Like Watching a Trainwreck.... - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Like Watching a Trainwreck....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2009, 02:00 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3485 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Anyways............

So these Engineering Students are trying to build this contraption and they have duct tape going, there is bailing wire, there is the most rickety platform for some sort of golfball, railing, travel fuse thingy ( that's the technical term so bite me ) - Man alive, I was in tears......

They needed a cannon, so team 3 "borrows" a potato cannon from some group on campus and demonstrates it for the teachers. The potato went about 20 inches from the launcher and one of the teachers burst out laughing.... LOL

Later on the teacher ended up making a super cool, super simple black powder cannon that fired an 8 inch bowling ball about 400 feet through the air.

It's definitely got a Mythbusters type of feel to it, but the people performing the works of "science" are definitely NOT the experienced type.
Of the whole 6 person build team, one dude could run a table saw and swing a hammer. The rest of them looked like a bunch of Muppets.

Definitely going to tune in next week and see what new disaster they recreate.... LOL

Old 06-15-2009, 02:22 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 31 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXnorton View Post
My design philosophy is KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid).

TXnorton

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnthmn2004 View Post
...just a bunch of nerds who haven't lifted a hammer before in their life trying to build Rube Goldberg machines...
That's why Wile E. Coyote was so funny.

That was the point of the cartoons...Rube Goldberg devices to do some very simple task. I grew up in the 50s and there was a newspaper cartoon (for the life of me I can't remember its name though...maybe Smokey Joe or something) that featured Rube Goldberg devices just randomly tossed into the mix. There would be this overly complex device just to light the character's cigar or toss a piece of paper into the trash can.

In fact, the Milton Bradley game, Mousetrap, is a Rube Goldberg device.