their talent. You don't have all the doodads and toys to make things sound cool. I don't know if I'd go as far to call him the baddest drummers but he was easily one of the best in Feats Genre. The man did have a flavor that was a little different than the cookie cutter drummers that have somehow got a much bigger name. This is very sad news indeed. Now I need to get my headphones and listen do some Feat. Cause there's a fat man - in the bath tub - with the bluuuuuues:(

CA357 08-14-2010 05:36 AM

Rest in peace Richie. From a long time Feat fan.