Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Listened To KSL Radio In Salt Lake Today (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/listened-ksl-radio-salt-lake-today-82758/)

Vikingdad 01-29-2013 05:40 AM

Listened To KSL Radio In Salt Lake Today
 
Funny thing is that I was driving home from my mom's place in Santa Cruz CA. I got in the truck and was just searching on the AM band and KSL 1160 came in as clear as a bell, I listened for awhile before I realized it was from SLC Utah. That doesn't happen too often, but if you know anything about radio it is easy to understand (atmospheric skip).

Bigcountry02 01-29-2013 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vikingdad (Post 1114603)
Funny thing is that I was driving home from my mom's place in Santa Cruz CA. I got in the truck and was just searching on the AM band and KSL 1160 came in as clear as a bell, I listened for awhile before I realized it was from SLC Utah. That doesn't happen too often, but if you know anything about radio it is easy to understand (atmospheric skip).

That is in a nice bounce for AM Station.

Viking 01-29-2013 06:22 AM

That's a very powerful station and perhaps they've set up the antenna to beam towards the West coast. At night time it really comes in good here in the valleys of S.W. Oregon.

Vikingdad 01-29-2013 06:32 AM

I have never heard it before but it was booming in tonight. Could have something to so with the salt lake (awesome ground plane for the antenna). I wonder how many watts they are running? (do radio stations even advertise that anymore?)

Vikingdad 01-29-2013 06:35 AM

KGO radio here in the SF Bay Area used to be heard all the way up into Canada and down into Baja at night. Their transmitter/antennas sit in the salt flats of the SF Bay and they are kicking out 50,000 watts.

Vikingdad 01-29-2013 06:38 AM

I just checked and the KSL transmitter sits on top of Farnsworth Peak at 9,066 feet southwest of SLC and puts out 50,000 watts.

Vikingdad 01-29-2013 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Viking (Post 1114633)
That's a very powerful station and perhaps they've set up the antenna to beam towards the West coast. At night time it really comes in good here in the valleys of S.W. Oregon.

All broadcast radio antennas are omnidirectional. The stations want to cover as much area as they can, and the only way to do that is to send it out in all directions. Its all about the Watts and the terrain has a lot to do with it as well. As I said earlier, a body of salt water makes an excellent ground plane. Best place on the planet to be for radio is in a steel hulled ship (actually copper would be better;)) out in the middle of the ocean. You can cover a lot of the planet on low power with that setup.

JoshH 01-29-2013 06:52 AM

KSL can kiss my a$$!! They at one point were the biggest gun classified in SLC but as soon as Obummer and the gang started in on the ban talk KSL completely shut down anything to do with firearms.. A lot of people around here are completely done with them. Of course a couple of good sites popped right up to fill the void, utahguns.com and utahgunexchange.com are both decent sights from what I can tell.

DFlynt 01-29-2013 03:15 PM

KMOX out of St. Louis is a 50,000 watt station, they are heard all over the Midwest.

Vikingdad 01-29-2013 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoshH (Post 1114657)
KSL can kiss my a$$!! They at one point were the biggest gun classified in SLC but as soon as Obummer and the gang started in on the ban talk KSL completely shut down anything to do with firearms.. A lot of people around here are completely done with them. Of course a couple of good sites popped right up to fill the void, utahguns.com and utahgunexchange.com are both decent sights from what I can tell.

Well OK then!


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:39 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.