Linux (Red Hat) - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Linux (Red Hat)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2013, 08:37 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2415 Times on 1331 Posts
Likes Given: 333

Linux is fun to play around with. You can do some extremely freaky things on it. Ubuntu runs great. And if you're into geeky stuff, so does Backtrack. You can download the GUI files. There are tons of how to videos on YouTube. I've never messed around with Red Hat.

"...it is ...ALIVE!!!"

Old 08-27-2013, 08:56 AM   #12

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

There are literally tons of Linux tutorial sites to help with new nix users. Ubuntu seems to be the most user friendly at the moment but things change really fast in the Nix world. I've messed around with it for years off and on. If you want ot check it out and not want to do a full install get a live disc and boot it form a ROM drive. It's slower but if you don't like it you still have your other operating system. Me, I have a few different partitions on hard drives and can boot fdomr any of a few different OS when the mood or need strikes.

You can really get used to the I Don't have to restart all the time things like with Winders.

http://iso.linuxquestions.org/index.php <-- has many distros of Linux to choose form. There are several different types of just about all of them. That is the deal with open source software. People will like say..Red Hat but they want it do do things a little different so they just decompile it and recompile it. The deal with Linux has always been do what ever you want with it but if you make changes post them. Linux is really the work of many-many people. And it's come a long way. I've seen it as the future of computing for a good while. And after seeing Win 8 I can see the end times for that OS on the horizon.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 08-27-2013, 02:03 PM   #13

Liked 134 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 243

wow, these are all great and encouraging posts from those who know Linux or have messed with it a little themselves and from those who are also inexperienced and curious like me.

I did get a free version of ubuntu up and running on a spare machine at work and was amazed how easily and quickly i was able to do so considering i have zero experience with it.

then a musician friend of mine who does some programming mentioned fedora and red hat, and that the NSA uses their own version of red hat, so that put the bug in me as well. Coincidentally i've been wanting to learn more with respect to IT and network security, rootkits and reverse engineering, and all that so i signed up for an online Linux class to assist me with the learning curve.

as intimidating as it can be, i am excited about getting back into programming from the shell mode or command line. hopefully i can keep up with it all long enough to get some credible certifications behind my belt. and if not, i'm pretty sure what little i manage to learn will still be useful here at work or just as an individual in this ever increasing cyber age we live in (keeping my wife's and my mobile devices secure)