Listened To KSL Radio In Salt Lake Today
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Listened To KSL Radio In Salt Lake Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2013, 04:40 AM   #1
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8501 Times on 4919 Posts
Likes Given: 11053

Default Listened To KSL Radio In Salt Lake Today

Funny thing is that I was driving home from my mom's place in Santa Cruz CA. I got in the truck and was just searching on the AM band and KSL 1160 came in as clear as a bell, I listened for awhile before I realized it was from SLC Utah. That doesn't happen too often, but if you know anything about radio it is easy to understand (atmospheric skip).

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-29-2013, 05:08 AM   #2
Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1954 Times on 1136 Posts
Likes Given: 4105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
Funny thing is that I was driving home from my mom's place in Santa Cruz CA. I got in the truck and was just searching on the AM band and KSL 1160 came in as clear as a bell, I listened for awhile before I realized it was from SLC Utah. That doesn't happen too often, but if you know anything about radio it is easy to understand (atmospheric skip).
That is in a nice bounce for AM Station.

Old 01-29-2013, 05:22 AM   #3

Liked 41 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 230

That's a very powerful station and perhaps they've set up the antenna to beam towards the West coast. At night time it really comes in good here in the valleys of S.W. Oregon.

Old 01-29-2013, 05:32 AM   #4

I have never heard it before but it was booming in tonight. Could have something to so with the salt lake (awesome ground plane for the antenna). I wonder how many watts they are running? (do radio stations even advertise that anymore?)

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."

Old 01-29-2013, 05:35 AM   #5

KGO radio here in the SF Bay Area used to be heard all the way up into Canada and down into Baja at night. Their transmitter/antennas sit in the salt flats of the SF Bay and they are kicking out 50,000 watts.

Quote:

Old 01-29-2013, 05:38 AM   #6

I just checked and the KSL transmitter sits on top of Farnsworth Peak at 9,066 feet southwest of SLC and puts out 50,000 watts.

Quote:

Old 01-29-2013, 05:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking View Post
That's a very powerful station and perhaps they've set up the antenna to beam towards the West coast. At night time it really comes in good here in the valleys of S.W. Oregon.
All broadcast radio antennas are omnidirectional. The stations want to cover as much area as they can, and the only way to do that is to send it out in all directions. Its all about the Watts and the terrain has a lot to do with it as well. As I said earlier, a body of salt water makes an excellent ground plane. Best place on the planet to be for radio is in a steel hulled ship (actually copper would be better) out in the middle of the ocean. You can cover a lot of the planet on low power with that setup.

Quote:

Old 01-29-2013, 05:52 AM   #8

Liked 43 Times on 21 Posts

KSL can kiss my a$$!! They at one point were the biggest gun classified in SLC but as soon as Obummer and the gang started in on the ban talk KSL completely shut down anything to do with firearms.. A lot of people around here are completely done with them. Of course a couple of good sites popped right up to fill the void, utahguns.com and utahgunexchange.com are both decent sights from what I can tell.

Old 01-29-2013, 02:15 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1787 Times on 1170 Posts
Likes Given: 1540

KMOX out of St. Louis is a 50,000 watt station, they are heard all over the Midwest.

“Somebody has to speak for these people. Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything, I know this—they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people...better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave.” Mal Reynolds Serenity/Firefly

Old 01-29-2013, 06:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshH View Post
KSL can kiss my a$$!! They at one point were the biggest gun classified in SLC but as soon as Obummer and the gang started in on the ban talk KSL completely shut down anything to do with firearms.. A lot of people around here are completely done with them. Of course a couple of good sites popped right up to fill the void, utahguns.com and utahgunexchange.com are both decent sights from what I can tell.
Well OK then!

Quote: