Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > A Little 4 Wheelin'

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2012, 02:05 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 293 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 25

As dragunovsks says, this kind of wheelin' doesn't occur on public lands..So who should care or even give an eff?

Old 12-13-2012, 03:01 AM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragunovsks View Post
I don't get what the fuss is about when people complain about "tearing up the trails". We've gone wheeling on atvs and 4x4 trucks and unless your digging a big hole with a trackhoe and leavin it the land will be fine. Vegetation will regrow and you won't be able to tell anyone was ever there.
In the east vegetation can grow back given some relief but out west it is a different story, damage to active trails can last almost indefinitely due to the limited growing seasons. No growth means runoff during the snow and rain causing further damage. I've seen closed trails take years to recover. In Moab, Utah there are Crytobiotic Soils that are extremely vulnerable to damage. There are studies that suggest that it takes 5-7 years to rebuild the surface damage caused by a foot print while the full recovery of the nutrients may take 50 years, imagine what a tire would do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm14 View Post
As dragunovsks says, this kind of wheelin' doesn't occur on public lands..So who should care or even give an eff?
In the last 35 years I've four-wheeled most of Colorado, Utah and parts of Cali and I can assure you stuff like that occurs on public lands, I have witnessed it firsthand.
I have also spent many volunteer hours along with the guys in my 4x4 club and the Forest Service repairing damage and rebuilding trails so that the FS doesn't close them. There are cases where the damage and abuse was too wide spread and they were closed forever to vehicles.
Back east there is far less public land and so the private off-road parks provide an outlet for users but when someone watches a video like that it is impossible to know whether it is public or private land.
The anti 4-wheelin groups are just like the anti-gun groups who don't get why we have guns so they decide we don't need them. Anti off-road doesn't understand 4-wheeling so they look for any opportunity to make users look bad. Don't gun owners rant and rave about the term "assault rifle" or cry out when somebody calls an AR a "machine gun" because of the damage it does to the image of the gun owner .... same thing with the 4-wheel community.
So I care and I give an eff about how 4-wheeling appears to others because I know that it can result in more trail closures when someone mistakes private land for public and/or sees only the destruction of the land .... it might mean one less trail for me to explore

What if there were no hypothetical questions?

Last edited by TCH2FLY; 12-13-2012 at 03:46 PM.
JSStryker Likes This