Linux on laptops
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Linux on laptops

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2009, 05:16 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 26 Times on 7 Posts

Default Linux on laptops

I rarely use any Windows systems at home anymore as they are just to prone to viruses & spyware. I've tested most of the major Linux distributions over the past few months and I've found a really good one. I ran Ubuntu for a while and it's stable but it updates itself constantly which is irritating.

Anyway, if you're looking for a compact and fast Linux distro - take a look at Zenwalk. It's based on Slackware but it has been stripped down so mere mortals can get it up and operating quickly. It worked with no tinkering (even wireless) on both my laptops (Sony & Toshiba). It comes with all the software most folks need (including the latest OpenOffice 3.1). The only drawback is you need to setup a main & swap partition before going to install it - not a problem to do though.

Both mine are dual boot with XP & Zenwalk and they work just like they should...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-22-2009, 07:37 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I've been tempted to make the switch many times. I ran Xubuntu off of a boot disk for a while, but couldn't get a lot of stuff to work because it was coming off of a boot disk. I have absolutely no idea on how to partition a drive anyway.

Unfortunately, I need Windows for it's app software. I have to work from Office 2007 and my phone and camera require Windows for their software to run.

Since I got a new 'puter with Vista on it, I've changed my views on Vista. It is a resource hog, but it runs stable on my machine without the bugs and crashes of XP.

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 10-22-2009, 07:40 PM   #3

I too have Windows apps that I must use, hence the dual-boot on both my systems. I use the interwebz mainly from Linux as it's much safer. Besides, Linux is free. My newest came with Vista and I absolutely hate it, I'm rolling that one back to XP-SP3 tonight...

Old 10-22-2009, 09:29 PM   #4

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts

you can always get vmware workstation (Costly at $189) then you can run what ever OS you want in a virtual drive. You can run windows XP inside of vista then when the xp get a virus or slows down just delete it and do up a new one. Same with linux run it on a virtual drive and still have windows at hand at the same time.

I have used vmware fusion for mac to run windows on a mac. Macs are the best windows machines to ever be made.

I have SUSE Linux on my laptop right now with Win XP. I like linux because most of them are a lot faster than windows. Ubuntu was just as slow because it was almost windows but open source. I didn't like it at all.

NGIB can I ask what wireless cards are you running? I have a 3com and there is zero drivers out for 3com cards. you have to use ndis wrapper for it and it is a real pain in the ares.

Old 10-23-2009, 03:14 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
I have used vmware fusion for mac to run windows on a mac. Macs are the best windows machines to ever be made.
I do exactly the same. It's amazing how well Windows runs on a Mac under VMware Fusion.

One of the best parts of this set-up is that VMware Fusion allows you to check-point your Windows installation. This means that you can take a "snapshot" of your virtual Windows machine at any time and then revert to it with a simple push of a button. If something screws up your Windows installation, you're just one click away from returning to a clean system.

Of course, there's also the advantage of being able to run Mac and Windows software side-by-side, complete with being able to cut/paste between the two environments.

Old 10-23-2009, 03:58 AM   #6

Liked 31 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Our technologist is a Linux/Unix man. He's got all the goodies for it, too.

LINUX Sticking it to the man since 1970!

Old 10-23-2009, 10:42 AM   #7
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

I've been using Linux since version 0.12 when Linus Torvalds first released the kernel he was tinkering with. That was back in 1991 or 1992. Thanks for the tip on Zenwalk -- I'll check it out. Over the years, I've tried a bunch of distros and getting Linux to walk on laptops early on was a gigantic pain in the arse.

Easeus is reputed to be a good, free Windows app to repartition your drive without losing any data. There are commercial options available, too.

Old 10-23-2009, 12:00 PM   #8

Tango, both of my computers are reasonably new notebooks (Sony & Toshiba) and one has an Intel Pro NIC and the other has an Atheros NIC.

bkt, I have found Zenwalk to be everything I need in a linux distro and nothing I don't. Some of the new distros rival Vista for the amount of crap they contain - I wanted something with a stable core and a good basic set of applications. It installed on my new Sony notebook perfectly and everything worked (including wireless) with no tinkering at all. On my Toshiba, I had to comment out the "e100" driver line in the "blacklist" file so it would see my wired network adapter, wireless worked fine...

Last edited by NGIB; 10-23-2009 at 12:02 PM.